Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I get absolutely no help when I move back to the uk?

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
someone in authority thats helpful? in spain? i think i just fell over in shock!!?!?!!?

well done to you for posting, thank you sally from the embassy in madrid
Must add that DWPinSpain is very helpful too, I won`t blow him a kiss though.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

kay5151 is an unknown quantity at this point

quite honestly , you have been out of the UK for 13 years, why should we the uk tax payer , give you any money... Have you been paying tax in Spain ?..,, We talk about migrants coming here and getting everything, well you are just as bad.. When i left the Uk 10 years ago, i kept up paying my NHS stamp, and also tax on my savings here.... What makes you think, you can come back here and take something you have not paid into.. Try getting social security in Spain, after all, you must have been earning money there too live..
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kay5151
quite honestly , you have been out of the UK for 13 years, why should we the uk tax payer , give you any money... Have you been paying tax in Spain ?..,, We talk about migrants coming here and getting everything, well you are just as bad.. When i left the Uk 10 years ago, i kept up paying my NHS stamp, and also tax on my savings here.... What makes you think, you can come back here and take something you have not paid into.. Try getting social security in Spain, after all, you must have been earning money there too live..
That's got nothing to do with you kay5151. It's not up to you to make up laws.

Let spainboy claim what he is entitled to in the UK. If you read his posts carefully you'll see he is moving back to the UK full time to get a job, so he is entitled to whatever support is available to help him on his way.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

pampasgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

If you cannot show any earnings, etc. you will have to pay six months rent in advance to rent a property.

I am just going through this procedure at the moment.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kay5151
Woo, hold on a minute Kay. Lets just get this right shall we.. I worked in the uk for years before I came out and never claimed one penny.I paid tax and national insurance contributions FOR YEARS and then when I moved away to Spain I worked for a couple of years as a holiday rep,which was under a uk contract and although I was living in Spain I WAS PAYING uk tax and uk national insurance.
Im not expecting to go back to the uk and bum off the state all of my life. If i cannot find a job straight away then what? you suggesting I should live on the streets? I probably have enough to get a very cheap studio for the time being and still saving so I can give what the landlord may want from me but I really need some sort of support just until any kind of work comes along.Im not talking about cash in my pocket but in a way council tax reduction or rent reduction. My main priority will be looking for work. I dont want cash handouts from anyone.!!!!
Try reading my post again,maybe a bit slower so you can understand.

I think your out of order.

Last edited by spainboy; Apr 29th 2010 at 4:33 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
Woo, hold on a minute Kay. Lets just get this right shall we.. I worked in the uk for years before I came out and never claimed one penny.I paid tax and national insurance contributions FOR YEARS and then when I moved away to Spain I worked for a couple of years as a holiday rep,which was under a uk contract and although I was living in Spain I WAS PAYING uk tax and uk national insurance.
Im not expecting to go back to the uk and bum off the state all of my life. If i cannot find a job straight away then what? you suggesting I should live on the streets? I probably have enough to get a very cheap studio for the time being and still saving so I can give what the landlord may want from me but I really need some sort of support just until any kind of work comes along.Im not talking about cash in my pocket but in a way council tax reduction or rent reduction. My main priority will be looking for work. I dont want cash handouts from anyone.!!!!

I think your out of order.
Good one, I hope it all goes well.

The point of this forum is to try and give help to some expats, some questions have no answer, ie where would I be better off/happier etc.

This question has an answer, ie the law of the land, which states that people looking for work in the UK, have help meanwhile they establish themselves and get on their feet.

Wether it be cash in hand or other indirect benfits, Spainboy has no more or less right to this help than established by law, so what is the problem.

Good luck, I hope it works out well, and i think that you are doing the right thing.

And its a bad do when the British cannot welcome one of their own
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Spainboy, how long ago did your UK rep contract expire ?

What my friend in the DSS has told me is that if you haven't paid in during the previous two years, they will look at the two years prior to that. If you have a full two years contributions you WILL be entitled to JSA. If you have no income at all you will very likely be entitled to Income Support.

If you have no income, you will be entitled to Council Tax Benefit, at the full rate, and Housing Benefit, at the full rate.

Good luck.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Thanks JLFS.
I can't believe I was compared to a Migrant. maybe I should throw away my british passport and have done with it.
There are a lot of people in my situation for various reasons and thousands returning to the uk every day. I hope she takes note of your post and then she might come on and say something a little more positive, but im sure I wont hold my breath on that one.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by savateur
Spainboy, how long ago did your UK rep contract expire ?

What my friend in the DSS has told me is that if you haven't paid in during the previous two years, they will look at the two years prior to that. If you have a full two years contributions you WILL be entitled to JSA. If you have no income at all you will very likely be entitled to Income Support.

If you have no income, you will be entitled to Council Tax , at the full rate, and Housing Benefit, at the full rate.

Good luck.
Going on 10 years ago savateur. Im not really intersted in income support,ie cash to be honest,basically more help on rent,council tax etc in regards to reduction until I find work. So as soon as I go back I should be entitled to council tax reduction even though ive not been back for 13yrs and until I get work??
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

He works for the DSS, not a local council, but he did look it up, and is as sure as he can be that you will get the help you need.

The main restrictions are; You dont have savings or assets worth more than £16,000.

You dont live with a close relative, ie Mother, Father, Sister etc.

Your not an asylum seeker, or being sponsored.

With regard to the £16000, they can't check outside the UK, as the UK opted out of the relevant deal. so "if it's in a Spanish bank leave it there". His word's, not mine !

Last edited by savateur; Apr 29th 2010 at 5:02 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Going on 10 years ago savateur. Im not really intersted in income support,ie cash to be honest,basically more help on rent,council tax etc in regards to reduction until I find work. So as soon as I go back I should be entitled to council tax reduction even though ive not been back for 13yrs and until I get work??
I dont know the ins and outs, but my missus temped for a while in the benefits office, she told me that you need to ask about the LHA, local housing allowance. (it is a newish thing, she still has friends who work there and they have mentioned it)

She says that each area has a differenct allowance, bsed on the needs of the person or faimily.

There is a maximum rent that they will pay, but of course if you go back to a more expensive part of the country the LHA is more.

I hope this makes sense, try googling and see what you come up with, at least you will know what to ask for when you get there.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much for finding that out for me.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont know the ins and outs, but my missus temped for a while in the benefits office, she told me that you need to ask about the LHA, local housing allowance. (it is a newish thing, she still has friends who work there and they have mentioned it)

She says that each area has a differenct allowance, bsed on the needs of the person or faimily.

There is a maximum rent that they will pay, but of course if you go back to a more expensive part of the country the LHA is more.

I hope this makes sense, try googling and see what you come up with, at least you will know what to ask for when you get there.
Noted.!!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:04 pm
Banned

Thanks very much for finding that out for me.
I forgot to mention that this is for private rented accommondation, which is what you are going for.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytax...me/dg_10018928
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loving all the info and it's definately taken a lot of the worry out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.