Reload this Page >

Working in Gib and living in Spain

Working in Gib and living in Spain

Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

dcowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Gib and living in Spain

Hi all,

I have read many of the great threads posted on here in regards to working in gib and living spain, however, as i am about to make the move in June this year i am looking for some extra advice and guidance.

I will be working in IT for a an online gambling company in Gib. My plan is to live in the estepona area, however i could be tempted to move slightly closer to Gib. Does anyone have some opinions/suggestions as where is best to live?

I am 23 years old, will be moving out to costa del by myself (looking to rent an apartment - fully furnished as i don't wan't to take everything with me). I am keen golfer and i am sure i will make many friends on the local golf courses! (of which there are many). I have been to the area many times before so i know my way around. I love the climate and the outdoor style life.

I am really keen to learn spanish so that i can interact with the locals and become more comfortable with living in Spain. I know that moving to spain could be considered a big step but i feel that i will be able to get home to scotland every 2 mnths or so.

If anyone has moved or is moving to the area and they can share any advice, i would be very thankful.

p.s - what's it like buying a car over there??
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Kat Oakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working in Gib and living in Spain

Originally Posted by dcowe
Hi all,

I have read many of the great threads posted on here in regards to working in gib and living spain, however, as i am about to make the move in June this year i am looking for some extra advice and guidance.

I will be working in IT for a an online gambling company in Gib. My plan is to live in the estepona area, however i could be tempted to move slightly closer to Gib. Does anyone have some opinions/suggestions as where is best to live?

I am 23 years old, will be moving out to costa del by myself (looking to rent an apartment - fully furnished as i don't wan't to take everything with me). I am keen golfer and i am sure i will make many friends on the local golf courses! (of which there are many). I have been to the area many times before so i know my way around. I love the climate and the outdoor style life.

I am really keen to learn spanish so that i can interact with the locals and become more comfortable with living in Spain. I know that moving to spain could be considered a big step but i feel that i will be able to get home to scotland every 2 mnths or so.

If anyone has moved or is moving to the area and they can share any advice, i would be very thankful.

p.s - what's it like buying a car over there??
A lot of people working in Gib live in the Duquesa area, which is just that much closer but personally I prefer Estepona. Another option is La Linea which would save on the parking issue for getting to Gib. Buying a car isnt that much of a problem but you will need an NIE. Re Spanish lessons, the rates per hour range from €20 - €40 euros but being more expensive doesnt necessarily mean better. Alternatively there are some free lessons (or extremely cheap) organised by the local councils and / or group lessons

which gaming company are you going to work for?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I have 2 friends who work for a gaming co in Gib and who live in Estepona. I also have other friends who live in Estepona but work in other areas. Lots of people who work in Gib use motorbikes as they are easy to get about in Gib with and get over the border much more quickly. Ryanair fly from Prestwick to Malaga but I don't know of anybody who flies from Scotland to Gibraltar. Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Brodev,

Thanks for the reply. It's great to hear that some people are making the same move and that i'm not the only one!! Are your friends enjoying work and life out in Estepona? I will be looking to buy a car and drive to the gib border and walk across from there.

Kat,

Thanks for the information on Duquesa. I have found a few property websites on the net and it looks a nice area. I don't mind the drive every morning so i think Estepona will be better for me. I am visting the area soon so i will check out a few towns along the coast.

Do you work in Gib?

Thanks for the advice on spanish lessons. Some of my family stay in Mallorca and speak fluent Spanish so i can test my new skills on them!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Brodev,

Thanks for the reply. It's great to hear that some people are making the same move and that i'm not the only one!! Are your friends enjoying work and life out in Estepona? I will be looking to buy a car and drive to the gib border and walk across from there.

Kat,

Thanks for the information on Duquesa. I have found a few property websites on the net and it looks a nice area. I don't mind the drive every morning so i think Estepona will be better for me. I am visting the area soon so i will check out a few towns along the coast.

Do you work in Gib?

