Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Wiring electronic relays

Wiring electronic relays

Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring electronic relays

Firstly I know this is a particularly obscure subject so I won't go into the boring (to most of you) details.
I'm trying to wire up a relay to drive a motor and although I'm very new to the principles, I'm getting some success except a particular problem.
I won't go into any more detail as for most members (all?) it will be totally meaningless and irrelevant.
But, if anyone about there has experience of wiring a relay then I'd appreciate some advice please.
Either respond here and I'll PM you or just PM me and I'll explain more.
Thanks in advance.

Brian
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wiring electronic relays

Originally Posted by Biffta
Firstly I know this is a particularly obscure subject so I won't go into the boring (to most of you) details.
I'm trying to wire up a relay to drive a motor and although I'm very new to the principles, I'm getting some success except a particular problem.
I won't go into any more detail as for most members (all?) it will be totally meaningless and irrelevant.
But, if anyone about there has experience of wiring a relay then I'd appreciate some advice please.
Thanks in advance.

Brian
What's the problem Brian?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Thanks in advance.

Brian
normal relay

30 is the feed in via a fuse from the battery,
85 is the feed from the switch,
86 goes to earth,
87 is the power from relay to motor,
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
What's the problem Brian?
Firstly, thanks for the couple of replies so far and here goes it with the problem.
The mains relay I have has, amongst others, 2 connections A1 & A2 for the coil. When I connect a wire from the mains to these connections and operate the inline switch on the cable, as expected (and hoped for!) the relay contacts close. Switch off and the contacts open.
Now when I connect a light or a fan to the relay and switch on, again the contacts close and the units operate until switched off.
Now here's my problem! I want to go further and operate a fan by remote control. I have a mains powered remote control receiver, which when I connect its 230v output directly to a light or a small fan and switch on with the remote the items come on. Pressing off on the remote and they switch off.
However, when I connect the 230v output from the remote receiver unit to the A1 & A2 relay coil connections, the contacts go mad opening and closing rapidly until I switch off via the remote control This happens whether or not any load is connected to the relay.
To summarise then, connect to the relay coil and switch on via a inline cable switch and the contacts close. Switch on via the remote's mains output and the contacts go mad.
Anyone any idea why?
Thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, thanks for the couple of replies so far and here goes it with the problem.
The mains relay I have has, amongst others, 2 connections A1 & A2 for the coil. When I connect a wire from the mains to these connections and operate the inline switch on the cable, as expected (and hoped for!) the relay contacts close. Switch off and the contacts open.
Now when I connect a light or a fan to the relay and switch on, again the contacts close and the units operate until switched off.
Now here's my problem! I want to go further and operate a fan by remote control. I have a mains powered remote control receiver, which when I connect its 230v output directly to a light or a small fan and switch on with the remote the items come on. Pressing off on the remote and they switch off.
However, when I connect the 230v output from the remote receiver unit to the A1 & A2 relay coil connections, the contacts go mad opening and closing rapidly until I switch off via the remote control This happens whether or not any load is connected to the relay.
To summarise then, connect to the relay coil and switch on via a inline cable switch and the contacts close. Switch on via the remote's mains output and the contacts go mad.
Anyone any idea why?
Thanks.
I'm guessing the relay has a 230v coil, and the remote unit output is also 230v. Do you know the power rating of the relay and the power output from the remote control unit?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

However, when I connect the 230v output from the remote receiver unit to the A1 & A2 relay coil connections, the contacts go mad opening and closing rapidly
This is because:-

1) you are overloading the remote receiver

or

2) the wiring is wrong

Apart from the switching conections to the relay are you providing a supply for it to switch the light/fan on with??

Can you draw it or photo it?

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jul 21st 2013 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm guessing the relay has a 230v coil, and the remote unit output is also 230v. Do you know the power rating of the relay and the power output from the remote control unit?
All I can find out is that the relay is 100-230V with 1 NO contact 10A/250V AC and the remote control outputs 220-240v 300W. Why this causes the relay contacts to bounce uncontrollably is a mystery to me, but I'm sure there's a basic explanation somewhere! My initial thought was perhaps the remote control unit's output is pulsing on/off rapidly, causing the relay contacts to do the same. but directly connecting to a light or a small fan switches them on just fine, not on/off rapidly.
Also the relay is OK because as I said earlier connecting a mains cable and inline switch to the relay switches the contact on/off just fine.
Here is a link to the relay:-

http://tinyurl.com/l7hd859

Thanks very much
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
This is because:-

1) you are overloading the remote receiver

or

2) the wiring is wrong

Apart from the switching conections to the relay are you providing a supply for it to switch the light/fan on with??

