Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The World's Richest People

The World's Richest People

Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The World's Richest People

Originally Posted by cricketman
Believe me, they are still there, I met a few in London

And the gap between the working class and middle class is still quite pronounced. I had the shock of my life when I went to university. The people there were very middle class and coming from a poorish Northern city, I'd never met people like that.
Of course some of it's still there and likely always will be, as long as some ppl.look down their noses at others, or think they're better than anyone else.
However the classes are much more difficult to categorise these days, and tend to intermingle much more than ever before.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
Believe me, they are still there, I met a few in London

And the gap between the working class and middle class is still quite pronounced. I had the shock of my life when I went to university. The people there were very middle class and coming from a poorish Northern city, I'd never met people like that.

And you consider yourself to be which class now?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
There used to be a rule that when you go to uni you turn middle class. Although that doesnt include all those micky mouse unis they have nowadays

I dont like terms and labels so prefer to not call myself anything

Although I am more comfortable talking to people who have a similar education to myself. It seems most of my family and the British people I play football with (who have little education) only talk about TV, X-factor, pop music and football.

In Spain, its different, my OH's family are all lawyers, engineers etc and strongly middle class, although her parents grew up without electricity or plumbing! That says to me that the class boundaries are more easily overcome in Spain
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
An interesting question.

Again, I would say that if you are aspirational and educated, you are by default middle class.

My profession for 30 years was about as working class as it is possible to get, and still be in work. Occasionally I'd get some snotty little nouveau riche trying it on and speaking down to me, but it never did them much good. As people on here will be aware, I have a reasonable education, and can give as good as I get, often much better.

I'd consider myself middle class, but don't really give a shit.

I used to find that old money was almost without exception polite and well mannered towards me, and many a time I have sat chatting with Lord whatsit while I told him exactly how inadequate his expensive architect had been, while the butler hovered in the background having 20 fits at the sight.

Happy days. Never once did I have any of them inform me that I should address them as 'Your Lordship'.

I would always turn up, and when they came to the door, or I met them for the first time, I'd say 'Lord so-and-so? I've come to sweep the chimney.'

After that I would talk to them exactly as I would to any other person.

Had any of them demanded that I addressed them as 'Your Lordship' , they would have been told "How many do you want? You can have one 'Your Lordship' every sentance if you wish, but that will be extra, and be advised that we will be costing them at 1.50 each."
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Had any of them demanded that I addressed them as 'Your Lordship' , they would have been told "How many do you want? You can have one 'Your Lordship' every sentance if you wish, but that will be extra, and be advised that we will be costing them at 1.50 each."
Ahem...

Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Ah, great TV. I could have made a mint had they demanded to be addressed like that.....
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Ah, great TV. I could have made a mint had they demanded to be addressed like that.....
In my youth I worked for a guy called Eric Parker, he was high up in the P&O gravy train before they realised he was basically screwing them as much as he could get away with and he had been nighted and would introduce himself as Sir Eric Parker, no Mr Parker, no Sir Parker, it had to be Sir Eric Parker, and for his humble minions who looked after his racehorses it was Sir Eric.... needless to say I never once called him any of those... to me he was just Eric... or Mr Parker... pretentious tosser!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
In my youth I worked for a guy called Eric Parker, he was high up in the P&O gravy train before they realised he was basically screwing them as much as he could get away with and he had been nighted and would introduce himself as Sir Eric Parker, no Mr Parker, no Sir Parker, it had to be Sir Eric Parker, and for his humble minions who looked after his racehorses it was Sir Eric.... needless to say I never once called him any of those... to me he was just Eric... or Mr Parker... pretentious tosser!
Typical nouveau ponce. I can't abide them.

I had one of them come it with me once, very arrogant, and as I went in I saw he had a book entitled 'Teach yourself German' open on the side.

That was all I needed, so I turned to him, smiled sweetly and said in German, 'Ah, I see you are learning German. Now I can practise mine. Practise makes perfect, eh?'

Dead silence. Mouth wide open.

I went on 'Deutsche Sprache, grammatike Sprache, eh? I do find the grammar absolutely fascinating, don't you?'

There was silence for a moment and then he said (very politely)

'Would you like some coffee and biscuits?'