Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

work permit UK (spanish resident)

work permit UK (spanish resident)

Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

OrlaLuis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work permit UK (spanish resident)

Hi,

I'm a Spanish resident (Bolivian national), my wife is Irish (we live in Barcelona), and I've been hired to work in the UK for 3 months. According to my employers with a Spanish residency I can work in the UK for a period of 6 months. The company that hired me will arrange my work permit. What I don't know is what do I have to declare at the airport once I arrive, because I won't have my papers yet. Do I have to show my contract?
I would be most grateful if you could help to clarify

Thanks a lot,

Luis
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work permit UK (spanish resident)

Taken from the Government web site, link below, so I guess the answer is no I'm afraid

Can I travel before my work permit has been issued?
No. You should not travel to the UK to start work before you get your work permit. If you arrive in the UK without a work permit to take up a job that needs one, you will be refused entry.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1018721068127

Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You may even have to return to Bolivia to apply for the work permit. ;-(
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:31 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
You may even have to return to Bolivia to apply for the work permit. ;-(
Wont it make a differnece as his wife is Irish I thought that the made it different.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that if a company in the UK (or anywhere in the EU for that matter) hired a non EU national to work for them, then they sorted out all the work permits, etc.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
I was under the impression that if a company in the UK (or anywhere in the EU for that matter) hired a non EU national to work for them, then they sorted out all the work permits, etc.
Yes they are doing that for him, but he said that the papers would not be done by the time he went there to take up the job, and it says specifically on the Gov site that if you have no permit then you will be refused entry.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Wont it make a differnece as his wife is Irish I thought that the made it different.
Only if his wife accompanies him to the UK, but as in his other thread apparently she can`t leave Spain.
Like MnM says his company should get all the paperwork sorted for him.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:57 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes they are doing that for him, but he said that the papers would not be done by the time he went there to take up the job, and it says specifically on the Gov site that if you have no permit then you will be refused entry.
Ooooppssssss yes, you're right Mitzy. I went back to the original post and read it properly this time.

I MUST stop speedreading posts
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

OrlaLuis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million to all for taking the time to advise me. It was really helpful.

Cheers