British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Will we look back in time, and say “we bought at the bottom in 2014”……… (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/will-we-look-back-time-say-%E2%80%9Cwe-bought-bottom-2014%E2%80%9D%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6-861198/)

wilsman77 Jul 3rd 2015 1:58 pm

Will we look back in time, and say “we bought at the bottom in 2014”………

! Spanish News Today - Further Evidence Of Price Stabilization In The Spanish Property Market

jonboy Jul 3rd 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Will we look back in time, and say “we bought at the bottom in 2014”………

The same paper says the

".....but in the Valencia region the rate of decrease is rather more significant at 5.8%."

So yes a bit more time and you may yet see a financial return, you may yet laugh all the way to the bank. Do not hold your breath!

Leper Jul 3rd 2015 9:50 pm

From my observations, nosiness, info I can trust from real estate agents there is no doubt that well located properties have risen by 2% to 3% on last years's prices. Property that is not well located has not risen in prices, but appears to have bottomed out.

If you are buying, perhaps now is the time? But, use your head! Keep away from property that will not make you a profit.

jogger Jul 3rd 2015 9:56 pm

We're moving over early next year, March. So looks like we have timed something right for once.

wilsman77 Jul 3rd 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 11691183)
From my observations, nosiness, info I can trust from real estate agents there is no doubt that well located properties have risen by 2% to 3% on last years's prices. Property that is not well located has not risen in prices, but appears to have bottomed out.

If you are buying, perhaps now is the time? But, use your head! Keep away from property that will not make you a profit.

"Keep away from property that will not make you a profit" what does that even mean?

Leper Jul 4th 2015 5:34 am

Originally Posted by wilsman77 (Post 11691193)
"Keep away from property that will not make you a profit" what does that even mean?

. . . another sentence that keeps Paddy ahead of the posse! And we're the wild Irish?

101wvd Jul 4th 2015 8:15 am

We are currently in Spain and it is quite evident that most properties will accept an offer which is well below the asking price. Looked at 8 yesterday, liked one but not enough to buy. Another day today to hopefully will see something we like.

Went to get some milk and water in Lidl's on the back to the villa and did a small comparison with some of the items we purchase in UK and to be honest did not see much different in the price other than a few pence here and there. Will be going to price our grocery list before the end of the week at one of the large supermarkets - not sure which one. We like Tesco's in UK so not sure which name over here would be similar or all they all similar?

wilsman77 Jul 4th 2015 9:14 am

Where about are you looking?

Moses2013 Jul 4th 2015 9:57 am

Bottom is a big word. A lot can change in the coming years and it could get even worse. We will see prices rise in some areas, but it can all happen again. We have to consider a lot of things, like climate change, job losses etc. Who knows.

casa del sol Jul 4th 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11691460)
Bottom is a big word. A lot can change in the coming years and it could get even worse. We will see prices rise in some areas, but it can all happen again. We have to consider a lot of things, like climate change, job losses etc. Who knows.

.....exchange rates, future of the eurozone, the uncertainty of the EU, Greek problems, including the UK referendum and all that could entail....lots of unknown unknowns......If you love Spain and are not buying to make a profit, are in it for the long-term, why not risk it, still lots to gain in the quality of life but also factor in other possible losses......two sides to everything.

Horlics Jul 4th 2015 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by 101wvd (Post 11691423)
We are currently in Spain and it is quite evident that most properties will accept an offer which is well below the asking price. Looked at 8 yesterday, liked one but not enough to buy. Another day today to hopefully will see something we like.

Went to get some milk and water in Lidl's on the back to the villa and did a small comparison with some of the items we purchase in UK and to be honest did not see much different in the price other than a few pence here and there. Will be going to price our grocery list before the end of the week at one of the large supermarkets - not sure which one. We like Tesco's in UK so not sure which name over here would be similar or all they all similar?

You'll find some chains stock more brands and items familiar to UK people than others, so which you find best is probably dependent on whether you want access to "international" products. If you do, Consum and Supercor are the ones to go for. If you are happy with brands you don't know, Mercadona is good. Shopping at Mercadona I find things quite a bit cheaper than the UK.

Masymas are everywhere where I live but the meat counter is gruesome (although as far as I know they've never been caught selling horses as bulls or cows, although if you like Tesco that won't bother you ;))

I try to support the small traders too. They can be surprisingly good value.

Horlics Jul 4th 2015 1:39 pm

Costa Blanca News today says 16 new estate agents have opened in Javea in the past year. I'd have thought the hundreds already there could more than cope with the demand but apparently not.

Horlics Jul 4th 2015 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by casa del sol (Post 11691495)
.....exchange rates, future of the eurozone, the uncertainty of the EU, Greek problems, including the UK referendum and all that could entail....lots of unknown unknowns......If you love Spain and are not buying to make a profit, are in it for the long-term, why not risk it, still lots to gain in the quality of life but also factor in other possible losses......two sides to everything.

I agree. Not in it for profit and have the cash... go for it. In it for profit... there are far better prospects around.

jonboy Jul 4th 2015 6:17 pm

Will we look back in time, and say “we Thought we bought at the bottom in 2014”..........

missile Jul 4th 2015 10:51 pm

Or maybe your kids will say at your wake, "what a shame pops didn't buy that house in Spain".