Can you draw it or photo it?
Here a photo of the mains lead going into the remote receiver and the output going to the coil. If I switch on the contacts just bounce repeatedly, whether or not any load is connected to the other relay connections. When you say I'm overloading the remote receiver do you mean that relay is causing the overload?
Attached Thumbnails Wiring electronic relays-relay-002.jpg  
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

xxx

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jul 21st 2013 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Maybe wrong information
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:48 pm

All I can find out is that the relay is 100-230V with 1 NO contact 10A/250V AC and the remote control outputs 220-240v 300W. Why this causes the relay contacts to bounce uncontrollably is a mystery to me, but I'm sure there's a basic explanation somewhere! My initial thought was perhaps the remote control unit's output is pulsing on/off rapidly, causing the relay contacts to do the same. but directly connecting to a light or a small fan switches them on just fine, not on/off rapidly.
Also the relay is OK because as I said earlier connecting a mains cable and inline switch to the relay switches the contact on/off just fine.
Here is a link to the relay:-

http://tinyurl.com/l7hd859

Thanks very much
I would say you're overloading the relay with the power output from the remote unit. Is there a reason why you are trying to run through the relay?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would say you're overloading the relay with the power output from the remote unit. Is there a reason why you are trying to run through the relay?
Yes, because, although I know next to nothing about relays other than the online research I've done, the remote unit is primarily designed to remotely switch on a light bulb. As I want to use it to operate an electric motor I don't think it will be able carry the load, so my idea was that using a relay I could input power to the relay's coil which would close the contact and then be able to connect a high load via the relay's output connections.
But as I've found out, a direct wire from the mains to the relay closes the contact fine, but the output from the remote unit causes it to bounce rapidly.
I just can't see how the output from the remote unit which is only designed for a light bulb can be causing the contacts to go mad opening and closing!
I may have to abandon the project!
Thanks again.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:40 pm

Yes, because, although I know next to nothing about relays other than the online research I've done, the remote unit is primarily designed to remotely switch on a light bulb. As I want to use it to operate an electric motor I don't think it will be able carry the load, so my idea was that using a relay I could input power to the relay's coil which would close the contact and then be able to connect a high load via the relay's output connections.
But as I've found out, a direct wire from the mains to the relay closes the contact fine, but the output from the remote unit causes it to bounce rapidly.
I just can't see how the output from the remote unit which is only designed for a light bulb can be causing the contacts to go mad opening and closing!
I may have to abandon the project!
Thanks again.
Your electronic relay says it has a power consumption of 4-5W. Wire a lamp in series with the remote output and the relay coil and see if that stops the chattering.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

is the relay switching the +ve or the -ve ??

something is holding off the relay causing the chattering
as others say is it the load, 300w may be at the top end of the relay capability and it needs to be upgraded for higher current load.

as this is pcb mount relay the amount of current is always limited, which is why I prefer to use octal external of pcb.

can u provide any other info ??

ps - the chattering may be caused by the current inrush caused by the motor starting up which can be 2-3 times the normal running load

Last edited by Domino; Jul 21st 2013 at 1:42 pm. Reason: added ps
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your electronic relay says it has a power consumption of 4-5W. Wire a lamp in series with the remote output and the relay coil and see if that stops the chattering.
Will try that thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
is the relay switching the +ve or the -ve ??

something is holding off the relay causing the chattering
as others say is it the load, 300w may be at the top end of the relay capability and it needs to be upgraded for higher current load.

as this is pcb mount relay the amount of current is always limited, which is why I prefer to use octal external of pcb.

can u provide any other info ??

ps - the chattering may be caused by the current inrush caused by the motor starting up which can be 2-3 times the normal running load
Now you've lost me I'm afraid!
There are only 4 connections. A1 A2 for the coil input and M1 & M2 for the output. Don't know about +ve or -ve! Beyond my scope of knowledge.
As for the chattering "caused by the motor starting up...". Do you mean a motor in the relay? I didn't think there was a motor in there! If that's not what you mean, then I can't understand why the contact chattering happens when no load is attached to the relay and the only input is 230v to the coil from the remote sender which causes the contacts to go crazy, whereas a straight mains lead doesn't.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.