Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 8:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I doubt when eating curries or anything with highly spiced strongly flavoured Indian type sauces that you could tell for sure if you were eating cat meat, rat meat or even camel meat.

Used to be a restaurant guy we nicknamed Mr Tandoori, who came along every week to a local gypo,fell of a wagon, type of market every week and bid for and bought for next to nothing any sort of scraggy creature still showng even the faintest sign of life and some underneath that weren't, that nobody else would touch with a barge pole.

One thing for sure you will never find the faintest trace of any form of prime meat in the midst of the various spicy sauces served up in an Indian restaurant.
But isn't that the point? You take crap cuts of meat and make something delicious out of them.

Terry Pratchett wrote about the way that certain people could make a delicious meal out of a pig's ear. He said ""Yeah. You know what that tells me? That tell me that someone else is getting the rest of the pig."
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

In the UK a lamb is normally about 6 months old at its best, and to take to auction you want them to be weighing about 27 kilos up to 40, unfortunately a lot of stock is lost due to the weather, no matter how vigilant you are, all farmers loose sheep, and the foxes are a real nusiance at lambing time
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
But isn't that the point? You take crap cuts of meat and make something delicious out of them.

Terry Pratchett wrote about the way that certain people could make a delicious meal out of a pig's ear. He said ""Yeah. You know what that tells me? That tell me that someone else is getting the rest of the pig."
Fair enough if you prepare it yourself, but I've come across some wierd virtually unidentifiable bits of meat in foreign restaurants.
I quite like the bits and pieces, giblets and all, but normally only if I can clearly recognize them or have fixed them myself.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Fair enough if you prepare it yourself, but I've come across some wierd virtually unidentifiable bits of meat in foreign restaurants.
I quite like the bits and pieces, giblets and all, but normally only if I can clearly recognize them or have fixed them myself.
If you can identify a piece of meat from a curry, I take my hat off to you.

Talent like that would go a long way in the field of forensic pathology.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

My sister who recently visited me says that her butcher told her that almost all New Zealand lamb is now exported to China - it's nearer and they pay a better price. Lidl do a very nice half leg of lamb that costs about 9 Euros. I purchased a couple a month or so ago. One I roast - very nice and meaty and one I slow cooked with root vegetables (where are the parsnips in Spain?). Both extremely tasty and a lovely change from the ubiquitous pork.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
My sister who recently visited me says that her butcher told her that almost all New Zealand lamb is now exported to China - it's nearer and they pay a better price. Lidl do a very nice half leg of lamb that costs about 9 Euros. I purchased a couple a month or so ago. One I roast - very nice and meaty and one I slow cooked with root vegetables (where are the parsnips in Spain?). Both extremely tasty and a lovely change from the ubiquitous pork.
They are around but mostly in stew packs at the moment. They do sell them loose but they definitely do not seem to be that popular here.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:49 pm
bil
Banned

(where are the parsnips in Spain?)..
They grow them here by the tonne, but for some reason, they just don't tickle the Spanish palate.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:02 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth living near Gib just to be able to buy parsnips and swedes.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
They are around but mostly in stew packs at the moment. They do sell them loose but they definitely do not seem to be that popular here.

Rosemary
We can buy them singly in our town at Charter, Hiperpatri and Coaliment. Swedes we can buy in Mercadona and Carrefour.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 24th 2011 at 12:10 am.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We can buy them singly in our town at Charter, Hiperpatri and Coaliment. Swedes we can buy in Mercadona and Carrefour.

Graham
I may ask you to do my next weeks shopping!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

My friend is Spanish and she said that parsnips are only considered as food for the animals.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:44 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
My friend is Spanish and she said that parsnips are only considered as food for the animals.
Yes they consider parsnips as pig food. Changing a bit now as have seen them on the coast usually around Christmas season.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:54 am

The same as swedes in my home town of Sheffield,(years ago). If anyone had served you swedes there it would have been an insult, the first time I had them I was nearly thirty they were and mashed mixed with carrots and grilled and I thought that they were delicious.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 24th 2011 at 12:57 am.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:55 am

I find that strange as here they are in every stewpack sold here.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 24th 2011 at 12:57 am.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:56 am

I may ask you to do my next weeks shopping!
With pleasure but I think that the postage may be a little expensive.

Graham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.