Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Would graffiti drive you away?

Would graffiti drive you away?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would graffiti drive you away?

I live on a short street with houses on one side only on the outskirts of Torrevieja. They’re decent houses built around 30 years ago, and we’ve lived here for ten years. We’re the only English family in the street, most of the rest are Scandinavian owned, used as holiday homes. Of the two Spanish houses, one owner has died and the family have just left it, the other people live in Bilbao and have abandoned it this year, it’s up for sale at a silly price.

We’re the only ones who live here all year round, but Swedish neighbours two doors away spend ten months of the year here. They’ve owned the house for 30 years, the husband is a retired builder and spends every day working on his house. He’s turned it into a palace, especially the outside wall, which is a work of art, two metres high, for the burglars, with marble inlays, and people come along just to admire it.

During their two-month absence this summer, the snotty-nosed local graffiti artists have used their perfect canvas to display their skills. They’ve turned the beautiful wall into a disgusting and ugly display of ignorance.

When the Swedish owners returned a couple of weeks ago, I spoke to them and the big man had tears in his eyes when he pointed to his wall. I wondered how he could clear up the mess and offered to help, but he declined.

I was sitting on the terrace tonight when I noticed a giant removal lorry, with a trailer, slowly driving up the street. They stopped outside the Swedish house and at this moment, even though its dark, they’re loading up the vehicle.

I got some minor graffiti at the same time, but I’ve got a scruffy wall, purposely, and I’m not going to let some snotty nosed graffiti artist drive me away. I should mention that some of the graffiti is in English.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:56 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would graffiti drive you away?

Its sad, but there is a lot of graffiti everywhere in Spain, well certainly everwhere I've been! The Spanish youths dont seem to go in for vandalism as they do in the UK tho - I'm often pleasantly surprised by things that are in the streets and not trashed or broken, but sadly, they do like to draw on everything!

Maybe they should provide big areas of "canvas" for these guys to get it out of their system????

Jo xxx
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I live on a short street with houses on one side only on the outskirts of Torrevieja. They’re decent houses built around 30 years ago, and we’ve lived here for ten years. We’re the only English family in the street, most of the rest are Scandinavian owned, used as holiday homes. Of the two Spanish houses, one owner has died and the family have just left it, the other people live in Bilbao and have abandoned it this year, it’s up for sale at a silly price.

We’re the only ones who live here all year round, but Swedish neighbours two doors away spend ten months of the year here. They’ve owned the house for 30 years, the husband is a retired builder and spends every day working on his house. He’s turned it into a palace, especially the outside wall, which is a work of art, two metres high, for the burglars, with marble inlays, and people come along just to admire it.

During their two-month absence this summer, the snotty-nosed local graffiti artists have used their perfect canvas to display their skills. They’ve turned the beautiful wall into a disgusting and ugly display of ignorance.

When the Swedish owners returned a couple of weeks ago, I spoke to them and the big man had tears in his eyes when he pointed to his wall. I wondered how he could clear up the mess and offered to help, but he declined.

I was sitting on the terrace tonight when I noticed a giant removal lorry, with a trailer, slowly driving up the street. They stopped outside the Swedish house and at this moment, even though its dark, they’re loading up the vehicle.

I got some minor graffiti at the same time, but I’ve got a scruffy wall, purposely, and I’m not going to let some snotty nosed graffiti artist drive me away. I should mention that some of the graffiti is in English.
Certainly wouldnt buy a property in a graffiti smeared area,but if it began after I moved in I wouldnt rest till I caught the ignorant P... Artists and shoved their aerosols where the sun dont shine,...sideways.

Very sad about the Swedes.
Quite understandable however, as their Viking spirit has long gone, and the vast majority of present day Swedes are the exact opposite, tending to run a mile to avoid trouble or any form of confrontation rather than face up to it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:05 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

no
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been graffiti free here until recently, and then one wall seems to have taken the hit at the rear of one of the houses. They have kept just to that wall but nothing more ... I was a little concerned however that my nice white wall at the front might be an attraction to them!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:51 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We've been graffiti free here until recently, and then one wall seems to have taken the hit at the rear of one of the houses. They have kept just to that wall but nothing more ... I was a little concerned however that my nice white wall at the front might be an attraction to them!

Remind me to pack mi brushes for the summer Mitz
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Two corners away, an elderly Englishman lives in a house overlooking a large public park, where I walk my dog every day. Over the recent years I’ve seen his walls covered in graffiti one day and noticed that he’d painted over it the next day, time after time, he must have used gallons of paint.

A couple of months ago I noticed a large CCTV camera halfway up a tall lamppost, overlooking his wall and thought that it must be a dummy one, because there are no official ones around. But it works, he’s been graffiti-free for months.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

If that happened to us I would do the same and move either away from the town or the country.

It may well only be a wall and it may have been wise to make it less attractive, but when it is your property to do as you please (within the law) and make it the way you want it should be left alone by all.

I fear if they had removed the mess it would in all likelyhood be graffitied again.

From what I gather of local Spanish law enforcement a complaint would be a waste of time.

Last edited by chulo; Oct 29th 2009 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember a time when Spain was graffiti free, now it is everywhere, sad.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I have the tall walls that would be a potential target for a graffitti artist so I am frantically trying to grow my Buganvilla so that it drapes down over the street side and forms a wall of flowers. Looks good and can't be graffittied!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Two thoughts, one trite: i knew there was at least one good reason to live in the campo. 2:- a couple i know had second thoughts about sending their son to a school because the husband didn't like that the area was full of graffiti. The wife pointed out that of the three schools in the area, the french graffiti was near the french school, the english near the english & the spanish near the spanish. make of that what you will
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I can remember a time when Spain was graffiti free, now it is everywhere, sad.
Surely you're only talking about the smaller towns/cities? Even back in the 70s/80s you'd get graffiti in the big cities - of a different kind I admit - it was political and normally anti-Nato stuff.

I think New York had a very bad history of graffiti at one point, especially on their underground system. When they started their crack-down on petty crime, they made a point of attacking this, because they found if an area looks rundown, more criminals tend to appear and "take their chances"!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:48 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I have the tall walls that would be a potential target for a graffitti artist so I am frantically trying to grow my Buganvilla so that it drapes down over the street side and forms a wall of flowers. Looks good and can't be graffittied!
Hmm,could give them a prickly problem even when the flowers fall off, as long as you dont cut it back too much.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Surely you're only talking about the smaller towns/cities? Even back in the 70s/80s you'd get graffiti in the big cities - of a different kind I admit - it was political and normally anti-Nato stuff.
VOTANO

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 29th 2009 at 10:21 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

There's a guy called Colin Gradon, comes to Ibiza for his holiday every year and spends part of his holiday painting over graffiti with white paint. Vandals sometimes paint messages to him on top of his white paint, like "no white walls" or the message below that I have seen on several walls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.