Reload this Page >

Why i called myself advent7006

Why i called myself advent7006

Old May 13th 2008, 10:13 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why i called myself advent7006

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
now is the best time to do it, take a cutting from any semi hard wood, the harder the cutting the harder it will be to re-root, but if the cutting is too soft wood it is more likely to rot.

The best way to do it is to put a few cuttings into a ot, put some canes over it and pull some plastic over the top, don't put it in direct sunlight, and the condensation from the plastic will water it just enough, so long as you atch the soil doesn't dry out. They should root within 6 weeks.

Alternatively look at the pot to see if the parent plant has put any suckers out, if its stressed then it should have, simply cut these from the parent plant and plant them on.

Oh and I have decided to take a mufty day
Cheers for that, any call for rooting compound or anything?

I really want to try and save it as the tree has been going since i was a kid and always brings back memories of my grandmother when I see it.

I was hoping to take it/bit of out to Spain with me to grow, here's hoping.

The roots seem to be in good condition, the branches that are there seem to be ok but the leafs have gone hard and falling off and the buds that formed last year to come out this year are dropping off to! if that's any help..

So basically cut at a angle? and put directly into earth? not into water to begin with? as you can tell, i'm no percy thrower or whatever he was called! Though I do actually really enjoy gardening!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:23 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

and that doesn't include me I hasten to add.
Of course it doesnt!

What is a mufty day?
Old May 13th 2008, 10:24 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Cheers for that, any call for rooting compound or anything?

I really want to try and save it as the tree has been going since i was a kid and always brings back memories of my grandmother when I see it.

I was hoping to take it/bit of out to Spain with me to grow, here's hoping.

The roots seem to be in good condition, the branches that are there seem to be ok but the leafs have gone hard and falling off and the buds that formed last year to come out this year are dropping off to! if that's any help..

So basically cut at a angle? and put directly into earth? not into water to begin with? as you can tell, i'm no percy thrower or whatever he was called! Though I do actually really enjoy gardening!
a rooting hormone containing indolebutyric acid will make rooting easier, but its not essential, and a potting compost would be ideal.

When you lifted the parent plant did you prune it back?

It sounds like it is just very stressed, Rhodies are notoriously hard to kill, as any conservation officer on heathland will tell you, but they get stressed and it may just need a very hard prune, some slow release fert.. and allowed to recover a bit.

any cutting should be taken from any newish tip growth, about 2-4 inches long, remove any lower leaves and just leave a few on top, you can also cut the tips of the leaves off, to help them out a bit more, and cut away a strip of bark either side of the cut end, this wound will be where the root system develops.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Of course it doesnt!

What is a mufty day?
your sarcasm has been noted!

Its a day we used to have at school where you dressed up silly and didn't really do much.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:25 pm

a rooting hormone containing indolebutyric acid will make rooting easier, but its not essential, and a potting compost would be ideal.

It sounds like it is just very stressed, Rhodies are notoriously hard to kill, as any conservation officer on heathland will tell you, but they get stressed and it may just need a very hard prune, some slow release fert.. and allowed to recover a bit.

any cutting should be taken from any newish tip growth, about 2-4 inches long, remove any lower leaves and just leave a few on top, you can also cut the tips of the leaves off, to help them out a bit more, and cut away a strip of bark either side of the cut end, this wound will be where the root system develops.

Ive been quoting your article this morning to my neighbours who want to move some plants!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:26 pm

your sarcasm has been noted!

Its a day we used to have at school where you dressed up silly and didn't really do much.
I wasnt being sarcastic!

So what you wearing then?
Old May 13th 2008, 10:26 pm
Straw Man.

Ive been quoting your article this morning to my neighbours who want to move some plants!
I have just read it.................

Its got my name in bold!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:27 pm
Straw Man.

I wasnt being sarcastic!

So what you wearing then?
I haven't decided what to wear yet..........
Old May 13th 2008, 10:29 pm

I have just read it.................

Its got my name in bold!
I know!

I did warn you

Are you pleased with it?
Old May 13th 2008, 10:29 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers mate, I'll do that as soon as I get back..

Last year some bloke doing the drains clumped half of it off by accident, which I believe is probably what started its demise.

And yes, pruned the areas which didn't have leaf form on it as I was hoping it being in new soil it would 'rebound' quite quickly...

Old May 13th 2008, 10:30 pm
Straw Man.

I know!

I did warn you

Are you pleased with it?
Its OK, I have made a mistake though. I said the Summer Rain and meant winter rain!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by zel
Cheers mate, I'll do that as soon as I get back..

Last year some bloke doing the drains clumped half of it off by accident, which I believe is probably what started its demise.

And yes, pruned the areas which didn't have leaf form on it as I was hoping it being in new soil it would 'rebound' quite quickly...
Problem is Zel, if the plant has been lifted recently it will always go into shock.

Its easy to avoid but it takes a little time.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:31 pm

Its OK, I have made a mistake though. I said the Summer Rain and meant winter rain!
I did notice that and thought "it doesnt bloody rain in summer"
Old May 13th 2008, 10:34 pm
Straw Man.

I did notice that and thought "it doesnt bloody rain in summer"
such a twat!

I looked at the master copy and I wrote in in that too.

Thats my problem, by the time I am writing one sentence I am thinking about the next one, I talk like it as well.

Its a symptom of my Tourettes
Old May 13th 2008, 10:38 pm

such a twat!

I looked at the master copy and I wrote in in that too.

Thats my problem, by the time I am writing one sentence I am thinking about the next one, I talk like it as well.

Its a symptom of my Tourettes
Me? A twat?............I am deeply hurt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.