Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would graffiti drive you away?

Would graffiti drive you away?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default Re: Would graffiti drive you away?

Originally Posted by chulo
Another off putting piece of Spanish culture is the roadside billboards.
What do you mean, we have those in the UK as well

To answer the original question, though, dont think it would drive me away if I was already in an area, but it would make me think twice if I was looking in an area where it was prevalant.

Can't you get some kind of special paint, where spray paint doesnt stick ?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:51 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to my Swedish neighbour today, the majority of his expensive furniture was loaded last night to be returned to Sweden. For some reason, they’re very shy people, he got rid of some on the graffiti in the middle of the night, the green and the black stuff, but the horrible red, luminous paint is still there.

He’s thrown in the towel after 30 years in Spain, because of the graffiti. It took him four years to build his wall, I watched him, it was an absolute work of art. He’s bought a trailer for his remaining, mostly personal items, but needs a tow a tow bar fitted on to his Volvo.

I tried to tell him that the same graffiti has appeared all over the place, just the work of some silly arseholes who’ve recently moved into neighbourhood, but he was taking it personally.

The funny thing is, he’s survived a couple of nasty burglaries, his wife’s been mugged more than once, but he couldn’t cope with the graffiti.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:02 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

That really is unfortunate that he's left because of a graffiti roblem after all those years here. I can't really comment too much (as you may have noticed from my first reply to this thread) as there is very little of it here. When I buy a car I don't care what colour it is as I can't see the colour when I'm driving it, If there is graffiti on the outside of my building I can't see it when I'm sat at home. Maybe not the best example I know but many, many things bothered me when I moved here and very little bothers me now. I've come to the understanding that there is very little I can do but there is a lot we can do. If it really is such a problem then look into things legaly. This isn't like the UK where the police don't get involved because something is a "civil matter". I would imagine if enough residents took a little time and grouped together then something could be done.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by savateur

?

Not a great example buy the ones you see at 39 seconds, they`ve cut out the main area on that road in the vid, guess they didn`t like them much either.

I here there illegal as well, like the UK it is illegal to place ads within a certain distance of major roads.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They are illegal and Marbella council are now prosecuting the owners and advertisers, so hope it extends down the coast.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=savateur;8058183]What do you mean, we have those in the UK as well
<snip> QUOTE]

Can't load youtube or other vids so don't know if I'm duplicating a comment, but I've never seen any roadside ads anything LIKE the size, location, frequency, number, etc., etc., as there are in and around so many places I've been in Spain.

Originally Posted by Madridboy
That really is unfortunate that he's left because of a graffiti roblem after all those years here. I can't really comment too much (as you may have noticed from my first reply to this thread) as there is very little of it here. When I buy a car I don't care what colour it is as I can't see the colour when I'm driving it, If there is graffiti on the outside of my building I can't see it when I'm sat at home. Maybe not the best example I know but many, many things bothered me when I moved here and very little bothers me now. I've come to the understanding that there is very little I can do but there is a lot we can do. If it really is such a problem then look into things legaly. This isn't like the UK where the police don't get involved because something is a "civil matter". I would imagine if enough residents took a little time and grouped together then something could be done.
Firstly, yes it's sad but everyone's point of no return is different; I can tolerate a lot of things but radios on the beach audible? I have and will get up and leave. Family thinks my reaction is OTT, I might think the Swedish gentleman ought to just live with it but we're all different. Sad nonetheless in this case, given that it's life rather than an afternoon on the beach.

Secondly, wise words re banding together. Only sticking point will be if not enough people are prepared to put their necks above the parapet.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fionamw;8065284]
Originally Posted by savateur
<snip> QUOTE]

Can't load youtube or other vids so don't know if I'm duplicating a comment, but I've never seen any roadside ads anything LIKE the size, location, frequency, number, etc., etc., as there are in and around so many places I've been in Spain.
I'm sure Spain pales in comparison to the number of billboards in the U.S. There's like 1 or 2 every few miles on our highways
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chrisfromusa;8065320]
Originally Posted by fionamw

I'm sure Spain pales in comparison to the number of billboards in the U.S. There's like 1 or 2 every few miles on our highways
Never been to the USA, but the bits of Spain I've seen (clearly not all of it nor all of the bits I know... but as a generalisation) frequently have several, maybe even dozens, every kilometre or at least several every few kilometres......... of course now quite a lot are empty cos not so many companies want to spend on advertising
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fionamw;8065376]
Originally Posted by chrisfromusa

Never been to the USA, but the bits of Spain I've seen (clearly not all of it nor all of the bits I know... but as a generalisation) frequently have several, maybe even dozens, every kilometre or at least several every few kilometres......... of course now quite a lot are empty cos not so many companies want to spend on advertising
Having just spent some time in London, I had forgotten just how many advertisements you get bombarded with on a daily basis there - on the tube, on the street, on buses, on taxis etc... stresses me out and makes Spain the tourist parts on Spain look relatively uncommercial.

Advertising follows the toutists and newbe's to an area. In more settled areas you usually find less advertising.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chrisfromusa;8065320]

Well drive from Malaga airport to Marbella and give me a dollar for every board you see, bring plenty of money. lol
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

[QUOTE=cricketman;8065503]

Having just spent some time in London, I had forgotten just how many advertisements you get bombarded with on a daily basis there - on the tube, on the street, on buses, on taxis etc... stresses me out and makes Spain the tourist parts on Spain look relatively uncommercial.

Advertising follows the toutists and newbe's to an area. In more settled areas you usually find less advertising.
Lol, you can do the same, but give me €´s.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I've been saying things I never said

however, I'll take a share of the funds from the Malaga/Marbella stretch, thank you very much...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I took a laptop to the airport this morning and took a slow drive back.
Between Malaga airport and the first turn off to Benalmadena I counted 73 advertising boards, bearing in mind it is illegal to put them where they can be seen from the motorway, this is not counting the road signs, petrol station signs and the writing on the gantries.
WA:curse:J.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
I took a laptop to the airport this morning and took a slow drive back.
Between Malaga airport and the first turn off to Benalmadena I counted 73 advertising boards, bearing in mind it is illegal to put them where they can be seen from the motorway, this is not counting the road signs, petrol station signs and the writing on the gantries.
WA:curse:J.

New mode of transport, eh?!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

New mode of transport, eh?!
Bit dodgy on the bend off the 340 to the airport though. ;-))