British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   working in spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/working-spain-295575/)

graemestuart99 Apr 10th 2005 1:26 pm

working in spain

Hello all

We are considering moving to Spain, BUT what kind of work is available - me and my wife are teachers but dont speak spanish, so you can see our predicament there. What do you lot do for work?

Thanks in advance
Graeme & Clare :beer:

Richb Apr 11th 2005 10:15 am

Re: working in spain

Originally Posted by graemestuart99
Hello all

We are considering moving to Spain, BUT what kind of work is available - me and my wife are teachers but dont speak spanish, so you can see our predicament there. What do you lot do for work?

Thanks in advance
Graeme & Clare :beer:

Hi to you,

When I was looking for work here in Andalucia i noticed a ton of English speaking teachers positions advertised.

I guess it depends where you are planning to reside and what age level & subjects you are qualified to teach.

I work in IT and if you don't speak fluent spanish you are in for a long wait for work.

Good luck :)

5thbeatle Apr 11th 2005 12:35 pm

richb

rRichb,

Have you had any contact with Wemploy at all in Fuengirola ?

Originally Posted by Richb
Hi to you,

When I was looking for work here in Andalucia i noticed a ton of English speaking teachers positions advertised.

I guess it depends where you are planning to reside and what age level & subjects you are qualified to teach.

I work in IT and if you don't speak fluent spanish you are in for a long wait for work.

Good luck :)

Richb Apr 11th 2005 5:19 pm

Re: richb

Originally Posted by 5thbeatle
rRichb,

Have you had any contact with Wemploy at all in Fuengirola ?

Hi 5thbeatle,

I believe I did, yes.
Web site was always up to date, people very friendly.
Seemed to advertise many tantalizing positions, however I was never offered an interview or to my knowledge put forward for any of them and had to push hard for a regular response.

5thbeatle Apr 12th 2005 8:18 am

Re: richb

So what are you up to now ?. Did you manage to procure an I.T. position eventually ?. Just curious as I'm looking at I.T. Support / Teaching in Madrid area.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Richb
Hi 5thbeatle,

I believe I did, yes.
Web site was always up to date, people very friendly.
Seemed to advertise many tantalizing positions, however I was never offered an interview or to my knowledge put forward for any of them and had to push hard for a regular response.

Richb Apr 12th 2005 8:56 am

Re: working in spain

Yes m8, the emphasis being the word eventually :eek:

Took me 6 months of hard selling and many failures before I managed a position with an English speaking company.
The first two months I applied from outside Spain but this is a waste of time as people wanted assurances that you were actually realistic about the Spanish life, I guess they receive a lot of 'wannabe here' enquiries and cv's where people don't make the final plunge.
Once I arrived, had an NIE number, bank account & mailing address things began to pick up although like I said, it was another 4 months before actually landing a job :(

The biggest setback was of course most companies require people speak at least Business Spanish.
I am determined to learn business or hopefully fluent Spanish but i'm not the best at language, I struggled with French for 3 years and Spanish is along similair lines of the Latin structure.

I think the IT market is far better in Madrid being a huge city but most will insist on Spanish speakers.

Good luck, hope you don't have to wait as long as I did...would have been better had it been during the summer months but being out of work over new year is not recommended :p