Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:35 am
  #211  
BE Forum Addict
 
Retired in Euskadi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Elorrio, Bizkaia
Posts: 1,037
Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
It does depend hugely on the breed.
Not necessarily. It's true that grass fed lambs are better than indoor reared ones, but breed has very little to do with it.
In the UK the Hebridean breed is promoted for its superior taste, but that has more to do with the length of time taken to rear the lambs, plus & more to the point, the lack of stress up to slaughter & the subsequent hanging time, which ideally should be at least 2-3 weeks.
Our lambs used to go to Farmers fresh abattoir, Kenilworth, from where they were loaded onto a lorry destined for France within 36hours; tasteless!!
Retired in Euskadi is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:21 am
  #212  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Not necessarily. It's true that grass fed lambs are better than indoor reared ones, but breed has very little to do with it.
In the UK the Hebridean breed is promoted for its superior taste, but that has more to do with the length of time taken to rear the lambs, plus & more to the point, the lack of stress up to slaughter & the subsequent hanging time, which ideally should be at least 2-3 weeks.
Our lambs used to go to Farmers fresh abattoir, Kenilworth, from where they were loaded onto a lorry destined for France within 36hours; tasteless!!
We have sent out hogget rams to sale and never once have we tasted any ram taint. As I said, it all depends on breed.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:10 pm
  #213  
BE Forum Addict
 
Retired in Euskadi's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Elorrio, Bizkaia
Posts: 1,037
Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
We have sent out hogget rams to sale and never once have we tasted any ram taint. As I said, it all depends on breed.
but hoggets are from any breed! Just a name for older lamb.
Surely you are referring to sex? Ram lambs can safely go to about 7-8 months without fear of taint, as can boars.
Ewe lambs taste better if anything because of the extra fat they carry.
Retired in Euskadi is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:32 pm
  #214  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Lamb so damn expensive and scarce in Spain?

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
but hoggets are from any breed! Just a name for older lamb.
Surely you are referring to sex? Ram lambs can safely go to about 7-8 months without fear of taint, as can boars.
Ewe lambs taste better if anything because of the extra fat they carry.
I thought thats what we were talking about???!!!

God dear, are people on here so desperate to be right that they simply can't accept that someone else might have a valid point?

I will reiterate what I said... I have sent, and I might add that most of the breeders of the sheep I have do the same, hoggets to slaughter as rams, and I have never once had any ram taint... But like I said, it depends on breeds, I DO NOT HAVE A LAMB BREED, I have a mutton breed.... therefore.... oh forget it, I withdraw my point, you are right.
rugbymatt is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.