British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Wigan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/wigan-353717/)

billybassett Feb 8th 2006 10:38 am

Wigan
 
It seems from my perusals of this forum that there are quite a few "Wiganers" posting on a regular basis. Being a proud Wigan girl, I was wondering what it is that makes us want to leave our wonderful little town?

Is there a market for a little pie shop on the CDS I wonder? Or could our lovely Uncle Joes mint balls be exported? :)

Karen

helenp Feb 8th 2006 11:07 am

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by billybassett
It seems from my perusals of this forum that there are quite a few "Wiganers" posting on a regular basis. Being a proud Wigan girl, I was wondering what it is that makes us want to leave our wonderful little town?

Is there a market for a little pie shop on the CDS I wonder? Or could our lovely Uncle Joes mint balls be exported? :)

Karen

Not a 'wiganer' technically rather an adopted one (from Preston originally) Lancashire is beautiful especially the countryside its just the weather and the cost of living that gets you down.

Helenp

pwwm Feb 8th 2006 3:30 pm

Re: Wigan
 
I was born but not raised in Wigan but it is still my "home town" Off tomorrow to see all the Aunts and cousin's not been up there since moving here from Oxfordshire.
As far as I am concerned I when I was born there it was in Lancashire and remains so despite county boundary changes.
Will be stay five minutes from Mesnes Road. Bet you non Wiganers do not know how to pronounce that then!!! :rolleyes:

Soo looking forward to being there tomorrow, up the Latics and Warriors :D

kpw4v Feb 8th 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by pwwm
I was born but not raised in Wigan but it is still my "home town" Off tomorrow to see all the Aunts and cousin's not been up there since moving here from Oxfordshire.
As far as I am concerned I when I was born there it was in Lancashire and remains so despite county boundary changes.
Will be stay five minutes from Mesnes Road. Bet you non Wiganers do not know how to pronounce that then!!! :rolleyes:

Soo looking forward to being there tomorrow, up the Latics and Warriors :D

Pronounced "Maines" but spelled Mesnes

pwwm Feb 8th 2006 5:38 pm

Re: Wigan
 
I know :D but don't give it away it is always a challenge for outsiders to pronounce it correctly.

Cartmel Avenue just a stones throw away. :)

kpw4v Feb 8th 2006 5:45 pm

Re: Wigan
 
Just to come clean. I am Wigan born and bred, but have worked for many American companies and travelled the world as they say. Have lived in Wigan all my life (50 this year) and to be honest, could not imagine living anywhere else. Spain is nice for a holiday, but I could not live there.

Yes it is cold and sometimes wet, but we have good football in the winter, cricket in the summer and golf all year round.

All those Wiganers who may have left should have a look at us now. It is a vibrant, lively town with more green space than you can shake a stick at. And yes we still have Uncle Joes Mint Balls, had to mention that otherwise the MD of Uncle Joes would never forgive me.

Regards
Kevin

NicCol Feb 8th 2006 6:29 pm

Re: Wigan
 
All this talk about Uncle Joes mint balls and not one mention of the pier!!!

kpw4v Feb 8th 2006 6:34 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by NicCol
All this talk about Uncle Joes mint balls and not one mention of the pier!!!

Well if you insist. The area surrounding Wigan Pier is undergoing a massive multi million pound redevelopment with appartments, shops, offices and a theatre

Regards
Kevin

PS Just don't mention the pies

pwwm Feb 8th 2006 7:27 pm

Re: Wigan
 
Invalid toffee, ummmmm :D

NicCol Feb 8th 2006 7:27 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by kpw4v
Well if you insist. The area surrounding Wigan Pier is undergoing a massive multi million pound redevelopment with appartments, shops, offices and a theatre

Regards
Kevin

PS Just don't mention the pies


Hark at you! but do tell about the pies......

pwwm Feb 8th 2006 7:33 pm

Re: Wigan
 
So who remembers the old cotton mill? Ekersleys, not sure how to spell that I know I should but.........
The old covered market before the modernisation and my Aunt where I am going to tomorrow used to back onto the old football ground. Whenever I visit I see more changes, will be in Scholes Friday afternoon might visit the Warriors shop if it is open.
Hope it is sunny tomorrow :D

NicCol Feb 8th 2006 7:37 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by NicCol
Hark at you! but do tell about the pies......

Don't worry my husband has enlightened me, something about why do pies have holes in the top????

kpw4v Feb 8th 2006 9:48 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by NicCol
Don't worry my husband has enlightened me, something about why do pies have holes in the top????

So you can carry them like a 6 pack
K

kpw4v Feb 8th 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Wigan
 
PWWM

Eckersley's Mill is still there, a bit run down and the next one due for regeneration.

The Warriers Shop is near where the old ground used to be, now a Tesco, and still open

If you have not been back for a while, you are going to be amazed at the amount of building in the town centre for the Grand Arcade shopping centre.

Regards
Kevin

NicCol Feb 8th 2006 11:03 pm

Re: Wigan
 

Originally Posted by kpw4v
So you can carry them like a 6 pack
K

glad you said that! (and not me)


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.