Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by Domino
he's just a GDY
paid too much and over here

no time for someone who can take £1m a year to lose so many games played with so little intent of winning
he is part of what is wrong with English Football.

Its probably his fault that Lamb is so expensive in Spain, where I don't think they breed much of the stuff so have to import it.
from France ??
Well looking at the size of the lamb chops here, if you can find them on your plate that is, I doubt very much they come from the UK.
Even the UK chops are nothing like they used to be, as they have been repeatedly downsized since we got involved with European requirements.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well looking at the size of the lamb chops here, if you can find them on your plate that is, I doubt very much they come from the UK.
I have never understood why Spanish lamb chops are so scrawny - you need about 10 for a decent meal!

The other odd thing is that all you ever see for sale seems to be legs, shoulders and little chops. What happens to the chump chops, Barnsley chops and the breast?

Perhaps Spanish lambs have been genetically modified to have just arms and legs held together with a few ribs!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have never understood why Spanish lamb chops are so scrawny - you need about 10 for a decent meal!

The other odd thing is that all you ever see for sale seems to be legs, shoulders and little chops. What happens to the chump chops, Barnsley chops and the breast?

Perhaps Spanish lambs have been genetically modified to have just arms and legs held together with a few ribs!
perhaps those are the bits that go into a McDonalds burger to give it that "unique" taste ?

sri for the cross thread, just couldn't resist
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting with a local shepherd who told me they knock them on the head at 6 wks old, so there can't be much in the way of decent cuts on them at that age.

If you've seen the price of sheep cheese that explains why a lot of the lambs aren't kept around for very long.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Barnsley chops
Please don´t mention these, I used to go to a restaurant in Chapeltown just outside Barnsley, You were served the Barnsly chop on a large steak plate and veggies were served on a second steak plate. The chop used to overhang the plate, so it was about a foot long and roughly 6-8 inches high now I cannot imagine how I ate so much at one sitting.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:37 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Please don´t mention these, I used to go to a restaurant in Chapeltown just outside Barnsley, You were served the Barnsly chop on a large steak plate and veggies were served on a second steak plate. The chop used to overhang the plate, so it was about a foot long and roughly 6-8 inches high now I cannot imagine how I ate so much at one sitting.

Graham
I think we have been there when we were up for a wedding. I didn't have it but OH did and I had a taste, came with a mustard sauce. There was also jersey potatoes and fresh mint
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Being an ex-shepherd & having worked in UK agriculture 30 years, I guess there's no easy answer. Custom, perhaps. They don't go in for many roast joints; the meat is also butchered differently, known as the seam method, which the Meat & Livestock Commission tried to encourage in the UK, with little success.

Fresh UK lamb isn't cheap though.
Here in Spain, lamb is more a delicacy & is slaughtered at a much smaller weight than in UK; here, a whole carcass weighs around 6-10kg. (UK around 18kg)

They like "cordero lechal" here, which is lamb fed basically milk & little else. Very expensive.
Most ewes here in the Basque country are milked to make cheese, such as "Idiazabal", as good/better than Manchego!!

Hope that goes some way to answer your question.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think we have been there when we were up for a wedding. I didn't have it but OH did and I had a taste, came with a mustard sauce. There was also jersey potatoes and fresh mint
Please stop you are just making it worse.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Most ewes here in the Basque country are milked to make cheese, such as "Idiazabal", as good/better than Manchego!!
I really enjoy the Spanish cheeses I will see if I can buy it locally.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:46 am

Being an ex-shepherd & having worked in UK agriculture 30 years, I guess there's no easy answer. Custom, perhaps. They don't go in for many roast joints; the meat is also butchered differently, known as the seam method, which the Meat & Livestock Commission tried to encourage in the UK, with little success.

Fresh UK lamb isn't cheap though.
Here in Spain, lamb is more a delicacy & is slaughtered at a much smaller weight than in UK; here, a whole carcass weighs around 6-10kg. (UK around 18kg)

They like "cordero lechal" here, which is lamb fed basically milk & little else. Very expensive.

Hope that goes some way to answer your question.

A very warm welcome to you from BE it is good to have more people from the northern areas of Spain and can give us all a more balanced perspective of our chosen country

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of the Spain forum, they are very pertinent and make sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of the forum's index in bold font.

Please contact us if we can give you any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:55 am

Red face Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Wouldn't Lambs liver and onions be nice?

Far better than pork liver, and cows liver, well that's absolutely cr4p.
Sorry to do this to you but Rosemary arrived back from Mercadonas with a half kilo of lambs liver so tomorrow it will be liver and onions on a bocadillo.
Sorry.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I'd be more than happy with New Zealand lamb, why don't they send it to Spain it's no further than the UK is it?

I've heard that Goat tastes like lamb, I must be honest, some of the skinny legs I have seen on sale here could well be Goat for all I know.

I haven't been in the UK for years so maybe the prices here are comparable now. I am always comparing the prices to what they were when I left, that's a bad habit I have.
goat meat is quite lean & so can be dry
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
A very warm welcome to you from BE it is good to have more people from the northern areas of Spain and can give us all a more balanced perspective of our chosen country

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of the Spain forum, they are very pertinent and make sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of the forum's index in bold font.

Please contact us if we can give you any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
That's most kind & helpful.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:56 am
On the road again.

goat meat is quite lean & so can be dry
Try kid, luvly jubbly.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:08 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

In Eroski lamb is presently 6.49€ a kilo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.