Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in San Cibrao, Galicia

Working in San Cibrao, Galicia

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

ukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in San Cibrao, Galicia

Hi all

I'm looking for some information really. I'm a mature student in the UK, studying, amongst other things, Spanish. For my year abroad I have been very lucky to get a post as a language assistant at a school in San Cibrao, near Cervo, Galicia.

I love Galicia but have only spent time in and around Vigo and Santiago and have never been to the 'north' of Galicia. There doesn't seem to be too much information about the area other than the (bad) weather!!

I come from quite a sleepy place now so I have no worries about it being quite rural and far from any main towns but I will need to secure accommodation (from September) for me and my 16 yr old daughter who would prefer to be somewhere with a bit of life

I realise improving my limited Spanish will be a challenge but am hoping with working in a school and immersing oneself in the culture, things will start to make sense after a while...If anyone can post any information about San Cibrao, Cervo or the surrounding area and if we would be able to integrate into the community fairly easily then I'd be very grateful. Suggestions on the best area to live and availability of rental property would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Helen
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in San Cibrao, Galicia

Originally Posted by ukroseblue
Hi all

I'm looking for some information really. I'm a mature student in the UK, studying, amongst other things, Spanish. For my year abroad I have been very lucky to get a post as a language assistant at a school in San Cibrao, near Cervo, Galicia.

I love Galicia but have only spent time in and around Vigo and Santiago and have never been to the 'north' of Galicia. There doesn't seem to be too much information about the area other than the (bad) weather!!

I come from quite a sleepy place now so I have no worries about it being quite rural and far from any main towns but I will need to secure accommodation (from September) for me and my 16 yr old daughter who would prefer to be somewhere with a bit of life

I realise improving my limited Spanish will be a challenge but am hoping with working in a school and immersing oneself in the culture, things will start to make sense after a while...If anyone can post any information about San Cibrao, Cervo or the surrounding area and if we would be able to integrate into the community fairly easily then I'd be very grateful. Suggestions on the best area to live and availability of rental property would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Helen
Hi Helen, I'm not entirely sure but I think I read somewhere that in Galicia some schools only teach in Galician and not Castellano
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Hi Helen and welcome!

I live in Galicia though I'm afraid I live a bit far down. Cervo is a nice place though as you have already guessed a bit isolated. It doesn't mean the area itself is dead but it's far from the biggest towns like Coruña or Vigo. I assume there won't be much problem in renting a place as some people have houses that are only used in summer (though as you said, the weather there is not the best for summer holidays). The problem will be if you don't have a car, as public transport is rubbish/non existant. If you don't, the chances of finding something will be reduced to San Cibrao. I say this because Foz, Viveiro or Ribadeo are bigger places in that area (that is called A Mariña).

I've been a language assistant myself and funnily enough, I think I've worked (as a supply teacher only) in your future school. I say I "think" because there are 2 schools in Cervo so I'm not sure which one. For the time I was there, I stayed in a hostal called Buenavista. Probably the only one there, it's nice and quite cheap for a few days. I'd like to think that teachers in your school will be nice enough to help you out. Maybe there was another assistant last year and they know people who rent houses, they are the best contacts for you in the area. Usually, they also give you the email address of the previous assistant so you can ask them too.

I think there's a member here who lives near Viveiro, they can give you more info, I'm sure. Because I don't live there or anything, there's not much I can say, but I'm teacher too (hopefully we'll get an assistant in our school as well) and if there's anything I can do, here I am. I'm in fact looking forward to coming back to that region because I think it's really beautiful! Don't miss out the Praia das Catedrais! Good luck!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I live near Viveiro (up a hill near Covas) so if I can be of any help please let me know. Renting a property in September should not be to much of a problem as the summer season will be over. Rent is approximately 200-250 euros a month. I do not know anything about the nightlife in Viveiro as we have three young children. Gallego is the language spoken mostly here in the schools.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

ukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond reputeukroseblue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Quick responses, I'm impressed.

Thank you very much for the information so far, it's much appreciated.

Stuboy - I will be an English Language Assistant and I hope that the teachers will talk to me in Castellano if I ask them too. They'll soon realise how much help I need...Although I would also love to learn some Gallego while I'm in Galicia.

