Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Working in Gib?

Working in Gib?

Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Gib?

Originally Posted by jdr
As far as I can remember it was low tariff.
forgive me it had to be done

Toll prices Sleigh down all over the world at Xmas
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again guys,

The tip about the scooter seems a good one!

Do scooters get through the border more quickly?

Is the toll road a lot busier in summer? I was under the impression the toll road was under used because of the tolls.

Thanks again

el al
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:20 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Thanks again guys,

Is the toll road a lot busier in summer? I was under the impression the toll road was under used because of the tolls.

Thanks again

el al
Hi Lospacoshombre and welcome to the forum.

I did a quick search on Michelin and it says that it's 110 klm from Fuengirola to Gibraltar and tolls costs (at the moment) stand at €7.50 (so that would be €15 return - keep in mind that there is a toll card you can purchase for frequent users that has discounts). Also from our experience the tolls roads are usually empty as most people tend to use the parallel free roads. But in summer I am sure they are busier than winter.

Michelin driving directions and info here

Best of luck
Martha
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Thanks again guys,

Thanks again

el al
Scooters,Motorcycles & bicycles can all slide up the side of the cars and get through much quicker, much much quicker .....if you saw the car queue to get into Gib, it would make you turn around and go home sometimes.

As Mnm say's you can get a card which you affix to your windscreen & you go to one of the local banks for them, and they will charge you 12€uros for the privelige, then each month they will direct debit your bank account for how many times that you use the autovia.

The toll roads do get busy irrespective of what ever you hear, I used to live on the Costa del Sol for many years, at first when the Autovias opened they were empty, but not these days.
As the N340 is just a queue each day which is very slow moving, every few years they think up another scheme to speed the traffic flow up, the last one was the widening of the by- pass around Marbella, which just moves the bottleneck further down or up.

The latest scheme is one that has been argued about for many many years, and that is the tunnel under San Pedro which is now in progress, and will ease the traffic again, but for how long as more and more people come to live here.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
Scooters,Motorcycles & bicycles can all slide up the side of the cars and get through much quicker, much much quicker .....if you saw the car queue to get into Gib, it would make you turn around and go home sometimes.

As Mnm say's you can get a card which you affix to your windscreen & you go to one of the local banks for them, and they will charge you 12€uros for the privelige, then each month they will direct debit your bank account for how many times that you use the autovia.

The toll roads do get busy irrespective of what ever you hear, I used to live on the Costa del Sol for many years, at first when the Autovias opened they were empty, but not these days.
As the N340 is just a queue each day which is very slow moving, every few years they think up another scheme to speed the traffic flow up, the last one was the widening of the by- pass around Marbella, which just moves the bottleneck further down or up.

The latest scheme is one that has been argued about for many many years, and that is the tunnel under San Pedro which is now in progress, and will ease the traffic again, but for how long as more and more people come to live here.
New train line going that way from Fuengirola soon also.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
New train line going that way from Fuengirola soon also.
JDR,

Excellent, where will it start and where will it end at
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
JDR,

Excellent, where will it start and where will it end at
They have just put a new bridge in at Carvahal, so the line is supposed to run from Malaga to Marbella, but I reckon eventually Cadiz.
The work started two years ago for three weeks while they took away an old bridge
But then they decided to do a bit more, and put in a new bridge, tunnel through a mountain and all new tracks.
If I get any more info I will let you know.