Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Widows Pension Rights

Widows Pension Rights

Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future
Default Widows Pension Rights

Thought this might be a place to start to see if I can get an answer to a question a friend has asked (they won't use technology if they can help it).

The wife is now 74 and the husband 76 and they are getting concerned as he is having health problems. The wife, although she worked in the UK until the husband took early retirement at 51, only ever paid the "married woman's" stamp. This meant she did not get a pension in her own right. Once she/he was old enough (don't know what age this was) she began to get a small state pension based on his contributions. He knows that if he dies first she will get a portion of his "company" pension but what happens about the state pension? Does she only get what she is currently receiving or will she get a "Widows" pension, for want of a better word, meaning she will receive some of his pension transferred to her. They are getting worried as if she only receives what state pension she is getting now, plus the greatly reduced sum from his company one, she will probably not be able to manage.

Many thanks, in advance, for any guidance you can give me.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Widows Pension Rights

I have sent you a PM.

Rosemary
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have sent you a PM.

Rosemary
Rosemary... It may be of help both now and in the future to other members here if you were to make what you know of these matters public.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Rosemary... It may be of help both now and in the future to other members here if you were to make what you know of these matters public.
I will post my experience later - have to get the kids up now!!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:51 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

AFASIK she will get 100% State Pension once her husband dies.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

In light of Rosemary's recent loss and the fact she may not wish to give personal financial business out on a public website I think it was insensitive of you to post that. I hope Rosemary is not upset by your post. I may well have been in the awful days after my husbands death.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Thank you for your private message Rosemary, I have PM'd you.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

This is what directgov. site says

"What happens to your State Pension when you die

If your spouse or civil partner is over State Pension age when you die, they should contact the Pension Service to check what they can claim. They may be able to increase their basic State Pension by using your qualifying years if they don’t already get the full amount.

If they are under State Pension age when you die any State Pension based on your qualifying years will be included when they claim their own State Pension. For this to happen they can’t have remarried or formed a new civil partnership by the time they reach State Pension age".

There is also more information on Bereavement Benefit and Bereavement Allowance and a phone call to the Department could give them more helpful information.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This link and others state a woman who,s husband dies who has not got a full pension in her own rights can claim up to 60% of her husbands contributions for pension purposes. http://www.savvywoman.co.uk/c7-pages...php?art_id=202
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
In light of Rosemary's recent loss and the fact she may not wish to give personal financial business out on a public website I think it was insensitive of you to post that. I hope Rosemary is not upset by your post. I may well have been in the awful days after my husbands death.
I do not see anything insensitive in asking Rosemary to share knowledge of the system....at no time did I ask her to share her private finances, just to be of help to those who do/may need that help in knowing how things work.

You and Rosemary are not the only ones who have suffered a recent loss, you might like to take a look in the mirror when it comes to insensitive, a private message might have been better!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 7:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see anything insensitive in asking Rosemary to share knowledge of the system....at no time did I ask her to share her private finances, just to be of help to those who do/may need that help in knowing how things work.

You and Rosemary are not the only ones who have suffered a recent loss, you might like to take a look in the mirror when it comes to insensitive, a private message might have been better!
As it happens I did a PM because I was sharing financial information which I was not prepared to put on the open forum. As you know I always help others whenever it is possible whether this is on the open forum or by PM.

Each individual will have a different work history so they should always contact the Pension Service in order to find out their own personal situation.

Rosemary
Old Dec 1st 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that all of the above re:claiming husbands proportional part of pension and widows pension was only entitled if you live in uk.
I believed that once you are outside UK you are just left with what you were already entitled to before husbands/partners demise.

any one out there who can shed some light on this?
Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
I thought that all of the above re:claiming husbands proportional part of pension and widows pension was only entitled if you live in uk.
I believed that once you are outside UK you are just left with what you were already entitled to before husbands/partners demise.

any one out there who can shed some light on this?
You are entitled to the basic state pension and then they appear to take some of your working time and some of your husbands working time into consideration. There is nothing automatic about it, there is a delay whilst they sort out your entitlement. I contacted the office when my husband died, they were fully aware of where we live, when you telephone they ask your address etc and you stay on your own normal pension until they have decided on what you will receive which takes months.

Rosemary
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
First of all I am sure Meg is one of the last to be "insensitive" in such matters.

Regrettably it is mostly those who have had the (recent) experience who can answer with knowledge and authority on such matters. But we all have an interest in as much (non-personal) information as possible - especially as we are essentially living in a foreign land.

As a "mere male" I am sitting on the outside of this taking interest, partly because I want to ensure my BH will be adequately provided for, but also because I am sure there are men out there also wondering what will happen if they should be the one left.

kind regards
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for that information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.