Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working on Mallorca.

Working on Mallorca.

Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

acccobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working on Mallorca.

Hi Guys, I am moving to Mallorca within the next 3 months.I will have enough money to last about 3 months, I have an apartment in Palma nova. My son (21) will find it very easy to get bar work as he has loads of experience.. I am a Jobbing builder by Trade and can turn my hand to most trades. My question is do you think there is enough work for a hard working builder to work within the expat community. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks D.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:27 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working on Mallorca.

I don't know Mallorca but if it's anything like mainland Spain at the moment then no.
Spain has one of the highest rates of unemployment in Europe, set to rise to 19% this year, that's one in every 5 people out of work. Many expats are themselves having to move away from Spain, many retired expats' incomes have plummetted due to the exchange rate. Not a good time to be moving here if you need to work.
If you and your son have work in the UK, stay there for now. If you do decide to move then make sure you have at least enough savings for 12 months not 3!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

acccobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working on Mallorca.

Thanks, I will take that onboard. D.