Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would you buy now?

Would you buy now?

Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you buy now?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Very hard to believe predictions from the usual doomsters. They've got nearly all of their predictions wrong eg "Spain to leave the Euro", "Santander to collapse", "March - get your money out of Spain (the stock exchange is actually UP 20% this year)" etc etc...
[offTopic]In defence of Warner's article on getting your money out of Spain, it was more an observation on the IMF's predictions rather than his own. He correctly concluded that the IMF was effectively declaring Spain to be insolvent, and drew attention to that fact in a somewhat alarmist way. If you think the prediction was wrong then point your finger at the IMF. If you think he was being unnecessarily alarmist then point your finger at him. Also pointing out that the euro will collapse within "x" days if nothing is done is not the same as predicting the euro will definitely collapse.

It's a bit like those who warned of a banking collapse before 2008 - they were proved right because there was a banking collapse. To turn round now and say "well look the banks are still here so they didn't collapse, and those who predicted they would were wrong" is as disingeneous as saying "well look the euro is still here so those who said it would collapse were wrong". The euro as a currency is still here, but in order to maintain it they have had to change or ignore the rules that initially defined it. The euro that went into circulation in 2002 no longer exists, it effectively collapsed years ago when they decided to ignore the rules regarding deficit limits. Since then it has been reinvented several times in an ongoing attempt to keep it in circulation while at the same time preventing entire economies from collapsing. And they still haven't finished.[/offTopic]
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:46 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB80
..... The banks we have spoken with will only lend if you buy one of their properties no matter how much deposit or small the mortgage would be and frankly their properties are rubbish, unless they are holding the good ones back..
Friends of ours got what they thought was a great rent with option to buy from the CAM bank.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:54 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
[offTopic]In defence of Warner's article on getting your money out of Spain, it was more an observation on the IMF's predictions rather than his own. He correctly concluded that the IMF was effectively declaring Spain to be insolvent, and drew attention to that fact in a somewhat alarmist way. If you think the prediction was wrong then point your finger at the IMF. If you think he was being unnecessarily alarmist then point your finger at him. Also pointing out that the euro will collapse within "x" days if nothing is done is not the same as predicting the euro will definitely collapse.

It's a bit like those who warned of a banking collapse before 2008 - they were proved right because there was a banking collapse. To turn round now and say "well look the banks are still here so they didn't collapse, and those who predicted they would were wrong" is as disingeneous as saying "well look the euro is still here so those who said it would collapse were wrong". The euro as a currency is still here, but in order to maintain it they have had to change or ignore the rules that initially defined it. The euro that went into circulation in 2002 no longer exists, it effectively collapsed years ago when they decided to ignore the rules regarding deficit limits. Since then it has been reinvented several times in an ongoing attempt to keep it in circulation while at the same time preventing entire economies from collapsing. And they still haven't finished.[/offTopic]
The likes of Jeremy Warner and Nigel Farage tried to provoke a bank run in March (same as some posters on these boards did the previous summer with Santander) and they've been exposed as giving very bad advice.
In fact anyone who pulled out of Spanish shares this year, has probably lost money thanks to that bad advice and they should sue them!

Just to clarify regarding the thread title - I'm quite happy renting as rent levels are low now.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
Friends of ours got what they thought was a great rent with option to buy from the CAM bank.
I guess it all depends on what someone wants. No doubt it is best to shop around banks and see just what they can offer you, if we were seriously wanting to buy then that's what we'd do but I have no inclination to believe any Spanish bank will give you a mortgage for any property you want.

I don't know, it's not something high on our agenda just yet anyway.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera

Spot on! Of course the banks never collapsed, simply because the EU pumped billions into them. We had the situation of countries like Portugal and Greece borrowing money at say 8% (can't remember the figures) to lend to Spain ay say 4%. Madness! Any business can be kept afloat if you pump enough of someone else's money into it.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:32 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have an issue buying now but it doesn't mean we will. If I could say with any certainty that we will still be here in 10 or 15 years then it wouldn't be a question, we'd buy.

