Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would graffiti drive you away?

Would graffiti drive you away?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:52 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would graffiti drive you away?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Two thoughts, one trite: i knew there was at least one good reason to live in the campo. 2:- a couple i know had second thoughts about sending their son to a school because the husband didn't like that the area was full of graffiti. The wife pointed out that of the three schools in the area, the french graffiti was near the french school, the english near the english & the spanish near the spanish. make of that what you will
Perfectly logical, the only schools around here are Spanish, some of them with more foreign pupils in their classes than Spanish.

What’s it got to do with graffiti?

It’s a local problem caused by . . .I haven’t got a clue. Is it local? I don’t think so, even Mitzi’s quiet backwater suffers from it. But would you move because of it?

I don’t know the answer, I’m not a softie, but nor is my Swedish neighbour. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back? Sticks and stones are worse than graffiti, but similar.

I’m going to buy some more paint tomorrow.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:10 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Perfectly logical, the only schools around here are Spanish, some of them with more foreign pupils in their classes than Spanish.

What’s it got to do with graffiti?

It’s a local problem caused by . . .I haven’t got a clue. Is it local? I don’t think so, even Mitzi’s quiet backwater suffers from it. But would you move because of it?

I don’t know the answer, I’m not a softie, but nor is my Swedish neighbour. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back? Sticks and stones are worse than graffiti, but similar.

I’m going to buy some more paint tomorrow.

The graffiti round our way certainly doesnt relate to schools, its simply in the strangest of places, not just in the local town and villages, but its along the sides of roads, on disused buildings in the middle of nowhere, under flyover bridges even on the barricades where they're building the new motorway and I would have said whoever is doing it has access to a car. Some of it is actually quite artistic and isnt rude or offensive, so not the work of young kids I wouldnt think!!!

But its a dreadful mess all the same!

Jo xx
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Torrevieja was once quite nice. It is so sad,
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:20 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

All that said, I remember when I was a kid (early 70s), we used to go to a very different Spain for our holidays (Torremolinos was barely a village!!) and I can remember driving along the dust track from Málaga airport and seeing buildings and other things with a lot of graffiti, mainly political stuff and there was a lot of it!

Jo xxxx
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
All that said, I remember when I was a kid (early 70s), we used to go to a very different Spain for our holidays (Torremolinos was barely a village!!) and I can remember driving along the dust track from Málaga airport and seeing buildings and other things with a lot of graffiti, mainly political stuff and there was a lot of it!

Jo xxxx
Aye.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:27 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warren d
There's a guy called Colin Gradon, comes to Ibiza for his holiday every year and spends part of his holiday painting over graffiti with white paint. Vandals sometimes paint messages to him on top of his white paint, like "no white walls" or the message below that I have seen on several walls.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/...237ed3a567.jpg
That's quite amazing - good for Colin!!!

I think the problem with graffiti is, as steviedeluxe said above, is that it makes an area look run-down and then it has 'knock-on' effect re other vandalism, drugs and then more serious crime. From the NYPD website:

What is "Zero-Tolerance" policing?
"Zero-Tolerance" was instituted over ten years ago as a full-scale strategic attack on all crime and disorder in the City. In particular it focuses on the enforcement of "quality of life offenses" such as drinking alcoholic beverages in the street, urinating in public, panhandling, loud radios, graffiti and disorderly conduct. By quickly addressing and correcting these minor problems, the Department sends the message that more serious crime will not be tolerated.

Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

We went on holiday to Yugoslavia (in the part that is now Croatia) in the early 70's. This was while the dictator Tito was still president. We saw quite a lot of graffiti but every single bit of it was in support of Tito. It made me think it was probably state sponsored graffiti.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any better in the UK?

I was in Blackpool last month and it looked worse than Torre.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

We had a problem start up with graffiti and other anti social behaviour (kicking a football at our front door, putting a lighted firework in our postbox, and suchlike) after a new family with 3 sons (Spanish) moved in further up the street. After telling the kids off to no effect, I went and knocked on the parents' door and complained - in Spanish, of course. I had to do it twice but after that they got the message (they actually called the kids on their mobiles and told them to come home immediately, and they got a clout round the ear in front of us) and since then we haven't had any further trouble from them. We knew who had written the graffiti because the kids are actually stupid enough to write their own names!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:01 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Even in Rural France we get it, Things like"Pas d'ours" which translates to No Bears and "Libre de Chasse" Free Hunting" which is because there have been 24 Bears released in to the wild around here. Two of them have found themselves on the wrong end of a rifle already.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:03 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
We had a problem start up with graffiti and other anti social behaviour (kicking a football at our front door, putting a lighted firework in our postbox, and suchlike) after a new family with 3 sons (Spanish) moved in further up the street. After telling the kids off to no effect, I went and knocked on the parents' door and complained - in Spanish, of course. I had to do it twice but after that they got the message (they actually called the kids on their mobiles and told them to come home immediately, and they got a clout round the ear in front of us) and since then we haven't had any further trouble from them. We knew who had written the graffiti because the kids are actually stupid enough to write their own names!
Ha-ha - classic

I told off some kids in the village for throwing down sweet wrappers - they looked at me as though I was crazy - so I picked it up and put it in the bin much to their amusement. Apparently the logic is that they're providing work for the street sweepers

Last edited by lunacrout; Oct 30th 2009 at 11:05 am.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lynn R
(they actually called the kids on their mobiles and told them to come home immediately, and they got a clout round the ear in front of us) and since then we haven't had any further trouble from them.
Back in England I was given permission by the uncle of several Asian kids to clout any of his nephews that gave me grief. They could be a nuisance but I never did clout any of them. They liked me and I liked them. I did have to get hold of one Asian kid by the ear and drag him out of my car though. I got out of my car one day and left the engine running while I opened my garage door. There was loads of Asian kids all around my car as usual and they would always be nosing in my car and garage and asking me lots of questions but they were ok but one of the had got in my car and was behind the wheel! He didnt mean any harm but I was worried he was going to put the car in gear and accidentally run over some of the little kids so I had to get him out of the car as quickly as possible. I just grabbed the poor little tikes ear and got him out quickly. After that incident I always took the keys out of the ignition when they were about.
We knew who had written the graffiti because the kids are actually stupid enough to write their own names!
I had exactly the same kind of thing happen on my garage door. I pulled up the two kids and told them I knew they had graffitied my garage door which they denied of course. I then said well those are your names on there and they just bowed their heads a little ashamed of themselves.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:07 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
The wife pointed out that of the three schools in the area, the french graffiti was near the french school, the english near the english & the spanish near the spanish. make of that what you will
The councils and authorities can`t be bothered.

My concern would be is this simply kids being kids or is it gang tagging or drug related.

Some parts of the States it was a street art form which was left to mature, it then turned into local gangs doin the dog equivilant of pi88ing on the street corner to warn others who controls the areas and who may or may not enter.

There is a lot of South American`s in Spain and many gangs.

Last edited by chulo; Oct 30th 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

This thread has been an eye opener, I didn't realise the problem was so common in Spain but I have lived in Ayamonte for a number of years and I can't remember seeing walls of graffiti here. Yet over the bridge to Portugal and it is on full view especially when the tourists land in Faro by the airport or entering any other of the Portuguese towns. The grandkids are always looking in amazement and asking who does the "painting" in Portugal and why they don't "paint" the walls in Ayamonte which such colours.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:22 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Another off putting piece of Spanish culture is the roadside billboards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.