Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you pay 160 euros for the greatest meal of your life?

Would you pay 160 euros for the greatest meal of your life?

Old May 9th 2013, 12:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you pay 160 euros for the greatest meal of your life?

http://www.bacononthebeech.com/2013/...bao-spain.html
How do you begin to describe the greatest meal of your life? Well I'll start from the beginning. We've always wanted to go to the Basque Country. It remains one of the last regions of Spain that we've not been to. I've been diligently collecting newspaper articles about San Sebastian for several years.
Well, I wouldn't rule it out, if budget allows. After all people pay more than that for a top sporting event or a top-lining concert. Hard to make a decision based on a blog article though - I'd try and listen to someone I already know who's actually been there (Azurmendi).
Old May 9th 2013, 12:21 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you pay 160 euros for the greatest meal of your life?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

Well, I wouldn't rule it out, if budget allows. After all people pay more than that for a top sporting event or a top-lining concert. Hard to make a decision based on a blog article though - I'd try and listen to someone I already know who's actually been there (Azurmendi).
The answer is NO

and who says it is so good, I have heard it said about prawns on the barbie on the Bondi - but it wasnt all that it was supposed to be.
had a marvellous meal in Cape Town, marvellous meal in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malta, Milan, California, Tokyo.....

But without the right person, at the right time, it is all nothing, and anyway the next meal could easily be the greatest.
Old May 9th 2013, 12:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
The answer is NO

and who says it is so good, I have heard it said about prawns on the barbie on the Bondi - but it wasnt all that it was supposed to be.
had a marvellous meal in Cape Town, marvellous meal in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malta, Milan, California, Tokyo.....

But without the right person, at the right time, it is all nothing, and anyway the next meal could easily be the greatest.
Good point about going in company - I doubt few would want to sit through all those courses alone..
Old May 9th 2013, 12:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks very impressive food. Reads like an advertisement...why was the restaurant completely empty and all those photos of food but none of the complete table set up
Old May 9th 2013, 2:20 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

In a word - no. It all looks incredibly fussy. I like good food but I'm not by any means a 'foodie'. So - not that style and not anywhere near that price.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about going in company - I doubt few would want to sit through all those courses alone..
end of last year I went to a "top notch" Granada hotel, plenty of recommendations (paid for?), marvellous view from its high up location.

except that I had forebodings when we arrived slightly late to share the lift with a maitre d' who wasn't fully dressed, we had to wait 15mins for service to start, the waitress knew nothing about serving (from the wrong side), plates freezing cold, menu poorly printed on homemade A5 70gsm paper with crooked sides. Beef was so rare that it was almost still on the animal.

Picky ? Moi ?
Perhaps, or is it just standards and there is no way I would recommend the place to my worst enemy. That they have had to resort to a 60% special offer via Ideal newspaper probably means I am not the only one not recommending.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
In a word - no. It all looks incredibly fussy. I like good food but I'm not by any means a 'foodie'. So - not that style and not anywhere near that price.

My sentiments exactly.

So where's the main course ?
That lot would hardly even make a decent starter.

160e could buy 30 menu del dias for those who really need it.

That sort of thing always crosses my mind when eating out, even at more modest restaurants, when I see lots of decent food going back to the kitchen uneaten and wasted.
Though no doubt there's quite a few corrupt politicians out to impress their dodgy pals, who wouldn't give such things a second thought.

I'd take a few top quality English butchers pies against that lot any day and still have enough left over for a good night out or two.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

I've collected a few articles over the years if you wish me to send them to you.
mostly eating etc in Bilbao, San Sebastian & Zarautz.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
My sentiments exactly.

So where's the main course ?
That lot would hardly even make a decent starter.
Menus

http://www.azurmendi.biz/restaurante...zcaya-menu.php
No prices

http://www.azurmendi.biz/restaurante-lujo-vizcaya.php
It’s a whimsically created concept, mobile pastry shop, counters where the food is cooked on display, a healthy and enjoyable cuisine with a daily changing menu and at the modest price of 36 euros + I.V.A.

Well I will be in Bilbao in a couple of weeks, we will see

retired in euzkadi has been good enough to PM me more details of I hope slightly cheaper places
Old May 11th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

The real pleasure of eating out is the company and money doesn't buy that so the answer is no.

Go somewhere more modest and if the rest of the money is burning a hole in your pocket give it to a local soup-kitchen or the like.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

itsmeme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachelk
The real pleasure of eating out is the company and money doesn't buy that so the answer is no.

Go somewhere more modest and if the rest of the money is burning a hole in your pocket give it to a local soup-kitchen or the like.
it does seem excessive.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:51 pm

I have said it before..........
you can get a good Menu del Dia at the La Cueva de Grana in the Calle Rector Marin Ocete in Granada and come out feeling bloated for €3.50 a head + drinks.
The company I have each week is well worth it.

As others are saying it depends on
Who you are with
Where you are

Money is really a secondary

`
Old May 12th 2013, 5:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't any of you eat out for dinner
Old May 12th 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Don't any of you eat out for dinner
every week - see 12 above
+ birthdays and special days

you haven't been round for a sample of my cooking
Old May 12th 2013, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Personally the cost of a meal is unimportant so long as you have enjoyed it and feel it was value for money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.