Reload this Page >

Will be moving to Spain in around 4 years time

Will be moving to Spain in around 4 years time

Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:48 am
Proud Swansea Jack

swanseajack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will be moving to Spain in around 4 years time

This is the master plan.

Sell our house and use the equity to rent and live on. (we don't want the hassle of buying).

I will be 59 and my wife 55 when we intend emigrating.

We will have a few occupational pensions to supplement our savings and may well find part time work as well.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but are we mad to be doing this?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will be moving to Spain in around 4 years time

Originally Posted by swanseajack
This is the master plan.

Sell our house and use the equity to rent and live on. (we don't want the hassle of buying).

We will have a few occupational pensions to supplement our savings and may well find part time work as well.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but are we mad to be doing this?
I think you are certainly right to rent not buy I wish I had, as for the rest up to you depends life style etc and whether your pensions will support that not sure on the working bit from what I've read on here but suppose 4 years? to be honest I would put money on it not being much different from now looking at how things are but who knows.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:00 am
Proud Swansea Jack

Hi bobd22,

Thanks for the quick response.

We are looking to live a fairly frugal lifestyle to be honest.

We love the simpler things in life where we are now,walking,cycling,eating simply etc etc.

I have trolled through lots of longterm rental websites and there does seem to be a lot of properties.

We would like to rent close to Alicante Airport as the flights from Cardiff are cheap and frequent for any visitors.

Looking at a two bed house/appt and would love a garden or some outside space.

Again is this an unreasonable ambition for say around £400 pcm?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

This is the master plan.

As has been said on other threads regarding people taking early retirement and moving to Spain, do take into account the position you will be in regarding health care. If your NI contributions are up to date when you leave the UK you should be able to get up to 2 years' cover under the Spanish public health system by obtaining an S1 form from the DWP before you leave. Under the current system (and things are changing all the time as the new Government implements more and more austerity measures) you would not after that time be entitled to public health treatment but would need to pay for private medical insurance until you reach state retirement age (at that time you would need to get a new S1 and ask for your wife to be issued with one also as your dependant).

Obtaining private health insurance can be tricky if you have any pre-existing conditions, and even if you have insurance you would still need to pay the full cost of any medication you might be prescribed. Therefore, you need to factor this into your budget to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the future.

I don't know the Costa Blanca area but you would certainly be able to rent a 2 bedroom property in many areas of Andalucia for £400 per month (but maybe not in a coastal resort). Finding any kind of part time work is likely to be problematic, though, the general feeling is that unemployment over here is likely to go still higher than it is at present which is not good news for anybody.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:24 am
Proud Swansea Jack

Thanks Lynn,

The healthcare aspect is the biggest concern for me.

I have had 4 cancerous tumours in the last 8 years,this in fact has driven me to make the decision to emigrate.

What sort of ball park figures are we talking about here do you know?

I understand my existing condition would be uninsurable but I am hoping I would be clear of everything in 4 years time and hopefully in good health ( I generally am)

As for work I am very open minded, I do have an interest in computer repair and was thinking of perhaps doing something along those lines working from home...just the general stuff..removing viruses,installing programs,upgrading etc
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lynn,

I have had 4 cancerous tumours in the last 8 years,this in fact has driven me to make the decision to emigrate.

I understand my existing condition would be uninsurable but I am hoping I would be clear of everything in 4 years time and hopefully in good health ( I generally am)

As for work I am very open minded, I do have an interest in computer repair and was thinking of perhaps doing something along those lines working from home...just the general stuff..removing viruses,installing programs,upgrading etc
Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having, I hope you will indeed get the all clear.

I am insured with a company that only covers certain areas within Andalucia, so that wouldn't be any good to you, but you could try obtaining an online quote from some of the larger providers such as Sanitas or Mapfre to get some idea of costs. With regard to medication, I don't think anyone could tell you in advance as it would depend on what you might be prescribed. Some drugs are cheap to buy here and others can be very expensive indeed.

It will pay you to scrutinise the small print of any insurance policy very carefully. Sometimes companies can try to relate a condition you have been newly diagnosed with to the pre-existing condition you are not covered for, and refuse to pay out.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:40 am
Proud Swansea Jack

Great advice,many thanks Lynn.

I can see this forum being of great use to my wife and I over the coming months/years.

If there are any forum members from the Alicante area (we have been to Gran Alacant (twice) and Quesada) who have advice as to the best ways to rent etc we would be very grateful.

Somewhere within walking distance (30 mins) of the beach would be great
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lynn,

working self-employed (autónomo) might well be a deal breaker, too, sadly - autónomo NI payments are +/- 250€ a month..... you'd need to weigh up whether or not it was actually worth it - although if you were working & paying autónomo, both you & your wife would be covered as far as healthcare is concerened
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:51 am
Proud Swansea Jack

Hey lynnxa,

I was thinking cash in hand...lol

I do get the fact though that I would have to earn at least 250 euro to break even,as you say that really does need to be thought through very carefully.

Thanks again for the insight,this is a great forum!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey lynnxa,

I was thinking cash in hand...lol

I do get the fact though that I would have to earn at least 250 euro to break even,as you say that really does need to be thought through very carefully.

Thanks again for the insight,this is a great forum!
tut tut tut
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:03 am
Proud Swansea Jack

Would I be a bad gringo if in Spain?

(wink)
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

...If there are any forum members from the Alicante area (we have been to Gran Alacant (twice) and Quesada) who have advice as to the best ways to rent etc we would be very grateful....
We are very familiar with that area, having lived in Ciudad Quesada for 9 years. I do not like Gran Alicant, but each to their own.

It is a great plan, but one would need crystal balls to see what will be in 4 years time.

I don't think it will be so easy for you to find work repairing computers. There are several very good computer repair shops in the area and far too many Brits working illegally.

I would think carefully about relocating, if you have continuing problems?Medical facilities in spain are very good, but prohibitively expensive for those who do not qualify for free health care.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:49 am
Proud Swansea Jack

That's very true and pertinent missile.

My health issues do cloud the issue at the moment but I refuse to allow them to rule my life or any decision I may make in the future.

I do have a few years of good health ahead now hopefully to make our final decision as to when we leave (sunny???) Wales and fulfill our dream to emigrate.

Would you think 400 euro for a two bed house is reasonable?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:14 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
We are very familiar with that area, having lived in Ciudad Quesada for 9 years. I do not like Gran Alicant, but each to their own.

It is a great plan, but one would need crystal balls to see what will be in 4 years time.

I don't think it will be so easy for you to find work repairing computers. There are several very good computer repair shops in the area and far too many Brits working illegally.

I would think carefully about relocating, if you have continuing problems?Medical facilities in spain are very good, but prohibitively expensive for those who do not qualify for free health care.
Prescription charges might be pricey too.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:15 am
Proud Swansea Jack

As it happens I do take BP tablets but have found them cheap as chips online.

A generic version of what I have to take but apparently as good as!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.