Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a benefit fraud.. and living in Spain?

Originally Posted by scampicat
Can you clarify?

Do you mean me, for giving advice on the forum?

Or do you mean the people who 'grass'?
Not you, of course not. I did think of using the more correct 'one' but I thought it would seem pedantic.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:42 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There are plenty of people who say that much of the benefit fraud is caused by the complexity and at times disorganised way that many of the benefits are not only paid but also distributed, many feel that paying winter fuel allowances to countries like Spain and Portugal is theft, it is for the authorities to uphold law, not for a societies citizens to enforce the ones they like. I have asked this a dozen times on here, how many of us have by design or by default, or even in a lost moment, just gone over the speed limit? Thats illegal, and it costs lives. Pandoras box in my opinion.

Yes, I agree sometimes the Benefits system is hard to understand.

People living in the EU who are legitimately entitled to the Winter Fuel Allowance are not commiting Benefit fraud though, are they? It is a European decision to allow this IF you qualified for it before leaving the UK. Also some other UK Benefits are exportable here, so if people are entitled to them, they are not committing fraud.

I am not talking about legitimate claimants, I am talking about the ones who fraudulently claim, either here or in the UK.

And, I hasten to add, so far I have reported nobody!

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 31st 2010 at 4:47 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Not you, of course not. I did think of using the more correct 'one' but I thought it would seem pedantic.
Thanks! I didn't really think you meant me!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well, I imagine she still tries it on. If you get a fresh influx of language student tenants every 2 or 4 weeks, it must be quite lucrative to withhold the deposit, even if it only works part of the time.
Yeah, and on the one occasion when one of them reports her, she will be in a world of financial pain.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:44 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bil
I really don't feel it's exactly the same.
They are both theft.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:44 pm
bil
Banned

There are plenty of people who say that much of the benefit fraud is caused by the complexity and at times disorganised way that many of the benefits are not only paid but also distributed, many feel that paying winter fuel allowances to countries like Spain and Portugal is theft, it is for the authorities to uphold law, not for a societies citizens to enforce the ones they like. I have asked this a dozen times on here, how many of us have by design or by default, or even in a lost moment, just gone over the speed limit? Thats illegal, and it costs lives. Pandoras box in my opinion.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:46 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bil
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?
And this is why so far I have reported no-one, although I disagree with Benefit fraud.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

And, I hasten to add, so far I have reported nobody!
I know you haven't and I have been very careful not to suggest you have, I am simply discussing the can of worms it opens if someone did. As I said, laws are set by governments and change each year, who knows what will become law next year, or the next?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:56 pm
bil
Banned

And this is why so far I have reported no-one, although I disagree with Benefit fraud.
I just feel that some types of theft are worse than others.

If I find money on the street, and I pick it up, it is theft by finding. If you take home from the office so much as a paperclip, that too is theft.

Stealing form the state isn't as bad as stealing from someone who is hard up.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:57 pm
bil
Banned

I know you haven't and I have been very careful not to suggest you have, I am simply discussing the can of worms it opens if someone did. As I said, laws are set by governments and change each year, who knows what will become law next year, or the next?
I don't know if it is true, but it has an awful ring of truth about it, that these days it is effectively impossible to own a car and walk down the street without breaking a law somewhere.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Isn't there an area of Wales with an average rainfall of 3 hours a day?
Probably, but I bet they'd rather live there than Écija!
http://www.20minutos.tv/video/dnvwBE...z-en-un-mes/0/
Old Dec 31st 2010, 10:49 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Probably, but I bet they'd rather live there than Écija!
http://www.20minutos.tv/video/dnvwBE...z-en-un-mes/0/
Or any one of the flooded out English towns. What was the name of the one that was almost washed away a year or two ago?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

They are both theft.
I think that one of the problems is that a lot of people see benefit fraud as a victimless crime and the state, just like the insurance companies, can afford it. But in the end it is we, the people, who pay for it.

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:49 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I think that one of the problems is that a lot of people see benefit fraud as a victimless crime and the state, just like the insurance companies, can afford it. But in the end it is we, the people, who pay for it.

Jim
Absolutely. It is not a victimless crime and in the end those who need the Benefits most are penalised for it.

Sickness Benefits are now very difficult to get because so many people in the past have fiddled them. The Government have put so many hoops to climb through. This means that genuinely sick people, especially those with mental health problems,who can't cope with the process, end up not getting the help and support that they need.

(I'm not saying, by the way, that there should NOT be checks made on people claiming sickness Benefits!).

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 1st 2011 at 7:54 am.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I am ashamed to say I have never been to Wales, maybe will do a recce this year

Back to benefits. I don't think I could cold-bloodily report anyone, even though I don't agree with the fiddlers. The whole benefit system is out of control and I don't think it will ever be fair.

Just a point about the disability allowance...if some people receiving it are not visibly affected, look healthy and appear to lead a normal life why should they get money for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.