Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would a Spanish employer pay wages into a foreign (Euro) bank account

Would a Spanish employer pay wages into a foreign (Euro) bank account

Old May 21st 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Would a Spanish employer pay wages into a foreign (Euro) bank account

Hello,

I have a Dutch bank account that I will need to keep for a few months in case I should leave the NL. If I moved to Spain, would a local employer pay into a foreign Euro account or would they give trouble?

And can anybody point me to some links about opening bank accounts and charges?

Sorry for the newbie question.
Old May 21st 2014, 3:54 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would a Spanish employer pay wages into a foreign (Euro) bank account

I don't think there is any law against it, but most employers would probably be reluctant, since it could suggest some sort of dubious behaviour to the tax authorities, and most won't want to deal with that.

besides, opening a Spanish bank account is really simple and easy - most Spanish banks are pretty sophisticated with all kinds of convenient features, visa cards, and full-featured online banking. For example, LaCaixa's online banking is in 7 languages and you can conduct almost any imaginable banking function through it.

If you're a resident, the fees are very reasonable, and if you put your salary through it and pay your bills with it, there are no charges at all.
Old May 21st 2014, 4:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would a Spanish employer pay wages into a foreign (Euro) bank account

Originally Posted by gioppino
Hello,

I have a Dutch bank account that I will need to keep for a few months in case I should leave the NL. If I moved to Spain, would a local employer pay into a foreign Euro account or would they give trouble?

And can anybody point me to some links about opening bank accounts and charges?

Sorry for the newbie question.
It would very much depend on how familiar they are with paying into other banks. A friend of mine is at present employed in the UK by the Spanish education system and her wages are paid into an English bank account that she opened when she arrived there. Another friend working in the education system is paid locally and the school even dictated which bank she had to use as this was the system that they were comfortable with.

If the company refuse to send your wages to the Dutch bank you could open a Spanish account and have a set amount transferred monthly (or whatever is best for you) to the Dutch account.

I hope that you find a solution that is suitable for you.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies.