Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you go back to the UK ?

Would you go back to the UK ?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you go back to the UK ?

So why are there thousands of British homes on sale. I know about 25 couples who have been trying to sell in Spain for years. They aren't desperate but would prefer to leave. Sometimes , when you have been there for such a long time it's difficult to contemplate a move if you are getting older. However, with two teenage boys I know where I would rather be if only for their sake!

Not sure about the crime rate, don't know the stats but Spain isn't better than the UK for crime on the surface.

I have to question why anyone who is content feels the need to ask would you go back.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So why are there thousands of British homes on sale. I know about 25 couples who have been trying to sell in Spain for years.
Sold our place almost immediately.

I'm going back because I want to. Not because I'm forced to, but because our time in Spain has come to an end.

The UK is fine. Right now, even the weather is good :-)
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I'm going back because I want to. Not because I'm forced to, but because our time in Spain has come to an end.

Not surprised that your place sold quickly, very pleased for you. You are returning for the best reason too. At the moment I am still content to stay but I am aware that at some point in the future I may decide to return but when I do it will be because it is the right thing to do at the time.

Rosemary
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Good for you, I looked at your lovely home in the link. I hope you will continue to contribute to the forum.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

No we wouldn't go back, but then for us there is nothing to go back for as our family live here and our friends visit.
After six years here we feel more settled and at home than we ever did in the UK, we have also made a circle of friends who are also settled and with no intention of a return.

As retirees life here is good, but if we were of working age then that would be a different ball game!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you go back to the UK ?

Originally Posted by HelenLC
Over the last 2 years we have lost so many friends and customers in the grand exodus back to blighty to look for pastures new. Admittedly things have become tough here and we have all had to tighten our belts but having lived in Spain for the past 14 years , I could never contemplate returning to the UK. I love the weather,the people,the culture and being the mother of 2 teenage boys the relatively low crime rate compared to the UK.
So as an open question to you all , would you ever consider returning home and for what reason.
I would never consider living in England as this is my home. Our lives are here, our family know where we are and I prefer to live where I can get very good health care and a good way of life. I go back to England for two weeks every year to get my Indian visa and I cannot wait to leave. Everyone lives indoors, moans about everything and spends far too much time watching TV and the computer screen..which is what I am doing now so Bye!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Good for you, I looked at your lovely home in the link. I hope you will continue to contribute to the forum.
Ditto, Mitz, even though on returning you wont be an expat... you will be an honourary one Hope you stay on-line.

Jon
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Never say never but at it stands, absolutely no way, love it here
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:35 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We also, like Mitzyboy, came back just because we wanted to and it was time. Not everyone sees a life in Spain for the rest of their life, just for a number of years.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:44 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to make myself invisible at the moment. If it succeeds, my ashes will be scattered in the Mediterranean, if it doesn't, they might provide fish food off the end of Southend pier. I did think about the Thames, but it's too dirty. And the Clyde? Ditto.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:49 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm trying to make myself invisible at the moment. If it succeeds, my ashes will be scattered in the Mediterranean, if it doesn't, they might provide fish food off the end of Southend pier. I did think about the Thames, but it's too dirty. And the Clyde? Ditto.
Presumably, as you pay your taxes in the UK rather than Spain, then you actually live in the UK most of the year already?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:52 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

We will need to go back sooner or later, as we have ageing parents
and will become there carers as the rest of the family all work full time.
Hope its a long while yet...........
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:15 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Presumably, as you pay your taxes in the UK rather than Spain, then you actually live in the UK most of the year already?
In the US they call it the Fifth amendment, in the UK they say something like 'You're not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so . . .'

I'm claiming both - the right of silence.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:07 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely hope I we never have to go back to the UK!
Though there are negatives here, for me the positives far out weigh them.

The family values and traditions are maintained, food, wine, sun ... the list goes on.
Thinking back to my life in the UK, except for earning a lot more money, the stress, cloudy skies, grumpy people, cost of living ..... a big no thank you from me.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Ditto, Mitz, even though on returning you wont be an expat... you will be an honourary one Hope you stay on-line.

Jon

I'm not exactly sure what to do, to be honest. I've had a place in Spain since 2004, and been on here almost as long. I expected to have a place there for much longer, didn't expect the sale to happen so quickly.

Now in effect I'm an ex pat fraud .... but who knows, I might end up somewhere else.

One thing I have noticed. When you tell someone you have just returned from living in Spain their first reaction seems to be "oh, well it's terrible there isn't it". Definite surprise that we managed to sell a house, and wonderment that we escaped with our lives

No doubt stoked by our wonderful Media. Thats why I often tell them to sod off when they post on these forums asking for expat disaster stories!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.