Thanks for the advice on spanish lessons. Some of my family stay in Mallorca and speak fluent Spanish so i can test my new skills on them!
Hiya - I can recommend some agents to go through if you like for the rental - just let me know. I used to work in Gib, the last job at one of the online gaming companies but now work in Spain, which suits me better at the moment. We have a very good Spanish teacher (she is actually qualified to teach as well as being bi-lingual) who I would highly recommend - she is pretty flexible on times of lessons as I used to have them in the evenings when I worked in Gib and now have them in the mornings before work.

any other questions you may have feel free to ask - i made the move here in 2002 (but had been coming over for quite a few years previously on hols) so have learnt what pitfalls to overcome etc
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kat Oakley
Hiya - I can recommend some agents to go through if you like for the rental - just let me know. I used to work in Gib, the last job at one of the online gaming companies but now work in Spain, which suits me better at the moment. We have a very good Spanish teacher (she is actually qualified to teach as well as being bi-lingual) who I would highly recommend - she is pretty flexible on times of lessons as I used to have them in the evenings when I worked in Gib and now have them in the mornings before work.

any other questions you may have feel free to ask - i made the move here in 2002 (but had been coming over for quite a few years previously on hols) so have learnt what pitfalls to overcome etc
Kat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried to private message you, however, it said i wasn't allowed to! I have quite a few questions. I would appreciate the names of property agents and the spanish teacher.

questions;

Did you take your car with you or did you buy one over there? I will rely heavily on my car. Where do you get a NIE?

Is it best to get a spanish mobile phone? I take it my uk mobile will be costly to make and receive calls (i will be using skype to talk to friends and family most of the time)

Is it easy to get sky tv installed in costa del sol?

Is the traffic from estepona to gibraltar bad in the rush hour? Did you park in la linea and walk across the border?

I believe the Gib taxation laws have changed within the last 2 years? Is the percentage of tax similiar to UK now. I thought i saw that tax is now 25% until 50,000?

Whats the council tax like?

I guess my biggest concern is meeting new friends. I'm sure i will through golf and work but its always on my mind. My parents are worried about the loneliness factor ( even though i have lived away from home on my own for about 2 years).

My pay is going to be in euros, which i believe will be an advantage!!?

Do you every go back to the UK every so often? Was it easy enough to meet people? I take it there are lots of expats out their in a similiar situation. I would be planning to go back every 2/3mnths for a long weekend (wed-sun).

Where about in Spain do you stay? I kind of the like the idea of staying in an area thats a holiday hotspot (hence the idea of estepona). I will be heading out to estepona on saturday for a week to explore!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

Going through an estate agent is the most expensive way of getting a rental as the agents take the first month and then management fees. If your Co. provides temp accommodation I suggest you take it and get out there and ask among your workmates. Sometimes there are boards with ads on them in the workplace. A private rental is ALWAYS cheaper although it will only be for 11 months maximum at a time (legalities). In Estepona I would expect a rental for 1 bedroom of absolute minimum €400 arranged privately €600 upwards with an agent.
Where in Scotland are you from? Personally I'm a Glesga Keelie
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a tenant you will not be due council tax. If you take your car you will need to get it transferred on to Spanish plates(do a search on here). Most folk park in la Linea and walk over, road traffic not bad, border queue(for cars) can be nightmare. Getting Sky is easy but expensive, you may be lucky and get a rented house with Sky in it.
Don't know the answers to the rest
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brodev
As a tenant you will not be due council tax. If you take your car you will need to get it transferred on to Spanish plates(do a search on here). Most folk park in la Linea and walk over, road traffic not bad, border queue(for cars) can be nightmare. Getting Sky is easy but expensive, you may be lucky and get a rented house with Sky in it.
Don't know the answers to the rest
I go to Spain this Saturday for a week so i will be looking for rental properties. I will buy local english newspapers to search for rentals. I will also have a look at estate agents too to confirm the differences (private rental sounds good though).

I'm from the oil capital (Aberdeen) but i'm working near Glasgow at the moment.

I think that i will probably buy a car when i get over their to avoid the huge drive down. My parents will look after my car so i can use it when i go home for visits. My intention is to drive to the border (la linea) and walk across.

An apartment with sky sounds the best bet as i watch loads of football and golf!

