British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   working in spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/working-spain-785304/)

yettibear Jan 27th 2013 4:15 pm

working in spain

Hi i have a sucessfull clothing alterations business in england but would like to move to spain , would i be able to make a living doing alterations over there or is the demand not as high as in england. we have capital in our house so we will have money behind us but would still need to earn some money. Can anyone offer advice. regards Yvette

me me Jan 27th 2013 4:22 pm

Re: working in spain

I would say that as you have as good business it would be better to stay in the UK.

Spain is in a bad way right now and there does not seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel

Rosemary Jan 27th 2013 7:01 pm

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Fred James Jan 27th 2013 8:40 pm

There was a little outlet in our local hypermarket that offered an alteration service. It may have been a franchise but it closed after about 6 months.

Dxf Jan 27th 2013 9:20 pm

Hi

In my area unemployment has reached 40%. Everyone and his wife needs to earn money at any price. Honest opinion - not a hope

Davexf

chrisjolly Jan 27th 2013 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by yettibear (Post 10508557)
Hi i have a sucessfull clothing alterations business in england but would like to move to spain , would i be able to make a living doing alterations over there or is the demand not as high as in england. we have capital in our house so we will have money behind us but would still need to earn some money. Can anyone offer advice. regards Yvette

There is very little work in Spain and doing alterations is not a way to earn a decent living even if you managed to get a few clients. My wife did it and it was very time consuming for little reward. Really its a non starter..sorry but you did ask!

Domino Jan 28th 2013 6:25 am

as others are saying - you have a successful business in the UK (which makes you one of the lucky ones), why spoil it all by giving it up to follow a cloudy dream. Clouds turn wet or just drift away.

Much better would be to retain the business as is and spend periods out here
but to use that old phrase.........

Don't give up the day job

rgds

Retired in Euskadi Jan 28th 2013 7:05 am

I would certainly take note of what the others above have said.

However I can only comment on the area where we live, the Basque country in the north of Spain. There are several clothing alteration shops in the nearby town of Durango & they are still in business. There is less unemployment here than in the south of Spain. One also offers a dry cleaning service.

Rosemary Jan 28th 2013 7:09 am

In every small village or town there are women who do this for the other inhabitants, their business is slow, badly paid and impossible to call a proper wage. In larger towns they tend to have a small kiosk style shop in larger complexes but again even if they have a reasonable amount of work they are not what could be called successful.

Add to this the fact that so many people are now unemployed and you will realise that this means fewer people will have the ability to buy new clothes and therefore fewer still will be having their clothes altered.

Personally I would say that it would be very difficult for you to set up your business here.

Rosemary

SueG Jan 28th 2013 8:53 am

My local lady has just shut up shop and gone - she even tried moving to smaller premises so unfortunately I would think probably a non starter:(

Pocaloca Jan 28th 2013 12:38 pm

I do know someone who makes a living from her sewing machine - curtains, soft covers, flamenco dresses, carnival costumes, communion dresses, etc as well as alterations. But it has taken her years to build up her reputation, by word of mouth (advertising is no good, people need to know you) and she charges less than 10€ an hour.

Domino Jan 28th 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10510093)
I do know someone who makes a living from her sewing machine - curtains, soft covers, flamenco dresses, carnival costumes, communion dresses, etc as well as alterations. But it has taken her years to build up her reputation, by word of mouth (advertising is no good, people need to know you) and she charges less than 10€ an hour.

thats less than my hairdresser
:eek: