Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Spain for summer - with my kids

Wikiposts

Working in Spain for summer - with my kids

Old May 18th 2014, 11:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Spain for summer - with my kids

Well perhaps if you read my original post you would see I was merely enquiring, and had said that I was looking on the work away site who have families who host families in return for help on farms etc etc. Is there anything wrong with wanting to give my children life experience??
As well as the Wwoofing link provided upthread, this may also be an option for those wanting to spend some time in Spain (adults or teens). Again it is done on a volunteer basis but at least accommodation and meals are provided. I'm not totally happy with unpaid work, but it seems to attract people from various countries.

http://www.diverbo.com/en/volunteer-abroad/adults
Old May 18th 2014, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Omg77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Weird?! It's maybe weird that you never read my whole post! Maybe then you would see I was 1) merely enquiring 2) looking for a host family to provide B&B in return for a few hours helping hand. I find it weird that you've never heard of such a thing!

Wow, sorry for getting off my ass and wanting to see the world!

And thank you hatecold, these guys obviously don't understand the concept of "research" :-)
Old May 18th 2014, 11:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatecold
You guys are terrible. It is perfectly fine to remind about the sad employment situation, but giving hard time about someone's parenting skills?

I'm sure that with a right attitude and a lot of research one can find some form of employment in tourist areas during high season. Or maybe some farm work or such. Call centres are hiring all the time as well.
OK, this is a family forum, where people come and ask for help and support. Where possible they get that.
Perhaps you would like to make a contribution by providing details of businesses who are advertising for short term (and possibly part time) labour for a month or so in the summer. Links to websites would also be of use.
The reason for callcentres hiring all the time is that the churn rate is astronomical due to the conditions people have to work under.

finally, when someone says they want to bring 12 & 14 yo kids to a foreign country when the parent will be working to pay for the holiday.............
that isn't a parenting skill, more like a recipe for disaster.

ttfn
Old May 18th 2014, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

hatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

It is a bit strange how a mother is looking for work for their 12 and 14 year olds. It is completely illegal and frankly weird ........ What are the kids going to do when she is working?
Shes is not looking for work for the kids but herself. She was just planning to take her kids with her.

What did I do at age 12 to 14 when my parents were working and I was not at school? The usual stuff kids that age do. Are you guys trying to tell us that one parent should be with the kids at all times?

I'm not saying her idea is brilliant, but some of the replies are outright nasty.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Shes is not looking for work for the kids but herself. She was just planning to take her kids with her.

What did I do at age 12 to 14 when my parents were working and I was not at school? The usual stuff kids that age do. Are you guys trying to tell us that one parent should be with the kids at all times?

I'm not saying her idea is brilliant, but some of the replies are outright nasty.
I have to be honest when I was 14 and my sister 12 both our parents had to work, during the summer we were "left on our own". But we had the support of 2 mothers in adjacent houses if it was needed.
But that was in 1960's home counties England.

NOT a foreign country where we didn't know anyone and our parents didn't know anyone.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Omg77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, the 1960s, this is 2014 and there's a big world out there - and you live once.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

hatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Perhaps you would like to make a contribution by providing details of businesses who are advertising for short term (and possibly part time) labour for a month or so in the summer. Links to websites would also be of use.

ttfn
If that was meant for me, I'll leave the research to the ones who are looking for the jobs. That is, unless I am paid for my time. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world, if one could get such a service for free!
Just as a starter: For example, I was reading an another local expat forum and saw ads for restaurant and bar work advertised there.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:03 am

If that was meant for me, I'll leave the research to the ones who are looking for the jobs. That is, unless I am paid for my time. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world, if one could get such a service for free!
Just as a starter: For example, I was reading an another local expat forum and saw ads for restaurant and bar work advertised there.
well if you can only come make suggestions with no concrete base then don't get shirty about my expectation for parents to parent.

when the need is there BES members are more than willing to post websites and other information to help people out. No we don't offer a full JobCentre service, but we don't expect to get paid either. It is to help others from the knowledge we have on the ground, in the area/region.
But in this instance the OP said Spain - larger country than UK by a long way.
No indications as to what qualified to do, what previous experience.
Enthusiastic amateurs only get in the way and after a month are just starting to get good and they go home and you have to start all over again

`
Old May 19th 2014, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this coming a mile off. Many forums have been ruined this way. The Op has made it very clear they arent going to spain. For the life of me I dont know why youre all still posting here? Seems for no other reason than shouting down anyone who dared speak up. I dont give a monkeys chuff what anyones reasons are for being such a bunch of miserable grumpy boll*x. If someone politely asks for advice, then I would expect people to give polite responses, regardless of whether you agree or not. Not use it as another excuse to proffer misnomers about personal assumptions. If you think you havent been, then I bet you all just sshhhparkle at parties. I suggest you all go sit on the naughty step...and think long and hard. Or no pudding for you tonight me deary.

Last edited by t2uds; May 19th 2014 at 2:58 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 5:48 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I know it gets repetitive when we have new members who come and ask the same type of questions over and over again .... but that is what BE is all about.

You've all at some point had questions answered on here, so by answering other peoples questions all you are doing is paying if forward. If you don't feel that you can do that, then please don't step into a thread just so you can make personal judgements on someone you don't know. Not a great way to welcome a new member is it?

Thread closed.