Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would like to meet new people.

Would like to meet new people.

Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice
Default Would like to meet new people.

Well I have finally made the move from Tenerife to Costa del Sol, been spoilt in Tenerife, coz I'm freeeeezing, in bed with hot water bottle every night at 8pm serves me right for living out in 'El Campo' in La Cimada, near Ronda. Which brings me to my thread title. I moved here alone 3 weeks ago, (well with my dog) and although my Spanish should come on leaps and bounds living out here, I am already missing the English language, I would love to meet some new friends, to be able meet up now and again in Ronda for coffee and a chat. If you fancy it, just say the word, look forward to meeting you
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:23 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you be my friend :-)

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will make some new friends soon. Ronda is lovely, but a long way for me to travel.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be your friend, I'm afraid, but intrigued, that's quite a difference betwen Tenerife and Arriate way, what made you chose that area? You must be "Billy no mates" out there in the sticks!! As you say, your Spanish will soon improve. There are Brit owners here, just outside of Ronda on the Sevilla road, they seem to know most of the local Brits, they seem to eat there.
http://www.hotelmolinodelpuente.com/
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by agoreira
Can't be your friend, I'm afraid, but intrigued, that's quite a difference betwen Tenerife and Arriate way, what made you chose that area? You must be "Billy no mates" out there in the sticks!! As you say, your Spanish will soon improve. There are Brit owners here, just outside of Ronda on the Sevilla road, they seem to know most of the local Brits, they seem to eat there.
http://www.hotelmolinodelpuente.com/
I am having a midlife crisis I think LOL! it's just that Tenerife started to feel small and not that much to do as a middle aged woman on her own so I decided to have a complete change. I lived in a modern apartment immediately in front of the sea and now I would make a farmer a good wife, gathering my logs for the wood burner. I came to the Costa for a week, had a look round loved Ronda and rented this house on the spur of moment, my contract ends end of May. Might try a different area then but haven't a clue where, not really into the Brits abroad scene, would ideally like a good mixture of nationalities. I suppose a good way to find out about different areas is start a thread on it, think I will do that. Anyway once the sun starts shining, I might love it here, 3 weeks is far too early to judge, I am still in shock yet. So if anyone sees a woman looking alone and bewildered walking down Sevilla Road, invite me to a party
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Well I have finally made the move from Tenerife to Costa del Sol, been spoilt in Tenerife, coz I'm freeeeezing, in bed with hot water bottle every night at 8pm serves me right for living out in 'El Campo' in La Cimada, near Ronda. Which brings me to my thread title. I moved here alone 3 weeks ago, (well with my dog) and although my Spanish should come on leaps and bounds living out here, I am already missing the English language, I would love to meet some new friends, to be able meet up now and again in Ronda for coffee and a chat. If you fancy it, just say the word, look forward to meeting you
Welcome to the real world.
Must be a bit tough after leaving Fantasy island.
Can't complain myself because Tenerife and neighbouring islands made all my wildest fantasies come true for ten years or so, and I don't just refer to the goings on in touristy areas.
However it was time for a change and I've been over here now for quite a few years. Moved in at the end of January back in 04 and my first purchase was an electric blanket, absolutely essential equipment on most of the peninsula.
It seems much closer to the UK climate than that of the Canaries, partly because of the construction and lack of insulation of the houses and partly because it can occasionally get pretty darned cold,at least compared to Tenerife.
I am out in the sticks a little bit here, but not too far from civilisation and not too high up fortunately.
I wonder where you lived in TF and how long you were based there ?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I am having a midlife crisis I think LOL!

I came to the Costa for a week, had a look round loved Ronda and rented this house on the spur of moment,

Anyway once the sun starts shining, I might love it here, 3 weeks is far too early to judge, I am still in shock yet. :
Well I'm not surprised you are finding it cold....we can see the snow on the tops of the Ronda mountains from here in Alora!

It has actually been a mild winter this time, though it's felt a long one as the rains started early... but it's not been as cold as the last two winters.
Our first winter here out in the campo came as a shock to us too, we had spent a few winter breaks down on the Costa del Sol and it had always been quite warm.
Our first winter here I thought I would freeze to death I was that cold. Now I've learned to dress in more layers, when it does go very cold I take a hot water bottle to bed, and I have been known on occasions to wear bed socks too.
Summer in the campo is quite a lot hotter than down on the cost, but you soon get used to that and learn how to keep cool.

Good luck, I'm sure you will soon get to know people and you can always come here to have a good natter.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by megmet
Well I'm not surprised you are finding it cold....we can see the snow on the tops of the Ronda mountains from here in Alora!

It has actually been a mild winter this time, though it's felt a long one as the rains started early... but it's not been as cold as the last two winters.
Our first winter here out in the campo came as a shock to us too, we had spent a few winter breaks down on the Costa del Sol and it had always been quite warm.
Our first winter here I thought I would freeze to death I was that cold. Now I've learned to dress in more layers, when it does go very cold I take a hot water bottle to bed, and I have been known on occasions to wear bed socks too.
Summer in the campo is quite a lot hotter than down on the cost, but you soon get used to that and learn how to keep cool.

Good luck, I'm sure you will soon get to know people and you can always come here to have a good natter.
Yes forums are a great way to connect with other people and find out information, you will see my posts asking for info on this and that very soon but I really don't want to be best friends with my laptop I want to get out and about meeting people who can maybe show me interesting places and things they have discovered whilst living here. I have a car and am willing to do the driving.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already found this site, you can do some homework there whilst you are tucked up in your blankets! Some decent local walks shown there.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Hi

We too are along way from you, but I think its a good idea to ask people about meeting up , I sometimes feel the same about wanting to meet people for a chat and our house is on the coast, so can probably happen anywere, also you can't always get on with just anyone Lol !

Midlife crisis, thinks a few of us have had them

Keep warm and enjoy your new life !
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

If you haven't already found this site, you can do some homework there whilst you are tucked up in your blankets! Some decent local walks shown there.
Thanks for that, I was looking for the thanks button as its a much quicker way of acknowledging someones help rather than writing a reply but can't seem to find one. This forum is new to me so am I just not seeing it or is there not one?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I was looking for the thanks button as its a much quicker way of acknowledging someones help rather than writing a reply but can't seem to find one. This forum is new to me so am I just not seeing it or is there not one?
You can always click on the karma button. If you check on 'My profile ' you can see what's been sent you.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Karma coming your way for the link to that site, some excellent stuff on there!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
You can always click on the karma button. If you check on 'My profile ' you can see what's been sent you.
Thanks for that Bil Personally I must say I prefer the thanks button. I think it's a nice way of showing publicly all the forum members who appreciated the posters help and advise or funny quip and only takes a second to press. Anyway that's just my opinion, better shut up now or my good Karma might be taken away.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Bil Personally I must say I prefer the thanks button. I think it's a nice way of showing publicly all the forum members who appreciated the posters help and advise or funny quip and only takes a second to press. Anyway that's just my opinion, better shut up now or my good Karma might be taken away.

Diff'rent strokes for different boards, I guess...