Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:42 am
  #106  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by Lionda View Post
They could call it the Common Sense Party
They won't tho, and nothing would be done. There is a massive % of people who would be in that category, and that would mean REAL political power.

Fortunately they are all too dumb to do anything to mitigate the abuse they suffer.
bil is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:43 am
  #107  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
There is the National Pensioners' Convention.

http://npcuk.org/

And many Pensioners continue to pay tax throughout their lives.

However, I agree that many people do take the attitude you mention.
Rich pensioners don't usually give a sh'it about the rest, and the vast bulk of pensioners are valueless as far as the gov't is concerned, except at vote time when the politicos will come round to lick the arse of every pensioner they can find, until the election is over and they can go back to ignoring them.
bil is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:49 am
  #108  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by bil View Post
Rich pensioners don't usually give a sh'it about the rest, and the vast bulk of pensioners are valueless as far as the gov't is concerned, except at vote time when the politicos will come round to lick the arse of every pensioner they can find, until the election is over and they can go back to ignoring them.

Excuse me, you don't need to be rich to pay tax, the threshold for over-65s is around £10k,you only need an income of more than that to pay tax, I would not call that rich.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...nal_allowances

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 19th 2011 at 10:54 am.
scampicat is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:24 pm
  #109  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 26,024
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
Excuse me, you don't need to be rich to pay tax, the threshold for over-65s is around £10k,you only need an income of more than that to pay tax, I would not call that rich.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...nal_allowances
I'm certainly not rich, and I pay tax on my pension, and I don't have savings, however I did work for years paying into a pension scheme, and for that I'm penalised by having to pay tax now I get the state pension.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:41 pm
  #110  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I'm certainly not rich, and I pay tax on my pension, and I don't have savings, however I did work for years paying into a pension scheme, and for that I'm penalised by having to pay tax now I get the state pension.
Just what I said, you don't have to be rich to pay tax if you are over 65. Just have an income of over £10k.
scampicat is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:21 pm
  #111  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 196
gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

one of the biggest problems with pensions is that a lot of us were well and truly conned. My husband never had the chance to belong to a company pension so took out a private one at the age of 22 years. We were promised £53,000 in cash and £350 per week. What did we get????? NO CASH and only £42 per week. This was with Legal and General. For 10 years I paid £76 per week to Allied Dunbar and I get a one off payment each year of £283. I do get £53 per month company pension but that was another £76 I paid in each month along with my employers contribution. We worked, we paid and got very little. We really thought we were going to be well off. Missed out on the WFA because we moved a couple of months early, missed out on being credited with contributions for the 2 years I had off when my children were born, don't get pension tax credit and because they lost 4 years of my contributions I don't even get a full pension and of course won't be entitled to the basic $140 pension when it starts.
gill556 is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:27 pm
  #112  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,573
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by licinius View Post
I've already accepted the fact (along with most others my age) that even if there is still a state pension when I retire it won't be worth having so yeah they may as well go ahead & scrap it sooner rather than later.

From October next year it becomes compulsary for all workers & employers to pay into a pension. With tax relief this equates to 8% of an individuals salary. the state pension can then be phased out without fuss, we'll still pay the same amount of NI but that can be watsed on something else instead.
Hopefully before you retire they will not change the goalposts as they have done in the past, whatever pot the monthly payments go into I will guarantee that it will be used for something else.
Do not count your chickens etc, many of us have heard this government crap before, somehow it often does not come to fruition. If you really believe what you have written then you have more faith than me.

Graham
Rosemary is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:47 pm
  #113  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alhaurin el Grande
Posts: 582
licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by jo-ann View Post
(SNIP)

