Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Gib / living in Spain?

Working in Gib / living in Spain?

Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Gib / living in Spain?

My Husband and I are finally in the financial position to make a move to Spain and he is about to start looking into finding work. He is a software developer and so has been advised to try gaming companies in Gib and so this is where we shall start as it seems such jobs are few and far between in southern Spain - am I right?
Therefore, firstly, can anyone recommend a good website to start looking for such work as there are tons and tons and I don't know where to start.
Also, do you find that there are alot of queues getting in and out of Gib and if so then is it easy enough to park in La Linea and walk over each day - we have done this when visiting for afternoons and so do not know what its like at the start and end of the working day.
Also, what happens when you work in Gib but live in Spain tax wise? do we pay Gib or Spanish tax? I'm sure that if and when he finds a job that we will find this out but in the meantime if anyone can let us know any details that would be great!
Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Gib / living in Spain?

Originally Posted by emjharts
My Husband and I are finally in the financial position to make a move to Spain and he is about to start looking into finding work. He is a software developer and so has been advised to try gaming companies in Gib and so this is where we shall start as it seems such jobs are few and far between in southern Spain - am I right?
Therefore, firstly, can anyone recommend a good website to start looking for such work as there are tons and tons and I don't know where to start.
Also, do you find that there are alot of queues getting in and out of Gib and if so then is it easy enough to park in La Linea and walk over each day - we have done this when visiting for afternoons and so do not know what its like at the start and end of the working day.
Also, what happens when you work in Gib but live in Spain tax wise? do we pay Gib or Spanish tax? I'm sure that if and when he finds a job that we will find this out but in the meantime if anyone can let us know any details that would be great!
Thanks!
Sorry to be a pain, but ALL of these questions have been asked and answered before.

Have you taken a browse for answers already?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:15 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

You mention your husband is a software developer - well Spain like many European countries, is crying out for software developers - there is actually a shortage of good programmers. I hope he can get by in Spanish though
Try looking here :- http://dir.betabeers.com/ and here http://www.wiseri.com/ for recent vacancies in that field. The big job site is Infojobs.net and it's worth searching there too. I'm afraid a majority of jobs will be found in Madrid or Barcelona though. There are a couple of start-ups I've recently heard about who hail from Andalucia (Moodyo from Seville, Mobbitat from Cordoba) and are expanding, so they may be worth approaching.
The alternative is of course going freelance and touting for business on the likes of Odesk and RentaCoder. Then you can be based anywhere with a good internet connection; the problem is that initial jobs are at a low rate until you build up a rep (I believe) as the competition is open world-wide.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Steviedeluxe, helpful info, going to have a look into those.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

helenalou78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I actually work for a recruitment agency here in Gib, i personally work on the finance side, but my colleagues on the IT side deal with software developers. If your husband would like to send me a copy of his CV i would be more than happy to pass it on <snip>. We are busy at the moment and very few of our roles require Spanish as they all tend to be British companies. As for crossing the border it can be very busy, i live in Spain myself but within walking distance, but friends of mine that live further afield do tend to park in La Linea and walk over. Tax wise, if you work in Gib you pay Gib tax. Hope this helps a bit!

Last edited by Sue; Jan 12th 2012 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Best to share things like email addresses via PM