Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would You Buy Now?

Would You Buy Now?

Old Feb 28th 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would You Buy Now?

Originally Posted by not2old
Bob if you wouldn't mind adding io that... thanks

From what you know & what you've seen - what do you call cheap in terms of 'value for money' 2 bedroom in which location? It has to be in a safe place, near shops and/or beach, even countryside.

Something specific that you personally would buy?

Doesn't matter what the price was in the past, or its future value
I mean in relation to what the prices were pre 2008, I would say without another major financial tremor for Spain they are around the bottom. I would rather not recommend a location or safe area as on that my knowledge is very limited. That is really down to personal opinions and research.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Spiv is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted brexit, business has never been better since that day. Related? I suspect so.
Ive also bought in spain, its a bargain right now too. I have quite a few friends who are also doing the same. Brexit doesnt worry me, the spanish would have to consider the older ex pats in spain before cutting off health care completely, its a large chunk of the pooulation that could easily up sticks and move. Regardless of politics, the world grinds on, people need homes, people earn money and spend money. You could be dead tommorow, go for it
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:10 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spiv
I voted brexit, business has never been better since that day. Related? I suspect so.
Ive also bought in spain, its a bargain right now too. I have quite a few friends who are also doing the same. Brexit doesnt worry me, the spanish would have to consider the older ex pats in spain before cutting off health care completely, its a large chunk of the pooulation that could easily up sticks and move. Regardless of politics, the world grinds on, people need homes, people earn money and spend money. You could be dead tommorow, go for it
How do you mean..easily up sticks and move?...
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spiv

I take your point, however, the Spanish authorities are very aware that many expats cannot return home as they can no longer afford UK property. They are also aware that a good number of the expat population are also dependent on local healthcare. These people cannot simply 'up-sticks' - and the authorities know it and they might well use the situation as a negotiating chip.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
I take your point, however, the Spanish authorities are very aware that many expats cannot return home as they can no longer afford UK property. They are also aware that a good number of the expat population are also dependent on local healthcare. These people cannot simply 'up-sticks' - and the authorities know it and they might well use the situation as a negotiating chip.
With at least 3 million eu migrants in the UK we also have a good bargaining chip , they dont want to be inundated with repatriation , it will never happen though , for expats I think there will be time set to either start paying or get out , maybe 3 or 5 years , time enough to sell up and relocate if you need to.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
With at least 3 million eu migrants in the UK we also have a good bargaining chip , they dont want to be inundated with repatriation , it will never happen though , for expats I think there will be time set to either start paying or get out , maybe 3 or 5 years , time enough to sell up and relocate if you need to.
I think the main problem is that many EU migrants in the UK are of young, working age and remain mobile to a degree in terms of where in Europe they choose to work and live. Contrast that with a predominantly 'retired' UK expat population in Spain - many of whom are very vulnerable to a downturn in the Spanish economy and currency fluctuations in terms of their ability to make ends meet. Two different arguments I suggest.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
I think the main problem is that many EU migrants in the UK are of young, working age and remain mobile to a degree in terms of where in Europe they choose to work and live. Contrast that with a predominantly 'retired' UK expat population in Spain - many of whom are very vulnerable to a downturn in the Spanish economy and currency fluctuations in terms of their ability to make ends meet. Two different arguments I suggest.
Agree but I dont think Spain will offer free medical care for non EU members without some BIG incentive , may they will ask us to swap Gibraltar for free health care
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

And they would be welcome to it!
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marcbernard
And they would be welcome to it!
Tut tut, naive comment.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Spiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tuhler
How do you mean..easily up sticks and move?...
To my mind someone who has moved from one country to another is the type who could up sticks and move again, without trying to offend many users here, (the impossible im sure) yes im sure there are many people who got in to the spanish market 10-15 years ago and will be in a major negative equity still, thats simply the problem when buying in a high prosperous market, i think if those people sold up in the uk without considering renting their uk property to fund a spanish property may have been a little foolish at that time, you would certainly be back in to a positive equity today. At this point you have to outweigh your options, lose equity if you had any, forfiet altogether, or stick it out and pay for healthcare. Knowing the older generation that would put healthcare at a priority today, they were smart enough (in general) to budget and save for these things and are unlikely to be penniless.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:04 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

You seem to be contradicting yourself....at first you say we could leave and up sticks very easily and then you say we could not afford to live in GB...There is an alternative..... go and get this countries nationalitiy
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

About that alternative... you need to know the language. I have no idea but for some reason I suspect that the majority of retired Brits in Spain don't speak enough Spanish. Or maybe I am wrong, there aren't any figures on it so it's hard to tell.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Horlics
About that alternative... you need to know the language. I have no idea but for some reason I suspect that the majority of retired Brits in Spain don't speak enough Spanish. Or maybe I am wrong, there aren't any figures on it so it's hard to tell.
In my experience retired Brit Expats are the laziest when it comes to learning Spanish , bizarre considering they have the most free time.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

And some of them complain about immigrants going to the UK and not speaking the language!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SteveDW
And some of them complain about immigrants going to the UK and not speaking the language!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.