Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Wishing to retire for 10 years to southern spain

Wishing to retire for 10 years to southern spain

Old May 28th 2019, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Maz1812 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wishing to retire for 10 years to southern spain

Hi. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Husband and I are thinking of retiring in 4 years time when I am 60. Plan to stay for around 10 years.
​Looking to move to murcia area. Although not definite on area. I don't plan on buying. Prefer to long term let/rent and move around maybe a year at a time. See how it goes. Obviously I will research where I am looking at with the 'tick list' and once the boxes are ticked and I find a place. Can I come over or do I need to apply to stay in Spain. I don't plan on working. But plan on doing some kind of voluntary work to meet people as I think hubby and I will kill each other if we are at home with only us all day.
Old May 28th 2019, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wishing to retire for 10 years to southern spain

Start learning Spanish now.
Old May 28th 2019, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz1812
Can I come over or do I need to apply to stay in Spain.
You don't say it, but are we to assume that you currently live in the UK and have British passports only?
If so, your guess is as good as anyone's. In four years time the UK might have left the EU and rejoined, it might have left and formed good relationships with member states, it might have left and alienated most of Europe, or it might not have left at all.

Learn Spanish anyway.
Old May 28th 2019, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Learning Spanish was first in the list. I was wondering how brexit would affect my choices. I am in Scotland.. If SNP have anything to do with it. We will remain part of EU.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Maz, I love your plan, I think its spot on. All too often people retire and buy a place in Spain then ten years later get ill, need to get back to the UK and find they have a property they can't sell. I sort of do what you plan, based in the UK and comfortably retired I get away for a few months of the year to different locations. It used to be mainly Spain but these days Greece and Cyprus are taking over. Airbnb has made life a lot easier for people like me who want a couple of weeks or a month in different places a few times a year. Good luck with your move.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is if you have belongings,moving around is quite an ordeal,or maybe you just want to live out of a suitcase.Long term rentals here are usually for one year although sometimes 3/4 months is described as that.I am at present in a rental as I am finalising the selling of my home & not sure where I shall go next due to Brexit.Maybe if Scotland gets independence some of us with Scottish ties can get back into the EU by that route as no one in UK seems to have a clue what is to happen next.
Old May 28th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

My plan is 10 years. I just wonder how easy it will be. I am sick of waking up in freezing cold weather. If I got somewhere with access to all amenities I would look to rent in same place for a few years at a time if available. I love travelling but I like a stable base. Only ever lived in 3 houses in my life. Family home. First flat. Current home. I plan on exploring Spain while I am there. I wish brexit would conclude so that people can get on with their life.
Old May 28th 2019, 3:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Be warned it can feel VERY cold in Spain during winter. Why Murcia city?
Old May 28th 2019, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Not necessarily murcia but around that area as my brother is retiring there in a few years and that's the are he is going to as a few of his friends are around that area and would like to be near him. And surely it doesn't hit as low as Scotland.
Old May 28th 2019, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Also. Am I right in thinking that if I was planning this Pre brexit I could go and live there indefinitely. But when brexit happens that is what is up in the air.
Old May 28th 2019, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Not very good with all these politics.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The insulation in many homes is very poor and I feel sure you brothers friends will confirm it can more to heat than in Scotland.

There are more than enough threads about Brexit, please enough already
Old May 28th 2019, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Sorry. I am a ate omer to the arty. 😂
Old May 29th 2019, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Maz is probably one of the honest posters that we get on the forum occasionally. There is nothing stopping herself and her husband not staying in the same area. When Maz gets to Spain her only concern will be her first rental. The second and subsequent rentals will be a doddle and probably cheaper. She made no secret of the fact that they will be renting for 10 years. Doing that they have options e.g. returning to the UK if they find Spain is not for them. Their main option is to rent out their house in the UK thereby easily paying any rental outlay in Spain.

I also agree that learning Spanish should be an enjoyable experience and only do what she can do and not get bogged down in the process. Let's face it, Spanish is probably one of the easiest languages to learn.
Old May 29th 2019, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly learn Spanish wile you are in the UK and keep an eye on the property market where your are thinking of renting but with your expected move 4 years away maybe it's a bit too far away to plan much more considering the current situation with UK/EU?.

Staying in the same place when you rent can be tricky as you are to a certain degree at the mercy of the landlord, if you have little in the way of possessions or you are fine with moving reasonably often then this won't bother you but it's not for everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.