Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why are Spanish businesses e-mail shy?

Why are Spanish businesses e-mail shy?

Old May 13th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of
Default Why are Spanish businesses e-mail shy?

I wondered if anyone had any ideas about why Spanish businesses are shy of using email. I have emailed RENFE seven times with questions I needed answering on journeys - never a reply. Mind you, getting RENFE to answer the telephone is a major achievement! The same goes for Endesa (they don't even answer letters the ignorant, arrogant pieces of detritus), Iberia, Corte Ingles, Carrefour Espana etc. My central heating oil supplier was equally shy until I told them that if you don't answer my emails you don't get my business. They now answer them, and even send me a Christmas card!

Tourist offices are brilliant, they answer usually within 24 hours and the information is spot-on.

Why don't the others?
Old May 13th 2011, 10:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Spanish businesses e-mail shy?

Ive given up emailing Spanish businesses about anything ... I hardly ever get a reply, and if I do it can be about 2 weeks later
Old May 13th 2011, 10:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe because they like to "talk" not write. No experience with e-mailing companies so was unaware that this was a problem with them. A friend of ours works for a builders suppliers and they use e-mails to customers all of the time.

It is so annoying when you do not get a response from someone especially when you know that a short precise answer will only take minutes.

Rosemary
Old May 13th 2011, 11:08 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Mitzyboy. I've lost count of the number of emails I've sent businesses, ayuntamientos, govt organisations here over the years, never to receive a reply. I don't know why they bother to have email addresses.

My partner runs a (supposedly) e-commerce business here, with all the facilities for emailing, online forms, buying on line etc etc and yet the majority of his Spanish customers still prefer to pick up the phone and talk in person to someone. They also prefer to pay via bank transfer rather than eg PayPal.

I can only assume that, in general, the Spanish are still internet suspicious.

Last edited by Hillybilly; May 13th 2011 at 11:09 am. Reason: sp
Old May 13th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Now you know why so many private sector business`s are on their *rse and dont trade outside of Spain , they still think it`s 1920
Old May 13th 2011, 12:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Not only are they email shy, they are fax shy as well:

If you have ever had to send a fax to anyone, especially the gov, although a fax would be accepted, they prefer you to take it in in person.

I have oftenargued about this, as it is often more convenient to fax somthing.

I have been told that, if a fax is sent it might not get there

I think the real reason is that if you send a fax you will have proof of sending, wheras if you bring a paper in and hand it over, then it is your word against theirs, and of course you will be in the wrong.

I do know someone who laid out all the papers on the des and took a photo, showing the papers and a bit of the office, after handing in papers on a few occasions only to be told that he hadnt done so, he got totally peed of and took evidence.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I wondered if anyone had any ideas about why Spanish businesses are shy of using email.
Easy one......the written word can't be denied (although they will also claim that documents are fake when it suits).

Verbal - everything can be denied. The spanish make a living from talking complete bo**ox. Any opportunity to cheat, steal or lie, they will do it. It's a bit of fun afterall.

I rarely bother communicating verbally with them. I use certificated letters and Burofax (preferred). Always get a result.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I had brilliant service from the spare parts supplier listed in the manual for my washing machine (a company whose Head Office is in Zaragoza). I emailed them when the glass in my washing machine door inexplicably shattered when the machine was not in use, they replied almost immediately to confirm that they could supply a spare, supplied fitting instructions, and that I could either collect the part from their depot near Malaga or have it delivered to my door by courier for an extra 6€, and it would be cash on delivery so I did not have to pay anything up front. It duly arrived within a couple of days and they didn't even ask for a deposit or credit card details.

I also communicate with my health insurance company mainly by email, and again they always deal with my queries very promptly and efficiently.

So there are some examples of good practice out there, although they may be few and far between!
Old May 13th 2011, 6:57 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the lass in that comic functionario vid had the right idea.

Looks like she'd been there before.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

i do all my communicatin with the bank via email - and they are very responsive. My Bank Manager replies normally within the hour if he at his desk - it is very rare that i do not get a reply the same day
Old May 14th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Not only are they email shy, they are fax shy as well:

If you have ever had to send a fax to anyone, especially the gov, although a fax would be accepted, they prefer you to take it in in person.

I have oftenargued about this, as it is often more convenient to fax somthing.

I have been told that, if a fax is sent it might not get there

I think the real reason is that if you send a fax you will have proof of sending, wheras if you bring a paper in and hand it over, then it is your word against theirs, and of course you will be in the wrong.

I do know someone who laid out all the papers on the des and took a photo, showing the papers and a bit of the office, after handing in papers on a few occasions only to be told that he hadnt done so, he got totally peed of and took evidence.
Yep ,spot on , you must always send everything offical by recorded mail or it will always be filed under B.I.N if it means someone doing some work!This includeds the police / GC.
Old May 14th 2011, 11:03 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve just sent an e-mail to Carrefour, fingers crossed!
Old May 14th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

dont think it any different to UK, we must be lucky living in a remotish place, always get replies from electric company, Ayuntamiento or others, only ones dont reply are companies from UK.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I wondered if anyone had any ideas about why Spanish businesses are shy of using email. I have emailed RENFE seven times with questions I needed answering on journeys - never a reply. Mind you, getting RENFE to answer the telephone is a major achievement! The same goes for Endesa (they don't even answer letters the ignorant, arrogant pieces of detritus), Iberia, Corte Ingles, Carrefour Espana etc. My central heating oil supplier was equally shy until I told them that if you don't answer my emails you don't get my business. They now answer them, and even send me a Christmas card!

Tourist offices are brilliant, they answer usually within 24 hours and the information is spot-on.

Why don't the others?
The main reason is that the internet culture in Spain is ages behind UK or USA. You can receive a quick answer in the cities but in smaller places it can be exasperating!!
Old May 18th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Hi , not been on here for a while, how is everyone?

Ok, the Spanish are behind (with respect) many northern European businesses and email, and responding to internet enquiries are a new thing to them and in some cases the internet is still powered by "magic". (!). They prefer to deal face to face, simple as that and i dont think they take email as being credible.

Give 'em time, they'll come around to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.