Reload this Page >

Working in Gibraltar - Seeking Advice

Working in Gibraltar - Seeking Advice

Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

maharishi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Gibraltar - Seeking Advice

Hi all,

So glad I found this great forum, I've read a few posts where people have had a similar idea to me about looking for work and moving to Gibraltar / southern spain and actually gone ahead and done it.

A little background first of all, I'm an IT professional and mainly a software developer who also handles some project management with about 9 years experience. Starting to get completely disillusioned with living in the UK and have always had an idea to work abroad in the back of my mind.

I've worked abroad before - so the concept isn't completely alien, and things are generally starting to fall into place in my life at the moment where a move abroad will become possible.

I've noticed Gibraltar seems to have it's fair share of IT jobs, so it appeals to me that it's also that it's English speaking with a stones' throw from Spain itself.

Does anyone have some good advice in respect of getting started, what can I expect living costs to be for somewhere like San Roque or La Linea?

Also, for those of you who currently work in Gibraltar and live in spain, is it hard to get by in the early days until you get a good grasp of the lingo?... given that my Spanish isn't fantastic (I've done a few courses, but obviously I'm willing to learn more ).

Also for those of you who took a job up, did you make the move to Gib before or after jobseeking? I guess in respect of interviews, it's only an 85 quid flight to Malaga via Easyjet plus a short stay.

Thanks for any answers, I guess it's all a bit jumbled, but I've got loads of questions and didn't know where to start !