Siesta - That's great you were a language assistant too, perhaps you can relate to my feelings of inadequacy and worry that I won't understand a damn thing?!!

I only started learning Spanish two years ago and have never studied languages before. I love learning Spanish but it is very difficult for me, particularly as I started when I was 42 years old!! Luckily I have a great friend in Vigo who helps me with the language but as we will be the other side of Galicia, she won't be able to help with accommodation and integrating. Maybe that's better though as I won't be able to rely on her, we'll just bumble along on our own and see what happens!

My school will be IES Marqués de Sargadelos. I need to email them my acceptance (I only found out on Friday where I was posted) and I will ask about accommodation and if they have had a language assistant before, their email address, but I'm wondering if it will be better to stay in a larger town like Viveiro? I will be bringing my car initially though I'm aware I can only use it for 6 months before re-registering it and I'm not sure if I want to do that.

Thanks for your post though and any more info about anything, including the language assistant job, would be wonderful...

Battlezone - Thanks to you too for offering your help. we're really looking forward to going and although it's only for a year (well, academic year) as I need to return to finish my degree, we're both hoping to meet lots of people and make some new friends. My daughter, Emma, is into singing and music and wants to join a youth choir or have the opportunity to continue with her singing and guitar playing in some way, do you think Viveiro would offer her the chance of doing this? She will also need to go to school and she's told me she'd prefer to go to a different school than the one I'll be in so this is another reason why I'm thinking about living elsewhere. She has just completed her GCSE's and although she took Spanish and wants to take it at A Level on our return, I don't think she could cope with the bachillerato. This is something else I need to organise so if you have any info on secondary schools and enrolment, documents needed etc, then I'd also be grateful. (I know you said your kids were younger so no worries if not)

Also you mentioned rent will be around 200-250 euros a month, that's seems very cheap? Great if it is but I was expecting to pay around 500-600 euros a month. Do you know the best places to find out in advance or is it a case of turning up and find it then?

Thanks again

Helen
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

I hope that the teachers will talk to me in Castellano if I ask them too.
Of course they will, don't believe when people tell you that schools here are 100% Galician. Paperwork will be though.

Siesta - That's great you were a language assistant too, perhaps you can relate to my feelings of inadequacy and worry that I won't understand a damn thing?!!
Well, I was an assistant in England (twice) and I didn't have any problem with the language. My problems came with how incredibly unfriendly teachers were. The first year I was in a great school so it was an excellent experience. The second time it was awful. But you shouldn't worry, I'm sure things will be different for you, I haven't heard anybody complaining about it here. I've met several assistants in the past few years (American, French, German, etc) and they all were very happy. As a teacher myself I can assure you that you will be welcomed in the staff room and people will help you.

My school will be IES Marqués de Sargadelos
Ahuh, then it's not the place I thought. That's a secondary school. Not a big one, there are about 30 teachers. Whenever you send them that email, ask them all you need and the contact for the previous assistant.

I think Viveiro would be a nice choice, it's just about 15km. There are 2 IES in Viveiro where your daughter could go to. One of them offers apart from ESO, FP modules.

IES Vilar Ponte Telf.: 982560784 FAX:982560783
[email protected]
IES María Sarmiento. Telf. 982560449
[email protected]

If you plan to get in contact with them you should hurry up, as we're already on holidays. Only the equipo directivo might be around for a few days longer. If not, I guess you can wait until you come here and talk to them.

If your daughter is into music, you're lucky because there is a Conservatorio in Viveiro. It's an official/state school for music. What I don't know is the deadlines for enrolling or things like that, for the IES and this, your school can help you because they have the same rules and they know better than me. There is also a EOI which is the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas in Viveiro, you can study German, French, Italian and English.

Thanks for your post though and any more info about anything, including the language assistant job, would be wonderful
I could only tell you what's similar to the programme in the UK. The basis are the same (number of hours, type of contract, description of the job) but I don't know what might change here. They will send you a package of info and I also think you'll have an induction day in Santiago. However, if there's anything in particular, just send me a message.

Also you mentioned rent will be around 200-250 euros a month, that's seems very cheap?
Yeah, that seems a reasonable price so yes, cheap!