Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Gibraltar living in Spain

Working in Gibraltar living in Spain

Old Feb 11th 2020, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Steven McEwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Gibraltar living in Spain

Hi there. Anyone on here working in Gibraltar and living in Spain? Where do you stay and what is the commute like? What practicalities should I consider? I’d be looking to work shifts with police so travelling at all times of day. TIA
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Gibraltar living in Spain

Crossing to and fro can be a tad congested at times

https://www.frontierqueue.gi/frontiercamera.aspx

have a look at the live cameras. Won't get any easier now we've left the EU.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Do the police allow you to be resident in Spain?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

This morning on a trip down town I thought I would ask about residency, but I only saw two policemen, on motorbikes riding down the pedestian part of main street alongside each other having a chat.

However in todays paper there is arecruitment advert from which I have aquired the following information.
Q: Do I have to be resident in Gibraltar at the time of applying?
A: Applicants “on employment will be, resident in Gibraltar”. You are therefore not required to be resident at the point of submitting your application form however if you are successful, you must be in a position to take up residence in Gibraltar on commencement of training.

https://www.yourgibraltartv.com/soci...-open-evenings

https://www.police.gi/information/career-opportunities.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
This morning on a trip down town I thought I would ask about residency, but I only saw two policemen, on motorbikes riding down the pedestian part of main street alongside each other having a chat.

However in todays paper there is arecruitment advert from which I have aquired the following information.
Q: Do I have to be resident in Gibraltar at the time of applying?
A: Applicants “on employment will be, resident in Gibraltar”. You are therefore not required to be resident at the point of submitting your application form however if you are successful, you must be in a position to take up residence in Gibraltar on commencement of training.

https://www.yourgibraltartv.com/soci...-open-evenings

https://www.police.gi/information/career-opportunities.
Good point. Actually does make sense and imagine if there was some sort of crisis and your own police force couldn't cross the border.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Good point. Actually does make sense and imagine if there was some sort of crisis and your own police force couldn't cross the border.
Crisis what crisis?

Are the Spanish going to close the frontier again
Old Feb 12th 2020, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Crisis what crisis?

Are the Spanish going to close the frontier again
I just mean a crisis that can happen anywhere. Imagine if there was a political situation and half the police force can't enter Gibraltar.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I just mean a crisis that can happen anywhere. Imagine if there was a political situation and half the police force can't enter Gibraltar.
There's been a political situation between Gib and Spain since 1704

However the last time the frontier was closed if only for a few hours was when the guardia abandoned it to the control of Spanish fishermen.