Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you buy now?

Would you buy now?

Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you buy now?

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm confused about your post. Almost any bank will give you a mortgage on property as long as:

1. You have at least a 20% deposit
2. You also have the 10% fees in cash
3. You can prove your income in Spain, they will lend you no more than about 4 times the amount at the moment
4. They value the property at at least the price you are paying for it

Try ING Direct, or to be honest any of the banks or cajas

If you have no income in Spain then it is much more difficult to get a mortgage.
While the banks advertise this, people tell me (and they may be wrong) that in reality the banks will find a way to lend no more than 50% to the average customer. Probably they'll just value the property low and then lend 80% of that, regardless of what the agreed price is (the reverse of what they did during the boom years).
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...-17-overvalued
that will also influence Europe real estate.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy when you can rent ?I never understand this Anglo obsession with buying property.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your reasons for buying

If you are buying to make money on the mid to long term then it is still the wrong time to buy imo

If you are buying to have a long term base in Spain and you can afford it, then go for it

If you dont know that much about Spain and are not sure what area you want to be in, then don't buy. Rent until you have a better idea.

I agree with this, over the long term in the right price, in an area you know well. Also it is the cheaper properties that fall the least in percentage terms, expensive places lose the most, worth considering the running annual costs, if it is a low maintenance self contained freehold, lock up and leave, looks after itself with low council tax can be as low as £100 pa how can you lose. Price only matters when you come to sell. But if you are not sure rent, but then if you fly it now costs extra to take clothes with you.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Why buy when you can rent ?I never understand this Anglo obsession with buying property.
I totally agree with your statement. I will be renting when we come to Albir later next year. It will give us the option of being able to move around and get the best of all area's.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

renting vs buying
well it depends when you buy (at lows of the market or at highs)
factor in also all the related costs and taxes
I would say any rent higher than EUR 1.000, buying (again, as low as possible in the market...) might sound wiser (and making as sure as possible the prop is legal).
depends also on interest rates of course and their revision, the plan over 15-40years (whatever).
right now,a cautious approach I think is renting and waiting a bit more and exploring the region(s). THere's still (with exceptions) too much supply not enough demand. Renting "low" + saving gives more flexibility. (assets liquidity). There is a deflation pattern in Europe and might start in the US too.
there are pros and cons.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

alilever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sam54140
renting vs buying
well it depends when you buy (at lows of the market or at highs)
factor in also all the related costs and taxes
I would say any rent higher than EUR 1.000, buying (again, as low as possible in the market...) might sound wiser (and making as sure as possible the prop is legal).
depends also on interest rates of course and their revision, the plan over 15-40years (whatever).
right now,a cautious approach I think is renting and waiting a bit more and exploring the region(s). THere's still (with exceptions) too much supply not enough demand. Renting "low" + saving gives more flexibility. (assets liquidity). There is a deflation pattern in Europe and might start in the US too.
there are pros and cons.
Yes - think we might wait a bit longer. We know we can get what we want at a reasonable price - right down to particular buildings in the town. We can keep an eye on prices and wait until we're ready. In the meantime, we'll take the advice of those who favour renting. At the moment we can't spend very much time in Spain because of full time jobs. We have ideas for changing that, so will probably concentrate on getting that plan underway first - some career changing to be done!
It's been really helpful hearing everyone's opinions!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 4:14 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We bought in 2003 a traditional village house up a mountain on the southern side of the Sierra Nevada in Granada province. We lived in it full-time for five years and part-time for four. We sold it in 2012 and broke even after taking all the expenses into consideration. The selling price was just over 100k euros.

We were very, very lucky to sell, most houses up for sale in our village then are still for sale now. We were even luckier not to make a loss.

Would I buy in Spain again? No. But then I would not want to be resident in Spain again either. Couldn't stand all the bureaucracy. A couple of months renting in the winter might be on the cards from next year, but I would not buy or live permanently in Spain again.

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 7th 2013 at 4:31 am.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
. Couldn't stand all the bureaucracy.
For me that is a bizarre reason for not wanting to live in Spain. And I say that as an autonomo with a wife who is also autonomo. And who has had to set themselves up in 3 different autonomous communities in the past 6 years

Once you know the system then imo bureaucracy isnt bad at all. In fact we have found everybody to be very helpful. We even got a call last year from social security telling us that we had illegally claimed for some benefits that we weren't actually entitiled to (due to our Irish landlord not declaring our rental payments), but rather than fine us EUR3,000 they would give us the chance to fill in the form again and return the EUR300 that we claimed

For me, that is amazing as rightfully they could have claimed the 3k
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:14 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

For me that is a bizarre reason for not wanting to live in Spain. And I say that as an autonomo with a wife who is also autonomo. And who has had to set themselves up in 3 different autonomous communities in the past 6 years

Once you know the system then imo bureaucracy isnt bad at all. In fact we have found everybody to be very helpful. We even got a call last year from social security telling us that we had illegally claimed for some benefits that we weren't actually entitiled to (due to our Irish landlord not declaring our rental payments), but rather than fine us EUR3,000 they would give us the chance to fill in the form again and return the EUR300 that we claimed

For me, that is amazing as rightfully they could have claimed the 3k
The last line of your post says a lot about the bureaucracy and the
unfairness of it all in Spain, and peoples "lay down, roll over, attitude to fighting against Spanish red tape.

