Reload this Page >

Working in Gibraltar - advice needed

Working in Gibraltar - advice needed

Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

SarahE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in Gibraltar - advice needed

Hi JJ,

In regards to your son and school, he can still attend school in Gib, but non residents pay I think £1000 per term which is still less than some of the International schools.

If your wife was to get a position in one of the international schools in Spain then he would be able to attend at a discount or for free. She can get a list of international schools on http://www.marbellafamilyfun.com/ and most are always looking for good staff. She could try the Gibraltar system as well. They may need someone with Special Needs experience.

You don´t necessarily have to live all the way in Estepona. I lived there for a year and it is about 45 minutes commute factoring in traffic etc. There is Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, Torre Guardiaro, Sabanillas, Casares between Gib and Estepona. You would need a car though. Rent at the moment on a year contract for a two bedroom averages around 550 t0 750 euros dependent on what you want.

You can find places to rent in Gib for less than £1000. They tend to be more towards the town centre or up the Rock a bit, but you do get more for your money with Spain it seems. Not much room for pools in Gib I´m afraid. Keep in mind you don´t pay things like council tax.

Taxes on £30K is nothing for the first £7K, 20% for the next £10K and then 28% on the remainder so on average it works out to about 25% plus your SI which is a max of £120 per month and covers you and the family. You can transfer your health care over to Spain as well if you wish to.

Labour laws in Gib are based on the ones for the UK. Min 20 days holidays etc.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions let me know. I´ve worked in recruitment in Gibraltar for a good 3 years now so happy to help.

Sarah
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JJ,

In regards to your son and school, he can still attend school in Gib, but non residents pay I think £1000 per term which is still less than some of the International schools.

If your wife was to get a position in one of the international schools in Spain then he would be able to attend at a discount or for free. She can get a list of international schools on http://www.marbellafamilyfun.com/ and most are always looking for good staff. She could try the Gibraltar system as well. They may need someone with Special Needs experience.

You don´t necessarily have to live all the way in Estepona. I lived there for a year and it is about 45 minutes commute factoring in traffic etc. There is Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, Torre Guardiaro, Sabanillas, Casares between Gib and Estepona. You would need a car though. Rent at the moment on a year contract for a two bedroom averages around 550 t0 750 euros dependent on what you want.

You can find places to rent in Gib for less than £1000. They tend to be more towards the town centre or up the Rock a bit, but you do get more for your money with Spain it seems. Not much room for pools in Gib I´m afraid. Keep in mind you don´t pay things like council tax.

Taxes on £30K is nothing for the first £7K, 20% for the next £10K and then 28% on the remainder so on average it works out to about 25% plus your SI which is a max of £120 per month and covers you and the family. You can transfer your health care over to Spain as well if you wish to.

Labour laws in Gib are based on the ones for the UK. Min 20 days holidays etc.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions let me know. I´ve worked in recruitment in Gibraltar for a good 3 years now so happy to help.

Sarah
Sarah, you'll need to give me a new user name to continue posting, as the forum rules dont allow screen names that are businesses

Please contact admin by using the contact button at the bottom of the screen, give them your old name and the new one you want it changing to
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get family tax credits in Gib? if so it could make a huge difference so well worth looking into.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

SarahE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Can you get family tax credits in Gib? if so it could make a huge difference so well worth looking into.
You can get tax credits in Gibraltar through the old tax system. They have two systems in place at the moment. It really depends on how many credits you can apply for and a lot of them are dependent on you living in Gibraltar. For instance if you own property in Spain instead of Gibraltar it doesn´t count.

Most find that the new Gross Income Based system which I mentioned in my earlier post tends to be more beneficial. Some say they are trying to phase out the old system and therefore have not made any changes it to it thus making the GIB system more attractive.