And we did save for our retirement but the goal posts have moved faster than anyone could have expected, we both worked all of our lives and paid into the system and paid the maximum into private pensions that we could and now savings are disappearing rapidly, so please stop being such a snotty individual.
I pay into my pension but the pot is in decline & has been for 5 years now. That's life these things happen & I have to live with & deal with it. Maybe I should start a seperate rant that the government should pay into my pension fund in order to offset my own personal losses
licinius is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:53 pm
  #114  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
Excuse me, you don't need to be rich to pay tax, the threshold for over-65s is around £10k,you only need an income of more than that to pay tax, I would not call that rich.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...nal_allowances
No, not the same point. I meant that rich (ie with a lot more than the basic pension and a few tens income) don't usually give a sh'it. I didn't mean that paying tax made you rich.
bil is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:25 pm
  #115  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by bil View Post
No, not the same point. I meant that rich (ie with a lot more than the basic pension and a few tens income) don't usually give a sh'it. I didn't mean that paying tax made you rich.
Oh sorry, misunderstood!
scampicat is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:03 pm
  #116  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
Oh sorry, misunderstood!
No probs. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enuff!
bil is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:06 am
  #117  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 26,024
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by gill556 View Post
one of the biggest problems with pensions is that a lot of us were well and truly conned. My husband never had the chance to belong to a company pension so took out a private one at the age of 22 years. We were promised £53,000 in cash and £350 per week. What did we get????? NO CASH and only £42 per week. This was with Legal and General. For 10 years I paid £76 per week to Allied Dunbar and I get a one off payment each year of £283. I do get £53 per month company pension but that was another £76 I paid in each month along with my employers contribution. We worked, we paid and got very little. We really thought we were going to be well off. Missed out on the WFA because we moved a couple of months early, missed out on being credited with contributions for the 2 years I had off when my children were born, don't get pension tax credit and because they lost 4 years of my contributions I don't even get a full pension and of course won't be entitled to the basic $140 pension when it starts.
I was fortunate to be employed by the NHS, and at that time the NHS pension scheme was one of the best in the UK, and private pension providers wouldn't even talk to me once they realised, but a lot of people were persuaded to give up their NHS pensions in favour of a private onee, these are many of those classed as the missold pension people who got a lot of money back from the companies. Even with that there have been a couple of times when my pension has been frozen for a year 'because they didn't have the money for the increase' this year might be another as pensions are due to increase 5.2% in april
mikelincs is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:22 pm
  #118  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I was fortunate to be employed by the NHS, and at that time the NHS pension scheme was one of the best in the UK, and private pension providers wouldn't even talk to me once they realised, but a lot of people were persuaded to give up their NHS pensions in favour of a private onee, these are many of those classed as the missold pension people who got a lot of money back from the companies. Even with that there have been a couple of times when my pension has been frozen for a year 'because they didn't have the money for the increase' this year might be another as pensions are due to increase 5.2% in april
Private pension providers weren´t allowed to talk to you because once a fact sheet was taken and it was found that you were employed by NHS then it was known that you couldn´t do any better than to continue with this. I used to work for Prudential as an adviser and once was talking to a young woman about providing a pension for her. However, once I found out that she had applied to the Police Force I told her that she should wait as that pension would be far superior than anything we could provide. However, I know some advisers who would have just signed her up.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:14 pm
  #119  
BE Enthusiast
 
anna58's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tavira
Posts: 749
anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
I was fortunate to be employed by the NHS, and at that time the NHS pension scheme was one of the best in the UK, and private pension providers wouldn't even talk to me once they realised, but a lot of people were persuaded to give up their NHS pensions in favour of a private onee, these are many of those classed as the missold pension people who got a lot of money back from the companies. Even with that there have been a couple of times when my pension has been frozen for a year 'because they didn't have the money for the increase' this year might be another as pensions are due to increase 5.2% in april
The civil service pension scheme, along with many other government/local government pension schemes, have been given permission to take the issue of changing the RPI for CPI increases to court. It is a complicated case about misselling, for example if you bought back years you were buying on the basis of RPI increases. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

http://www.cspa.co.uk/
anna58 is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:31 am
  #120  
BE Forum Addict
 
megmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Near Alora....but not too near. :)
Posts: 1,646
megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by anna58 View Post
The civil service pension scheme, along with many other government/local government pension schemes, have been given permission to take the issue of changing the RPI for CPI increases to court. It is a complicated case about misselling, for example if you bought back years you were buying on the basis of RPI increases. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

http://www.cspa.co.uk/
Thanks for that link as I wasn't aware of what was happening, and as I get a Local Government pension and did in fact buy back years it could be very relevant to me.
It was bad enough that I lost 23% for retiring at sixty (on ill health) my official retirement age... rather than at the 65 they insisted it should be, then on top of that to find they downgraded increases to CPI.
megmet is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.