Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Originally Posted by spainboy
I dont think there are many nice DSS welcome flats around, could be wrong or im looking in the wrong place so my intention for the moment is to rent a studio at say 315p.m with a private landlord.
As I said before I think finding accommodation will be your biggest worry.
The bottom line is if you are not in employment your going to struggle big time.
Council and Housing assoc will accept benefit but in your case you will not even be able to register and what stock they have left may not be dez rez as will be the case with private who do accept benefit.
I got forged work references but then they wanted to see bank statements of monthly income.
As has been said here, don't worry about benefits.
DO worry about accommodation.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

The answer I got from a couple of rental agencies was that without a recent credit rating they would need 6 months rent in advance and possibly a guarantor.

Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:59 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kay5151
quite honestly , you have been out of the UK for 13 years, why should we the uk tax payer , give you any money... Have you been paying tax in Spain ?..,, We talk about migrants coming here and getting everything, well you are just as bad.. When i left the Uk 10 years ago, i kept up paying my NHS stamp, and also tax on my savings here.... What makes you think, you can come back here and take something you have not paid into.. Try getting social security in Spain, after all, you must have been earning money there too live..
Wind your neck in girl
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

stephendutchman is on a distinguished road

were full !!no room at the inn .have you tried albania .
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe I was compared to a Migrant.
You will be, I'm afraid, people just see more people coming here from abroad for benefits, it's immaterial where they come or what nationality they are.
maybe I should throw away my british passport and have done with it.
You know you won't do that, there aren't too many places where you can legally get benefits like you can in UK.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I have been a UK landlady for many years and only take DHSS tenants as the only time I took a private tenant they never paid the rent and trashed the house. Most councils pay the rent direct to the landlord which makes the scheme attractive. try and find a landlord first and take a letter from them to the council stating the rent etc.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

If you want to know what your rights are I would recommend the Citizens Advice Bureau at least you know that they are on your side which is not always the case when you ask HMG organizations.

Jim
Old May 1st 2010, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
If you want to know what your rights are I would recommend the Citizens Advice Bureau at least you know that they are on your side which is not always the case when you ask HMG organizations.

Jim
I would agree with that they told me how to get a 16 pound , do it yourself, divorce 33 years ago.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Firstly to be considered for any DWP benefits you will have to PASS a HRT test (habitual residency test). If there is any doubt you will fail and then you have to go down the road of appeals which can be very lengthy and a total nightmare

You need a UK bank acc and youhave to be registered with a doc. I would adv all ties are cut from Spain, to show you have perm moved back to UK ie no Spanish bank accs, no property in Spain.......

If you pass the HRT you will be considered for Job Seekers Allowance (income based) which will then in turn qualify you for council tax and housing benefit. The level is determined by the council in that they have ceiling amounts dependant on your circumstances ie a single person allowance will be different from a family of 4. So on that you could phone the local council and ask them.

It can be difficult getting a place before you have a job so if you have enough money to support yourself for 6 months I would find a rental place and pay up front for 6 months rent, then make your application to DWP.

Anything over £6000 can affect your benefit

Working 16 hours or more is classed as full time so bear that in mind

Once you have full time then apply for working tax credits, you can do an assesment online so look up the HMRC website

Hope this helps, its sounds a bit negative but there are lots of people returning to Spain and going onto benefits before finding work so I do know it it possible

Good luck

I can imagine this subject may have been touched on a couple of times in the past on this forum, I cant seem to find one regarding the state of play and many experiences.
Im moving back to the uk next month after being in Spain for 13 years.I have a bit of savings, enough for 6 months rent on an apartment as ive a feeling this is what I will need having no previous english refrences and I havent paid into the system for a long time. of course main priority is finding work but that could take time, maybe 3 months or more but until then would I least get council tax help or any other help towards rent? Also what if I find a part time job for the meantime say 16-20 hrs a week.will I get some help?
I fully understand my entitlements maybe be different to someone who has lived in britain over the last 13 years but will they leave me to fend for myself because ive not paid NI for years?
Old May 1st 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Hi Spainboy

Regardless of what some of the comments here say you are just as much a UK Citizen as they are as it's surprisingly difficult to lose.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; May 1st 2010 at 5:05 pm.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Have been reading the case of Robin Swaddling which I think is similar to yours.

You can read about it here CAB could be useful here.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/cro/wrb/wrb155/habitual.htm

Jim
Old May 4th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

chris600uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for finding that out for me.
Have you any friends who will let you use their address as a c/o for a couple of months.
Then you could register with the doc there, and with the right "references" you could use that as your previous address when you make your claim.
After all, you must have a national insurance number and an NHS reference number somewhere, from when you were part of the system.
It can't be that difficult, many folk from places with funny sounding names come over and get benefit and accommodation with no trouble at all.
If you haven't got a UK bank account, try the post office, or a savings bank, anything to give you a toehold.

Don't worry about not having the same entitlement - if you pay into the NI system for 65 years, you'll still have the same basic entitlement as if you just arrived on the back of a truck, apart from that enormous old age pension.

Last edited by chris600uk; May 4th 2010 at 10:29 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old May 6th 2010, 5:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine this subject may have been touched on a couple of times in the past on this forum, I cant seem to find one regarding the state of play and many experiences.
Im moving back to the uk next month after being in Spain for 13 years.I have a bit of savings, enough for 6 months rent on an apartment as ive a feeling this is what I will need having no previous english refrences and I havent paid into the system for a long time. of course main priority is finding work but that could take time, maybe 3 months or more but until then would I least get council tax help or any other help towards rent? Also what if I find a part time job for the meantime say 16-20 hrs a week.will I get some help?
I fully understand my entitlements maybe be different to someone who has lived in britain over the last 13 years but will they leave me to fend for myself because ive not paid NI for years?
When we came back, we got housing and council tax benefit from day one, you just had to assure them you were permanently in the UK. You need to be able to tell them that you don't have money in Spanish banks, we didn't need to prove it but just signed a form to say we had closed our Spanish accounts, this is because housing and council tax benefits are means tested, you have to have less than 6,000 in savings. You will also be entitled to full NHS benefits from day 1, just go to the medical centre with your rental contract. You will have had an NHS number if you have ever been in the system, and they can find that out for you, or tell you how to do so.