Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

work options in spain

work options in spain

Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

sirblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work options in spain

my wifew and myself are considering moving to spain, she is retired i work as a support worker with autistic adults, and not due to retire for another 9 years.

is there any chance of employment in spain with this profession?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work options in spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

It could be some problems with that proffesion, because you need a licence to work with people in Spain. Your education and / or professional licences must be translated into Spanish and then approved by the Spanish authorities. There are firms that only deal with such matters.
You can seek for jobs here.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirblue
my wifew and myself are considering moving to spain, she is retired i work as a support worker with autistic adults, and not due to retire for another 9 years.

is there any chance of employment in spain with this profession?
How good is your Spanish, I really suspect you would have to be fluent to stand any chance of a job. As is often said, Spain is a great place to live if you have money and no need to work, but better avoided if you need a job.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
How good is your Spanish, I really suspect you would have to be fluent to stand any chance of a job. As is often said, Spain is a great place to live if you have money and no need to work, but better avoided if you need a job.

thanks for the advice, i know little spanish, and hopefully will only need something part time to tide us over. but will have to reconsider this now.

hoping to find a small place for about £60,000. seems to be a lot of choice, but not rushing. heard a lot of scare stories about the legal issues,cost's etc.

but thanks again for your help
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

hi again, furthrt to the advice you gave, my wife and i are looking at maybe two to three years then taking the plunge, but i have decided to do some further research and hope you can help again.
i am on medication and wonder what the procedure is for getting repeat prescriptions, as i am on this for life.
local transport, which areas have the best for beach, airport and shops.
which areas are simplest for service charges , taxes etc.
what are medical insurance/car insurance costs like?

thanks again for any help. it is much appreciated, also if anyone wants a regular email buddy, would appreciate it, and maybe able to expand my spanish, ta.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Please be advised:

1. Take your old medication package to the pharmacy (Farmacia) and they will give you same or sometimes and equivalent. Depending on your circumstances, you may need to pay. Some medications are cheaper than prescription charge in England, many are not.
2. Transport links it would help if you gave us a clue where you are considering living? Note, links may well change in three years time.
3. I would suggest you should not base your choice of location on "service charges, taxes etc"
4. Medical insurance; Do you mean private or as employee / self employed? If you are fortunate enough to find employment contract insurance for you and yours would be free. Otherwise it will depend on your circumstances (e.g. existing medical conditions etc) and your options are discussed at length elsewhere on this forum. You can get a quote for private medical insurance here > Health Insurance in Spain - We Compare to Quote the Cheapest Prices...
5. Car insurance will depend on your location, car and driving record. You can get a quote on line here > https://www.lineadirecta.com/LDAWeb/home/HomeLDA.faces

Last edited by missile; Aug 16th 2014 at 11:08 am.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

thinking of the costa blanca area, seems the most reasonable from what little we have seen. a good mix of ex pats to watch the football with, some nice areas, good beaches.
i get free prescriptions in the UK because of my condition, and looking for an area where the weather is helpful to bad joints lol.

really appreciate the advice, thanks again.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I also had free scrips in UK, but because of the crisis here everyone pays for them, mine are minimal as a pensioner, but dont expect them to be free
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We know Costa Blanca well, if you have any specific questions?

You may be interested to know there are several local football clubs. They welcome playing and non playing members.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
We know Costa Blanca well, if you have any specific questions?

You may be interested to know there are several local football clubs. They welcome playing and non playing members.
think my playing days are well over . but would enjoy watching, really want to know about the climate, shops, areas, transport etc. any information would be gratefully recieved
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:14 am
Started off with nothing

Climate; you may find this link useful?
From my observation, I find it is a few degrees warmer in summer / cooler on winter evenings as you move away from the coast. It doesn't rain often but when it does it can be very heavy. Where it is greener you can expect to have more rainfall.
Many of the properties are not well insulated and can be very cold in winter.

Most of the towns are well served with shops.

Each of us have different requirements. I would suggest you need to think carefully what yours are. You may find work in your profession will be centred on the tertiary medical facilities and you may wish to be near to one of the hospitals. With your own medical history, you may want to be in a town close to a doctor and pharmacy rather than in a more remote location. You can use Google maps to zoom in and get a view of what an area looks like. There is no substitute for visiting and if you intend to stay 12 months you really need to view in every season. Established towns are busy all year, but some urbanisations can be ghost towns during winter. It would be wise to rent before you buy.

There is a very good public transport e.g. a bus travelling every 20 minutes on the N332 south from Alicante. There are fast rail links. There are airports at Alicante and San Javier (Murcia).

Last edited by missile; Aug 17th 2014 at 3:16 am.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Climate; you may find this link useful?
From my observation, I find it is a few degrees warmer in summer / cooler on winter evenings as you move away from the coast. It doesn't rain often but when it does it can be very heavy. Where it is greener you can expect to have more rainfall.
Many of the properties are not well insulated and can be very cold in winter.

Most of the towns are well served with shops.

Each of us have different requirements. I would suggest you need to think carefully what yours are. You may find work in your profession will be centred on the tertiary medical facilities and you may wish to be near to one of the hospitals. With your own medical history, you may want to be in a town close to a doctor and pharmacy rather than in a more remote location. You can use Google maps to zoom in and get a view of what an area looks like. There is no substitute for visiting and if you intend to stay 12 months you really need to view in every season. Established towns are busy all year, but some urbanisations can be ghost towns during winter. It would be wise to rent before you buy.

There is a very good public transport e.g. a bus travelling every 20 minutes on the N332 south from Alicante. There are fast rail links. There are airports at Alicante and San Javier (Murcia).

thanks for your help, but its looking like spain is not meant to be . was hoping for somewhere i could work PT, even bar work, to supplement our income, in a warm dry place, hopefully a pool. not bothered about the beach as long as it can be reached by bus/car. and shops locally, as well as some expats i could talk football etc with, while the girls chatted shopping and soaps.

will have to see what the next couple of years bring thanks again, you advice is really appreciated
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:27 pm
Started off with nothing

Don't give up on your dreams
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Don't give up on your dreams
give up? no, readjust? yes.

still want to, just being more realistic.

still reading the advice, and looking for the right place, and hoping things work out. and trying to learn the language sadly, not that well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.