Not having the entire amount of savings for cash upfront is something that needs to be considered too. The banks we have spoken with will only lend if you buy one of their properties no matter how much deposit or small the mortgage would be and frankly their properties are rubbish, unless they are holding the good ones back.
It's so hard to spend money here sometimes, they don't want it.
I think the issue here is the fact that many residential properties were built very cheaply and in a hurry.
I have been offered very high spec properties from the bank. Good location and build quality. It´s just that there doesn´t seem to be many "high spec" properties full stop.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Spot on! Of course the banks never collapsed, simply because the EU pumped billions into them. We had the situation of countries like Portugal and Greece borrowing money at say 8% (can't remember the figures) to lend to Spain ay say 4%. Madness! Any business can be kept afloat if you pump enough of someone else's money into it.
Not just the EU, the UK taxpayer has paid a few billion too to prop up the likes of Northern Rock, RBS etc

A comparison of bank bailouts here (the UK compares well apparently to some like Ireland)

http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress...he-uk-compare/

The NAO puts the cost of Britain’s bank bailout at £141bn, as at March 2013. That’s £115bn in cash and £26bn contingent liabilities. At current prices, the taxpayer is sitting on a potential loss of £34bn from the reduced value of RBS and Lloyds.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on what someone wants. .
As you do not intend to purchase, mortgage arrangements will be of little interest to you.

For the benefit of a.n.others, Barclays.es (and other banks?) are happy to lend subject to valuation on any property, to customers who meet their lending criteria. When I last checked Barclays were advertising attractive re-mortgage deals.

Last edited by missile; Nov 5th 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IamStu
I think the issue here is the fact that many residential properties were built very cheaply and in a hurry.
I have been offered very high spec properties from the bank. Good location and build quality. It´s just that there doesn´t seem to be many "high spec" properties full stop.
Well, this is probably true and we are yet to be offered anything from the bank, not through lack of asking but they so far have said look at the public website.
It's all well and good but it's all flats, semi-detatched and of questionable quality.

Alternatively we could find half a dozen properties right now that would interest us and be affordable and they wont even listen if they don't have their paws in it already.
But as mentioned that's only the couple of banks we've spoken to and our current banks position. Maybe as new customers that has something to do with it as well.

As you do not intend to purchase, mortgage arrangements will be of little interest to you.
That's not what I said though, I'm in no hurry true but the for the right place I'd consider it.
It's all about mortgage arrangements in case you missed it.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have an issue buying now but it doesn't mean we will. If I could say with any certainty that we will still be here in 10 or 15 years then it wouldn't be a question, we'd buy.

Not having the entire amount of savings for cash upfront is something that needs to be considered too. The banks we have spoken with will only lend if you buy one of their properties no matter how much deposit or small the mortgage would be and frankly their properties are rubbish, unless they are holding the good ones back.
Solvia usually give better conditions if you take out a 50% mortgage than if you take out a 20% mortgage. They actually want to lend against their properties rather than take cash, but they don't want to lend too much - just enough to charge interest, while ensuring the property won't drift into negative equity. What they should have done in the first place basically.

Unfortunately the laws of nature dictate that the good stuff tends to get bought, while the crap just builds up on the banks' books. They might well be holding the good ones back because they don't want to realise losses on their books, but on the other hand laws have been passed preventing repossessions of properties where there is no household income. So you may find that banks are also sitting on a lot of poor properties that they are unable to repossess as well.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, this is probably true and we are yet to be offered anything from the bank, not through lack of asking but they so far have said look at the public website.
It's all well and good but it's all flats, semi-detatched and of questionable quality.

Alternatively we could find half a dozen properties right now that would interest us and be affordable and they wont even listen if they don't have their paws in it already.
But as mentioned that's only the couple of banks we've spoken to and our current banks position. Maybe as new customers that has something to do with it as well.

That's not what I said though, I'm in no hurry true but the for the right place I'd consider it.
If you want to take advantage of the market now and are in it for the long haul, it might be worth considering land, in the expectation that in the future you should be able to raise finance to build on it. Land prices have completely collapsed (banks won't finance land purchases) and with land you can just sit on it and wait without having to worry about maintaining a house you might not be able to use that much until you retire (if that is your situation).
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:51 am
Started off with nothing

I was answering what IMHO is your misinformation - I do not know anyone apart from you who has reported a bank will only lend on a property which they own.

For the benefit of the OP and a.n.others.
In my experience it is no harder to negotiate a mortgage in Spain than in the UK. I know many who have mortgages from several different Spanish banks.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused about your post. Almost any bank will give you a mortgage on property as long as:

1. You have at least a 20% deposit
2. You also have the 10% fees in cash
3. You can prove your income in Spain, they will lend you no more than about 4 times the amount at the moment
4. They value the property at at least the price you are paying for it

Try ING Direct, or to be honest any of the banks or cajas

If you have no income in Spain then it is much more difficult to get a mortgage.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Our estate agent said the same thing-that buyers have to be cash buyers unless you buy a bank property, then they will lend you the money.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:20 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Our estate agent said the same thing-that buyers have to be cash buyers unless you buy a bank property, then they will lend you the money.
Which estate agent?

If you declare where you are interested in purchasing, I feel sure forum members will be able to recommend a better EA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.