Yong Family moving to Costa del sol, Any advice

Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Charlene_2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Yong Family moving to Costa del sol, Any advice

Hi everyone

Just joined today

I am 27 and my partner and I, as well as our 3yr old are looking to relocate from Glasgow to costa del sol, around this time next year. Just doing some research at the moment and looking for advice/tips.

My partner works offshore (Aberdeen) and he will continue to commute each month when we are in Spain and earns enough to be able to support us as a family when we relocate. I however too will be hoping to find work (I have qualifications in care sector, customer service and beauty/nail tech). We will also have savings behind us

Looking for advice on where to begin. We would like to locate to costa del sol, close to airport (malaga or alicante), within about 30/40min drive. And rent for an initial 6months to find our feet. Would ideally like to be based in a complex or apartment block wIth neighbours close by.

Any Advice is welcomed, we plan on 2 trips where we can hire car and look at specific areas and get a feel for the place. Also would like to be within reasonable distance from all amenities.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yong Family moving to Costa del sol, Any advice

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

If your OH has work and not looking for it here then you have a head start, but Alicante is not CDS lol, it will be one or the other. (Málaga or Alicante) not sure how many jobs out there for you but in the care sector I think you would need a cross over to work within Spain, remember no benefits and no NHS you will need private health care until rules change or you receive your pensions.

I will leave others from CDS to advise on the area as we are nearer Almería, well an hour away.

I wish you luck.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Are you Chinese ?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:31 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

You'll certainly see more of the sun than in Glasgow!
One thing that may prove problematical in the future is the flights. Don't assume there will always be budget flights available. But it appears to work for other couples.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

you should understand that UK qualifications hold little respect in Spain and that despite the so called "transferrable" nature of such quals you will have to take again in Spain, in Spanish, no allowances as you may have seen in the Uk with poor English speakers.

be prepared to be out of work far far longer than you feel would be normal, along with the 50% of those Spaniards in the 25-40 age group in the South of Spain. You will not be able to get any unemployment benefit, but can talk to yuor local JobCentre before leaving about registering and can get up to 6m credit under the EU jobseeker transfer rules. You will need to get an NIE immediately as the Spaniards will not talk to you without one.

let us know how you get on
rgds
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

No, Im not Chinese, small typo!

I have thought about the possibility i will be unemployed however will be doing everything i can to find work of any kind, along with the other jobseekers most likely. My partner will be earning enough to support us as a family and will also have savings as a back up untill. Thank you for the advice though regarding the job centre, i will look into this!

Does anyone have any clue as to how it works with owning property (and renting out) in the uk whilst living and paying taxes to Spain and not to UK?

We are already aware of taking on private health care and most prob private nursery/schools.

Sad to hear about the budget flights. One of the main reasons we were considering CDS is due to they year round budget, short flights

Is there any areas anyone would recommend looking at and any suggestions for property rental websites?

Thank you for the welcome Rosemary

x
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charlene_2012
No, Im not Chinese, small typo!

I have thought about the possibility i will be unemployed however will be doing everything i can to find work of any kind, along with the other jobseekers most likely. My partner will be earning enough to support us as a family and will also have savings as a back up untill. Thank you for the advice though regarding the job centre, i will look into this!

Does anyone have any clue as to how it works with owning property (and renting out) in the uk whilst living and paying taxes to Spain and not to UK?

We are already aware of taking on private health care and most prob private nursery/schools.

Sad to hear about the budget flights. One of the main reasons we were considering CDS is due to they year round budget, short flights

Is there any areas anyone would recommend looking at and any suggestions for property rental websites?

Thank you for the welcome Rosemary

x
if your husband is working or paying tax/NI in the UK or for a UK company, get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle & ask about the S1 - that entitles you to healthcare here by way of a reciprocal agreement

his income should also be enough to prove that you can support yourselves, so no need for private schools - you should be able to register as residents easily enough
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Lynnxa; He intends in working offshore (north sea) and becoming a resident of Spain and paying taxes to Spain and not in the UK.

However we have 2 properties in the UK which are rented out. Someone mentioned that this causes a bit of hassle for some reason Somethng to do with still earning in the UK?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

there doesnt have to be any hassle about rental income from properties in the UK - you have to pay tax on that income.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm
will give you all the info you need
there are a number of expats who use this procedure

as to working then you both need to look at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...kers/DG_173236

in your case, where you may be giving up a job then discuss with the Jobcentre about
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ts/DG_10035686
if you are registered as unemployed and move to anothe EU country you can get your JSA paid for a limited period, subject to checks by the equivalent authority in the country you move to to seek work.

