Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will Problem Changing UK Licence For Spanish Be Resolved?

Will Problem Changing UK Licence For Spanish Be Resolved?

Old Jul 6th 2021, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

woodbine66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will Problem Changing UK Licence For Spanish Be Resolved?

I'm a British citizen hoping to move to Spain next year on a Non Lucrative Visa. How likely is it that the problem of exchanging UK driving licences for a Spanish licences will be resolved? Are the respective governments actually trying to resolve the issue, and if yes, does anyone know approximate time to come up with a solution?

It seems strange that most EU countries will easily issue a licence in exchange for UK licence, but it's a big problem in Spain. I am reluctant to have to take tests in Spain, as I have both car and full motorbike licences in UK.

Any help and advice appreciated.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Problem Changing UK Licence For Spanish Be Resolved?

Originally Posted by woodbine66
I'm a British citizen hoping to move to Spain next year on a Non Lucrative Visa. How likely is it that the problem of exchanging UK driving licences for a Spanish licences will be resolved? Are the respective governments actually trying to resolve the issue, and if yes, does anyone know approximate time to come up with a solution?

It seems strange that most EU countries will easily issue a licence in exchange for UK licence, but it's a big problem in Spain. I am reluctant to have to take tests in Spain, as I have both car and full motorbike licences in UK.

No one knows. Nothing is certain in these times you just have to adapt and overcome. If I were to bet I’d say that at some point a deal will be done between the UK and Spain so that licences can be exchanged.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodbine66

There has been talk about changes being made and I believe France has introduced some changes but I wouldn't hold my breath as I imagine there will need to be various reciprocal arrangements made.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 10:13 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

It's funny, we had a long discussion on the future of Spain tonight while the others were watching the football. Our conclusion was that at some time Spain will allow people to remain here more than the 90 days currently allowed, and that the licence problem was solvable.

Remember though I live in a holiday home area where jobs are dependant on tourism

Davexf
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I generally lose bets on bad predictions but I would guess that as with all negotiations and diplomacy they will eventually reach an agreement, but only once they have pushed the illegals in to registering as residents to pay their dues. In the mean time for the unregistered the driving test will be necessary.
As for 90/180, I find this unlikely because of the tax implications. Maybe 120 or 150 in 365 could work, but not 180 in 365
Old Jul 7th 2021, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is pointless to try and predict these things unless you have some way of knowing what is happening behind the scenes etc. AFAIK there is no immediate attempt to solve this and remember one of the issues is that all EU residents in UK need to do a UK test. They cannot exchange licences and I think that has been the case for a while so I cant see Spain agreeing to allow something to happen that disadvantages their own nationals. I think sometimes us Brits can only see the picture from our own side and dont think about the other.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked for opinions on the likelihood. I would say it's likely at some point as you can still drive in the UK on an EU license, even as a UK resident, without exchanging it until you're 70, then it's a straight swap. You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from an EU country. - Exchange a foreign driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That link is based upon being a UK resident from the EU, if you change that to non UK resident with EU licence it says you cant change your licence but can drive on your eu licence for 12 months. The original post asked the question being non Spanish resident? As Chipmonk says I can't see Spain changing the law in Spain until the UK agrees to do the same for Spanish citizens.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Our conclusion was that at some time Spain will allow people to remain here more than the 90 days currently allowed
On what basis did you conclude that?

UK voluntarily left the EU so why would the EU make any exceptions for them.

Please have something better than 'Spain needs the money'!

Congrats on not watching boring football
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
That link is based upon being a UK resident from the EU, if you change that to non UK resident with EU licence it says you cant change your licence but can drive on your eu licence for 12 months. The original post asked the question being non Spanish resident? As Chipmonk says I can't see Spain changing the law in Spain until the UK agrees to do the same for Spanish citizens.
Yes, I got that. Pretty sure the OP was referring to exchanging the license when he gains residency under a non lucrative visa.
I understood Chipmonks comment to mean that he remembered one of the issues is that all EU residents in UK need to do a UK test to mean that he understood that all EU residents in UK need to do a UK test which is not the case. The link I posted was to show that the UK allow it the other way around so it's not disadvantaging Spanish nationals, or more accurately, Spanish residents with a Spanish license.
You can't get a UK license if you're not a resident and I'm fairly certain you can't get a Spanish license as a non resident.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
On what basis did you conclude that?

UK voluntarily left the EU so why would the EU make any exceptions for them.

Please have something better than 'Spain needs the money'!

Congrats on not watching boring football
Whilst it is true that UK left EU it is the case that EU nationals can be in UK 180 days so there could be room for a reciprocal agreement but I think that they must have considered all this during the WA hence the reason they say 90 days ( as it applies to all 3rd countries) . So all in all I cant imagine them ever changing this rule as it seems so pivotal.

I would say this : if you want to live in Spain you either do so without a car or you start learning Spanish ( at least to a A1 level- which is easy) then concentrate on vocab relevant to driving et and then start doing the test. If you cant do that then become a non- resident and visit twice a year for 3 months at a time, which to be honest, after a few years is all most people need.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanNico
Yes, I got that. Pretty sure the OP was referring to exchanging the license when he gains residency under a non lucrative visa.
I understood Chipmonks comment to mean that he remembered one of the issues is that all EU residents in UK need to do a UK test to mean that he understood that all EU residents in UK need to do a UK test which is not the case. The link I posted was to show that the UK allow it the other way around so it's not disadvantaging Spanish nationals, or more accurately, Spanish residents with a Spanish license.
You can't get a UK license if you're not a resident and I'm fairly certain you can't get a Spanish license as a non resident.
Why would a EU resident be doing a UK test? Surely you mean an EU national resident in UK ?
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Just looked at the conditions for EU nats resident in UK. They can use their EU licence for three years then they need to do test or when 70 it expires and test is needed. So if it is made reciprocal you would have 3 years to start preparing for Spanish test. This is fine for people who retire at 67. Get learning Spanish I say. It is the language of the country you want to live in after all.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
Having looked at the link again and gone through it as if an eu citizen it doesn't seem to have a time limit of requiring residency pre brexit date as it does to exchange from UK to spanish licence. In fact its quite vague really. So yes it would seem so long as one becomes UK resident they will still be able to exchange their licence in the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Why would a EU resident be doing a UK test? Surely you mean an EU national resident in UK ?
Yes, I assumed you meant the same as it was your quote....

Regarding the 3 years, no that's not the case. An EU national resident in the UK does not need to change their EU license to a UK license until they are 70, but if you're over 67 when you become resdient you get 3 years. So if you're 69 you have to change it 3 years later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.