Does anyone know the sunset times throughout the year in costa del sol? As a keen golfer i would like to play a few holes at night after work, as i do in Scotland. I know that it won't be light until 10.30pm!!

I have looked into golf memberships at Los Naranjos, La Quinta and Estepona. I will defiantely be joining a course at golf is a huge part of life! (especially golf in the sun and not in the snowy winters in aberdeen)
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Spain this Saturday for a week so i will be looking for rental properties. I will buy local english newspapers to search for rentals. I will also have a look at estate agents too to confirm the differences (private rental sounds good though).

I'm from the oil capital (Aberdeen) but i'm working near Glasgow at the moment.

I think that i will probably buy a car when i get over their to avoid the huge drive down. My parents will look after my car so i can use it when i go home for visits. My intention is to drive to the border (la linea) and walk across.

An apartment with sky sounds the best bet as i watch loads of football and golf!

Does anyone know the sunset times throughout the year in costa del sol? As a keen golfer i would like to play a few holes at night after work, as i do in Scotland. I know that it won't be light until 10.30pm!!

I have looked into golf memberships at Los Naranjos, La Quinta and Estepona. I will defiantely be joining a course at golf is a huge part of life! (especially golf in the sun and not in the snowy winters in aberdeen)
I understand that golf in Estopona is hugely expensive to join as a member. My brother in law lives in Estopona and is a very keen golfer as he used to be the Secretary at a large golf club back in the UK but now hardly ever places because of the expense. My OH is a member of Sherry Golf in Jerez which is much more reasonable and is able to play twice a week. Of course that would be a lot further to drive for you from Gib.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have a look at the private ads in Carrefour in Estepona there may be something there
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

eslebespanien is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dcowe,

interested to hear how you're getting on? I too will make the move from london to Gib in august and wondered if you have tips that you have learnt along the way.

my predicament is very similar to yours: lived in UK all my life; moving to live in spain and work in gib for gaming co.; want to know all info available about car, moving gear from my home in london, cost of living, etc.

hope your move is going well and be good to hear from anyone who can help.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eslebespanien
Hi dcowe,

interested to hear how you're getting on? I too will make the move from london to Gib in august and wondered if you have tips that you have learnt along the way.

my predicament is very similar to yours: lived in UK all my life; moving to live in spain and work in gib for gaming co.; want to know all info available about car, moving gear from my home in london, cost of living, etc.

hope your move is going well and be good to hear from anyone who can help.
Did you get the job first before deciding?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:30 am
Just Joined

eslebespanien is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, same company I work with in London
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Kat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried to private message you, however, it said i wasn't allowed to! I have quite a few questions. I would appreciate the names of property agents and the spanish teacher.

questions;

Did you take your car with you or did you buy one over there? I will rely heavily on my car. Where do you get a NIE?

Is it best to get a spanish mobile phone? I take it my uk mobile will be costly to make and receive calls (i will be using skype to talk to friends and family most of the time)

Is it easy to get sky tv installed in costa del sol?

Is the traffic from estepona to gibraltar bad in the rush hour? Did you park in la linea and walk across the border?

I believe the Gib taxation laws have changed within the last 2 years? Is the percentage of tax similiar to UK now. I thought i saw that tax is now 25% until 50,000?

Whats the council tax like?

I guess my biggest concern is meeting new friends. I'm sure i will through golf and work but its always on my mind. My parents are worried about the loneliness factor ( even though i have lived away from home on my own for about 2 years).

My pay is going to be in euros, which i believe will be an advantage!!?

Do you every go back to the UK every so often? Was it easy enough to meet people? I take it there are lots of expats out their in a similiar situation. I would be planning to go back every 2/3mnths for a long weekend (wed-sun).

Where about in Spain do you stay? I kind of the like the idea of staying in an area thats a holiday hotspot (hence the idea of estepona). I will be heading out to estepona on saturday for a week to explore!
Hi there DCowe - have you made the move? and have you decided on Estepona - do you still need your questions answering - sorry it has been some time since I logged in

good luck and enjoy

for the golfers - Casares is a very reasonable 9 hole course which also does a great menu del dia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.