From your post stating that you could have been fined 3000 euros because of the dodgy dealings and dishonest of your LANDLORD.

Because of this you "illegally claimed" 300 euros back, but were give a chance to resubmit your claim.

You did nothing wrong, your landlord did, you could have been fined 3000k but the kind tax people decided to let you off.

I look at it differently to the way you do. I think it is a disgrace that an innocent party (yourselves) could have faced a fine because a guilty party (your landlord).

Instead of being grateful that it worked out how it should have, don´t you think it would be more constructive to challenge the rules, that punish innocent parties, when others trangres

I am glad that it worked out well for you, I really am, but for you to be aazed at the "fairness" shown by the officer and actually post about it, seems so tragic, as fairness should be the norm.

The guilty should pay, the innocent not, and when an innocent gets the right result, they should not be grateful and feel they have to pay homage to tax officials, they should infact be peed off to think that it might have gone againt them.

We are often told that English are the cold blooded ones, and that the Spanish are the hot firery ones, but in matters of this sort, the Spanish are less likely to seek justice and are thankful for any scrap of "kindness" shown by the state.

SAD SAD SAD.

Last edited by me me; Nov 7th 2013 at 8:17 am.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
The last line of your post says a lot about the bureaucracy and the
unfairness of it all in Spain, and peoples "lay down, roll over, attitude to fighting against Spanish red tape.

From your post stating that you could have been fined 3000 euros because of the dodgy dealings and dishonest of your LANDLORD.

Because of this you "illegally claimed" 300 euros back, but were give a chance to resubmit your claim.

You did nothing wrong, your landlord did, you could have been fined 3000k but the kind tax people decided to let you off.

I look at it differently to the way you do. I think it is a disgrace that an innocent party (yourselves) could have faced a fine because a guilty party (your landlord).

Instead of being grateful that it worked out how it should have, don´t you think it would be more constructive to challenge the rules, that punish innocent parties, when others trangres

I am glad that it worked out well for you, I really am, but for you to be aazed at the "fairness" shown by the officer and actually post about it, seems so tragic, as fairness should be the norm.

The guilty should pay, the innocent not, and when an innocent gets the right result, they should not be grateful and feel they have to pay homage to tax officials, they should infact be peed off to think that it might have gone againt them.

We are often told that English are the cold blooded ones, and that the Spanish are the hot firery ones, but in matters of this sort, the Spanish are less likely to seek justice and are thankful for any scrap of "kindness" shown by the state.

SAD SAD SAD.
Well yes, but in the instructions to the tax return it clearly states that we needed proof that the tenancy had been logged with the junta de Andalucia. We didnt have that

Yes I really do hope that the landlord got caught for years of tax dodging but I severely doubt it

The landlord was actually angry that we had told the tax authorities about the tenancy (of course) as he expected us to be purely earning black money and not submitting tax returns like most Brits below retirement age in Spain do. I quickly turned that back on him
Old Nov 7th 2013, 11:44 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

......... he expected us to be purely earning black money and not submitting tax returns like most Brits below retirement age in Spain do.
I presume you have sound evidence to back that claim ?

..........or do you not think that maybe Spanish people should be included in that remark also ?
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I presume you have sound evidence to back that claim ?
It was his claim, not mine
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:35 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

It was his claim, not mine
It could be read either way I suppose, though I doubt if your Landlord would have had much firsthand experience up there, let alone solid evidence, on which to base such a broad and possibly unfounded allegation.

Sounds like a real nice bloke anyway, you two should get along just great.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Our estate agent said the same thing-that buyers have to be cash buyers unless you buy a bank property, then they will lend you the money.

We got it from the bank direct, two banks actually but seeing as we are with Sabadell I can positively report that is what we were told and is the current standing.

Deposit, fees, income weren't even questioned and if they were wouldn't be an issue at all.
Like I said I can only think it is because we are new customers with no record with them otherwise they wouldn't be lending to anyone, at all.

Again other banks may well be different, our bank may well lend after they see what our numbers actually are but as a first impression they want you to buy one of their properties. When we tell them we are switching banks and why I'm sure the tune will change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.