Reload this Page >

Would an UK TV work in Spain?

Would an UK TV work in Spain?

Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

mario87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Would an UK TV work in Spain?

Hi everyone.

First of all, I'm not from the UK, I'm a spaniard who is moving to Ireland in a couple of weeks for, at least, 6 months. I came across this forum while I was looking for the answer of this question.

The thing is that due to the high price of moving my TV to Ireland and bringing it back in the future (and also the fact that it's almost 4 years old though) I've been thinking of buying one once I'm there, probably importing it from the UK due to the lower prices.

Do you think that I'll have any problem to get TDT HD channels in Spain with a TV that is "Freeview enabled"?

Thank you in advance!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would an UK TV work in Spain?

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mario87
Hi everyone.

First of all, I'm not from the UK, I'm a spaniard who is moving to Ireland in a couple of weeks for, at least, 6 months. I came across this forum while I was looking for the answer of this question.

The thing is that due to the high price of moving my TV to Ireland and bringing it back in the future (and also the fact that it's almost 4 years old though) I've been thinking of buying one once I'm there, probably importing it from the UK due to the lower prices.

Do you think that I'll have any problem to get TDT HD channels in Spain with a TV that is "Freeview enabled"?

Thank you in advance!
Hi Mario87

I did the same a few years ago. My TV with digital tuner I bought in the UK works perfectly in Spain and picks up the Spanish digital channels

Best of luck!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Same here - we bought ours from Tesco supermarket last year, it was dead cheap (compared to Spanish ones) and it works perfectly out here
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

That's great!

Thank you both
Now the only thing that I'll have to take care about is the compatibility with the Irish digital system. So hard to purchase a TV that works in 3 different countries
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

That's great!

Thank you both
Now the only thing that I'll have to take care about is the compatibility with the Irish digital system. So hard to purchase a TV that works in 3 different countries
Why not just buy one in Ireland - can't imagine it not working here!

They even have Tesco there http://www.tesco.ie/
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Well, I'd do it if there was a good deal, but according to my research the prices in the UK are lower. Specially on websites such as amazon.co.uk or richersounds.com. Anyway I'll consider all the options
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:54 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

HOWEVER:

even today some TVs and digital terrestrial set top boxes will not work 100% in Spain!

Just today I saw a UK "freeview" HD Ready TV one that did not scan all of the available SPanish TV frequencies. It also only allowed you to select "english, Welsh and gaelic" as second language options, which means that they could not select the "english audio" tracks that are actually identifed as "Dos, MUL, VO, QAA" by the Spanish broadcasters.

So, if you want to bring a TV from Ireland and UK, make sure it has the "european" settings avialble, and you are not just restricted to UK Freeview options only.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

ISTR reading a specn for a tv where they said it wasnt suitable for use in Ireland - was that Argos ??
Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Would it not be possible to go over the border into Northern Ireland (UK) and buy one there? My family are originally from Ireland and I remember my uncle, who lived just south of the border, going up to Enniskillen in the north to shop
Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Would an UK TV work in Spain?

Yes that's perfectly possible (though I'm moving to Limerick). But it's pretty much the same than buying one in a website.
If I end up getting one from the UK I'll ask before about using it in Ireland.
So far seems like some of them are OK for that and some others not.

Missing some channels in Spain would be a problem also (unless it's just telecinco) that's strange, I'll have to be careful.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's perfectly possible (though I'm moving to Limerick). But it's pretty much the same than buying one in a website.
If I end up getting one from the UK I'll ask before about using it in Ireland.
So far seems like some of them are OK for that and some others not.

Missing some channels in Spain would be a problem also (unless it's just telecinco) that's strange, I'll have to be careful.
your not the only one, I bought a TDT in the uk and intend taking it out with me
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
your not the only one, I bought a TDT in the uk and intend taking it out with me
i think most do work, cos you can set the country in the menu.
Ask the geezer in the shop to check the menu for you.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Ask the geezer in the shop to check the menu for you.
geezer ..
I'm old enough to know the word ..

nah, bought it at Argos on vy sp offer, embarrassingly forgot all I have been taught, and told other people, didnt check the connections to find the TV has no SCART input, then the OH told me it was at least 10 when we met 20 years ago !!
and its the best little tele in the house

its going to Spain and I will set it up when I get there.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:48 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The one i say the other day you could change the country to "Spain" but it still missed the Ant3 channels on chanenl 69, and still had the UK language options only!

OK, the misisng freqency will not be an issue in a few years time, when the channels move to the stronger "lower" frequencies, and the higher freqencies are sold off (a bit of money for the Gvmt!), but the changing lanague option would still be an issue.

Also, make sure you get a HD TV, and not a HD Ready TV.
A HD TV should get the Spanish HD TDT channels.
The HD ready TV will need a seperate HD TDT set top box for the HD TDT channels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.