Reload this Page >

Working from Spain for a company in the UK

Working from Spain for a company in the UK

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Crcguerreiro93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working from Spain for a company in the UK

Hello,

I believe this matter has been addressed previously in this forum but I can't really find the right information for my situation. I currently work as a permanent full time software developer for a UK company. The company has no financial entity in Spain.

I have been thinking for a while and finally made my head up to.move.to Spain where my girlfriend is currently living. I'm Portuguese and she is Spanish.

My question is regarding what my options are since the company is not financially present in Spain. Taxwise I'm not knowledgeable so I have no clue where to start from.

- Can I still keep my full time contract with this company and move to Spain working remotely?

- Do I need (if it is even possible) to go as a freelancer or contractor? Basically selling my services to the company.

How do taxes work in that sense?

Many thanks for the time,

JG
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 4:48 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working from Spain for a company in the UK

I think: You would need to change your contract with the UK company to be a contractor instead of a normal employee (with a wage slip and PAYE taxes), the company would send you an invoice and transfer to your Spanish bank account (best if it's a SEPA payment), and you would have to set yourself up as an autonomo (self-employed) in Spain. If the Spanish bank is one of the big ones (e.g. Sabadell) they may charge a fee to receive SEPA payments from the UK, you could treat it as a business expense. You may be able to use the existing double-taxation treaty between Spain and the UK to reduce your income tax in Spain. I have no idea how the VAT would work, maybe it's similar to what is done for goods when you send a parcel from the UK to the EU.

But these are guesses, you're going to have to get some proper advice from a gestor.

Look on the bright side, you won't have any residency problems.