Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WILL I LOSE MY HOUSE IN SPAIN

WILL I LOSE MY HOUSE IN SPAIN

Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

plumbber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WILL I LOSE MY HOUSE IN SPAIN

A friend of mine owns her apartment here in spain but cannot pay her bills, will she lose her apartment once she goes back to uk, can anyone help please
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:05 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WILL I LOSE MY HOUSE IN SPAIN

Depends if she has a mortgage. Assuming she hasnt, I suspect the bills will mount up, services will be cut and eventually they'll come after her for the money. At that point her apartment may be taken by the banks????? But I dont know for sure?

Can she not rent it out???

Jo xxx
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

plumbber is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks jo, looks like she will have to rent or sell cheap
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plumbber View Post
A friend of mine owns her apartment here in spain but cannot pay her bills, will she lose her apartment once she goes back to uk, can anyone help please
That's a very last resort. It will be non payment of council and govt taxes that will bring about that scenario, electric and water are not a prob as they will just be disconnected.
I assume they are going back to UK for financial security, in which case can they not put money into account here to cover those taxes?
Put it in the hands of an agent to rent is best option.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this. It's a really bad time to sell.
I think, but am not sure that the companies she owes money to can put a charge against the property if she sells it. But if she owns it outright it's unlikely they can force a sale. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong. Her best bet is to find a tenant. Maybe there are people here who want to rent reasonably cheaply. Maybe there is even someone who will pay the bills in lieu of rent??
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr View Post
Sorry to hear this. It's a really bad time to sell.
I think, but am not sure that the companies she owes money to can put a charge against the property if she sells it. But if she owns it outright it's unlikely they can force a sale. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong. Her best bet is to find a tenant. Maybe there are people here who want to rent reasonably cheaply. Maybe there is even someone who will pay the bills in lieu of rent??
The property arm of Cam bank is trying to sell loads of properties via estate agents in the UK, prices from as low as €60,000, they apparently have thousands on their books, they are all repossessions.
Old May 5th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

just wonderd if the house is anywhere near playa flamenca as my daughter lives their and i will be going over for a while and would like somethink to rent