hope this helps
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, the best of luck with whatever you decide, but I should ask about whether you are prepared for the periods of time without your husband? I know of 2 couples in the same circumstances (1 now divorced!) where the husbands work away off-shore and the partners are/were here in Spain. It's not very easy on a relationship.
You will no doubt be separated currently for periods of time, but I presume during his absences you have friends and family. Here, in the early days you will be on your own and may find things very difficult to deal with especially with a young child and the differences in culture, not to mention the language.
I'm not trying to pour cold water on your idea, but starting a new life here is a challenge at whatever time of life and whatever are the personal circumstances.
I don't know what property considerations you have but before buying I would suggest you rent for a year and try out what it will be like for you and your child alone here during the periods your partner is away.
On a dark and cold winter's night in Spain, on your own and perhaps homesick is not a happy prospect.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Firstly, the best of luck with whatever you decide, but I should ask about whether you are prepared for the periods of time without your husband? I know of 2 couples in the same circumstances (1 now divorced!) where the husbands work away off-shore and the partners are/were here in Spain. It's not very easy on a relationship.
You will no doubt be separated currently for periods of time, but I presume during his absences you have friends and family. Here, in the early days you will be on your own and may find things very difficult to deal with especially with a young child and the differences in culture, not to mention the language.
I'm not trying to pour cold water on your idea, but starting a new life here is a challenge at whatever time of life and whatever are the personal circumstances.
I don't know what property considerations you have but before buying I would suggest you rent for a year and try out what it will be like for you and your child alone here during the periods your partner is away.
On a dark and cold winter's night in Spain, on your own and perhaps homesick is not a happy prospect.
when we first came here my OH worked away a lot - always had done & always did

I thought I was used to it, but you're right, at first it was extra hard because I didn't know anyone - in a strange country with no real knowledge of the language & no support system of friends

after a short time though, I met lots of other women here in the same position as me - something I never had in the UK, as all my friends there had husbands at home all the time, so didn't understand the challenges of being a part-time single mum

it took a few months, but it was, in the end, actually easier here than in the UK - probably because of the common bond we shared.......... my area seems to attract families with one commuting or offshore working partner
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
when we first came here my OH worked away a lot - always had done & always did
it took a few months, but it was, in the end, actually easier here than in the UK - probably because of the common bond we shared.......... my area seems to attract families with one commuting or offshore working partner
Good point you make I think. I just wanted to make it clear that the OP should be prepared for the isolation and perhaps loneliness & homesickness in those early months. For some though the homesickness never goes away and that's a difficult issue.
The location chosen should be an important consideration. You've clearly been lucky. I've known too many who've bought on a whim following a quick visit, some 'idyllic' place in the mountains giving peace & tranquillity only to later have to come to terms with the reality of no supplied electricity, telephone, water etc, not to mention their isolation and the vulnerability of them and the property.
Sounds like I'm being really negative doesn't it? I don't mean to be. I just want people to come with their eyes open, be prepared and choose an area where some friendship & support is available.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Biffta
Good point you make I think. I just wanted to make it clear that the OP should be prepared for the isolation and perhaps loneliness & homesickness in those early months. For some though the homesickness never goes away and that's a difficult issue.
The location chosen should be an important consideration. You've clearly been lucky. I've known too many who've bought on a whim following a quick visit, some 'idyllic' place in the mountains giving peace & tranquillity only to later have to come to terms with the reality of no supplied electricity, telephone, water etc, not to mention their isolation and the vulnerability of them and the property.
Sounds like I'm being really negative doesn't it? I don't mean to be. I just want people to come with their eyes open, be prepared and choose an area where some friendship & support is available.
you're right about location - once I'd got over the dream of wanting a villa with a view & a private pool & realised it just wasn't practical for our family & moved back to the 'town' we settled into really living here - proper neighbours, getting to know local shopkeepers & so on - real life

thankfully we've always rented - so easy to move
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:59 am

good points people, it sounds just the thing - working offshore, 3 weeks on 3weeks off or whatever and then returning to the family. Good money, etc.

I have seen it from an Armed Forces point of view, where some wives, even living in the middle of an estate of wives, never settle to being alone even if working or with kids.
But also the effect on the husband/father, missing all those "little moments" of the kids growing up, not being there for a special day.
It is hard on both parties and the kids.

I found that my (now ex) wife couldnt settle to married life with the military, this carried on through out our marriage and she had to go home to mum every 2-3 months for at least a week (I don't think it was my fault just she wanted to be with her mum, to the point where our daughter was worried about it.)

I am now with someone else, we had been looking at Spain or Italy for retirement and a job came up for her in Spain working for a UK based company. She took it with a view to see if she could settle in a foreign land. That was 3 years ago, still here, moved twice since then. I have moved from the UK, we have a house in a village of 5,000 (is that a village?), and we are enjoying it. Yes she still works but retirement is just around the corner and I will be glad to give up some of my housework responsibilities.
But it has been hard for us, the level of commitment to each other, to the project, the foreign language.
But no kids, just the dog.

All I will say is - it will put previously unknown (and unwanted) stresses on a relationship, some can handle it some can't. That is what makes a Forces Wife.
rgds