Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

working in Gibraltar living in Spain HELP!

working in Gibraltar living in Spain HELP!

Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

futurewife1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working in Gibraltar living in Spain HELP!

Hi,
Myself and my partner have been offered a really good job working in Gibraltar. We are debating on what area is best to live in Spain. We have ruled out Gibraltar due to the expense.
Ideally we would like a quiet, well furnished apartment/villa/house minimum 3 bedrooms. From what we can see on the net Alcaidesa seems pretty good aswell as La Linea. I do have a UK driving license so if we are required to drive for commuting then there is the option of us getting a car.
Could anyone reccomend anywhere else that is a reasonable distance to Gib? What is La Linea and Alcaidesa like to live? Also is public transport any good?
This is going to be a very fast process because we need to be in Gib in a month! any help would be great.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in Gibraltar living in Spain HELP!

You state that you require 3 bedrooms, are there children and their education to be considered?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:27 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
You state that you require 3 bedrooms, are there children and their education to be considered?
The 3 bedrooms will probably be for the other wives that are planned, hence the poster being futurewife1.

As futurewife1 is posting, I suppose there will be a futurewife2, and possibly a futurewife3, given time, but it is best to plan for that now and buy a 3 bedroomed place.

Some guys are gluttons for punishment.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JLFS
The 3 bedrooms will probably be for the other wives that are planned, hence the poster being futurewife1.

As futurewife1 is posting, I suppose there will be a futurewife2, and possibly a futurewife3, given time, but it is best to plan for that now and buy a 3 bedroomed place.

Some guys are gluttons for punishment.
lol the bedrooms is for my step son for when he visits from the UK and the other bedroom is for a person we are sharing with. For financial reasons its easier for my partner and i to share with a friend and also she doesn't know anyone in Spain or Gib.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by futurewife1
lol the bedrooms is for my step son for when he visits from the UK and the other bedroom is for a person we are sharing with. For financial reasons its easier for my partner and i to share with a friend and also she doesn't know anyone in Spain or Gib.

Ok

La Linea has a bad reputation and properties that are convenient for walking into Gibraltar can be more expensive.
There are however some nicer areas on the outskirts of the town, but most are poorly served by public transport.

From Alcaidesa you would require a car / motorbike both for commuting and for a social life.

Once you have gone down the car route there are many places on the coast or inland that become accessible

Here are a couple of Gibraltar estate agents with rental property in Spain:-

http://www.bfagib.com/rentals.asp?Country_ID=2

http://www.brayproperties.com/lettin...ry_ID=2&Locati

Going through a Spanish agent is usually cheaper, can you speak Spanish?

Word of mouth and company noticeboards are the best ways of finding property, other employees will already have the knowledge.

Remember times are hard so you are in a good position to negotiate.

There have been many similar question on this forum, try a search.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Ok

La Linea has a bad reputation and properties that are convenient for walking into Gibraltar can be more expensive.
There are however some nicer areas on the outskirts of the town, but most are poorly served by public transport.

From Alcaidesa you would require a car / motorbike both for commuting and for a social life.

Once you have gone down the car route there are many places on the coast or inland that become accessible

Here are a couple of Gibraltar estate agents with rental property in Spain:-

http://www.bfagib.com/rentals.asp?Country_ID=2

http://www.brayproperties.com/lettin...ry_ID=2&Locati

Going through a Spanish agent is usually cheaper, can you speak Spanish?

Word of mouth and company noticeboards are the best ways of finding property, other employees will already have the knowledge.

Remember times are hard so you are in a good position to negotiate.

There have been many similar question on this forum, try a search.
thanks that answers a lot of my questions, on the car note do you know how the insurance system works?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by futurewife1
thanks that answers a lot of my questions, on the car note do you know how the insurance system works?
I'm insured with Ibex

http://www.ibexinsure.com/
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Sotogrande Spain is an upscale community about 30 mins drive from Gibraltar.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish rentals aren't always cheaper. My friend's neighbour from madrid is charging 200 euro per month more than anyone else in the block Then you have to consider if you can live with their naff furniture...not to mention their DIY
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Spanish rentals aren't always cheaper. My friend's neighbour from madrid is charging 200 euro per month more than anyone else in the block Then you have to consider if you can live with their naff furniture...not to mention their DIY
Your friend has naff furniture because they are Spanish?

That's funny. We always cringe at the thought of British sofas, carpets and curtains. And wallpaper with borders

To be fair, anyone under 35 nowadays has almost identical furniture no matter what country they are from. My Spanish friends homes look identical to my friends homes in London. All from Ikea or Habitat with the odd thing from an independent shop.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Think you should re-read what I said

Ever watched those place in the sun programmes? You can tell instantly which are spanish and which are British owned by the decor. Never been wrong yet! Huge cheap dark wood dressers filled with tat, curtains instead of cupboards in the kitchen, naff tiles (yes...NAFF), crosses or religious pictures over the beds, cheap sofas....and that is just the best parts
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Ever watched those place in the sun programmes? You can tell instantly which are spanish and which are British owned by the decor. Never been wrong yet! Huge cheap dark wood dressers filled with tat, curtains instead of cupboards in the kitchen, naff tiles (yes...NAFF), crosses or religious pictures over the beds, cheap sofas....and that is just the best parts
No I've never seen them. And I only watch Spanish TV, the rooms you are describing look nothing like that from the programmes I watch (and the people I know).

You are describing rooms from 30 years ago, or from people in their 60s or older. Many of the flats in the Costa del sol were bought as a holiday home for people in the cities back in the 70s, maybe they still have the original furniture in!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen those programmes too, and your observations are right in a lot of cases, but what I found worse were the French properties, much of the same as you describe about the Spanish ones, but with a lot more curtaining in the kitchen.
And losts of formica........
And a lot more open shelving, and we are lead to believe that the Frech are the kings of "chic"

And that all things French are more sophisticated than the rest of the world. Not on location location they are not.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS

And that all things French are more sophisticated than the rest of the world. Not on location location they are not.
I think the point is that where British buy are not the capitals of the Spanish or French cultural world.

They tend to be places where properties are cheap - or at least used to be cheap before the foreigners came. They also tend to be many miles away from where the well paid jobs are.

But I cannot believe that British people are the kings of interior design. British design is usually all flowerly and plump cusions and sofas and too many patterned fabrics that havent been cleaned recently.

However, as I was saying, design in a city flat nowadays is pretty much the same in London, Paris, Berlin or Madrid. Wooden floors, painted walls, plain fabrics, maybe a leather chair and quality kitchens and bathrooms (Ok the last two on the list are rare in London)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think the point is that where British buy are not the capitals of the Spanish or French cultural world.

They tend to be places where properties are cheap - or at least used to be cheap before the foreigners came. They also tend to be many miles away from where the well paid jobs are.

But I cannot believe that British people are the kings of interior design. British design is usually all flowerly and plump cusions and sofas and too many patterned fabrics that havent been cleaned recently.

However, as I was saying, design in a city flat nowadays is pretty much the same in London, Paris, Berlin or Madrid. Wooden floors, painted walls, plain fabrics, maybe a leather chair and quality kitchens and bathrooms (Ok the last two on the list are rare in London)
I agree about the flats, very samey all over, IKEA rules......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.