Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do Spaniards hate British so much?

Why do Spaniards hate British so much?

Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:27 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do Spaniards hate British so much?

I asked this question exactly a year ago, and my opinion has not changed, if anything my perception of Spaniards hating British people has increased. Spaniards seem to think British people are very racist, and never pass up on an opportunity to dig the dirt on British people in this respect. The reality is Spain is far more racist than the UK, your average Spaniard would probably cross to the otherside of the street if he saw a black man coming.

If you go on any Spaniard internet forum, you'll see what a racist bunch the Spaniards are, they hate Moroccans and British people with a passion, and the pure venom they have towards these people is quite shocking. Towards British people the racism is quite institutionalised too, with the local governments taking great pleasure in demolishing houses and flats purchased by British people, despite permission having been grantded by the national government.

My experience of Spanish is they're a nasty bunch of people who for some reason have taken quite a dislike to the British.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Spaniards hate British so much?

Well done, you've just posted the most hateful and racist post of the year!

Ironic really

Just to mention the obvious, I havent observed any anti-British behaviour at all and I speak fluent Spanish, am married to a Spaniard, work with Spanish people and go on Spanish forums from time to time.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well done, you've just posted the most hateful and racist post of the year!
If this is the most racist post of the year this is quite a sanitised little forum you have here.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:36 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
I asked this question exactly a year ago, and my opinion has not changed, if anything my perception of Spaniards hating British people has increased. Spaniards seem to think British people are very racist, and never pass up on an opportunity to dig the dirt on British people in this respect. The reality is Spain is far more racist than the UK, your average Spaniard would probably cross to the otherside of the street if he saw a black man coming.

If you go on any Spaniard internet forum, you'll see what a racist bunch the Spaniards are, they hate Moroccans and British people with a passion, and the pure venom they have towards these people is quite shocking. Towards British people the racism is quite institutionalised too, with the local governments taking great pleasure in demolishing houses and flats purchased by British people, despite permission having been grantded by the national government.

My experience of Spanish is they're a nasty bunch of people who for some reason have taken quite a dislike to the British.
Maybe its just you??? I dont know or care what they think of brits in general cos actually I'm sure I would agree with their dislike of the British stereotype!!! However, I've yet to find a Spanish person who has shown me anything but friendliness, politeness and courteousness

Jo xxx
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think are simply hugely generalising, or speaking from your own experiences. I am sure there are Spaniards that hate the British, Germans, French and Italians just as much as there are Natives in the UK that hate foreigners.

Ive not met with any "hate" here, in fact the Spaniards seem friendly and helpful
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Some interesting threads you have started in your brief history here :

Why is the UK so unpatriotic?

Why does the UK have this perception as being a homogenous, conservative country?

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

I don't agree with COF at all. I think it's an exaggeration. I'm Spanish myself and I've never noticed such strong hatred. The only moment when I might hear negative comments about Brits (and Germans) is when you see on TV hundreds of young people getting drunk in the typical cheap holiday places destroying everything. And even then, you can see on TV people saying they don't mind because they leave money for hotels, etc. I'm on Spanish forums and whenever someone mentions this kind of tourism, many people say it's actually our fault that we offer and promote it. So no, I don't think it's any of that.

Outside this example, Brits in general, I still think people don't hate them or "Towards British people the racism is quite institutionalised". The only thing I can think of is that you all end up moving to the same places so stupid people think they're being "invaded"? I don't know, I don't live in any of those places but I do think it's a shame you all choose the same towns when the country is so big.

And yeah, Spaniards hate Britain, that's why thousands of them go there on holidays, to study English, to work and settle there, etc.

Last edited by siesta; Aug 17th 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think most spaniards do dislike the British. A lot of stuff about guiris on spanish forums would be deleted off british forums. The funcionarios at the Town Halls hate foreigners and can be openly racist.

They didn't use to hate the British so much and I think this is because of the type of people who have been coming over the last few years. Not unusual to see on forums phrases such as "We get all the shit/rubbish from the UK"

Go into some shops where you are not a regular and step back a little and note how you are treated in comparison with spanish, even if you are fluent. Some will never admit it cos they dare not, would crack their glasses
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:18 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think most spaniards do dislike the British. A lot of stuff about guiris on spanish forums would be deleted off british forums. The funcionarios at the Town Halls hate foreigners and can be openly racist.

They didn't use to hate the British so much and I think this is because of the type of people who have been coming over the last few years. Not unusual to see on forums phrases such as "We get all the shit/rubbish from the UK"

Go into some shops where you are not a regular and step back a little and note how you are treated in comparison with spanish, even if you are fluent. Some will never admit it cos they dare not, would crack their glasses
Interestingly, I was behind a Britsh chap this morning in the health centre and he was, I felt, unfriendly, rude and unpleasant in his manner - of course he was speaking in English and asking for an appointment for his ear! The receptionist was equally offensive back and unable to speak english to him!! He went off in a huff and muttered to me not to bother waiting cos they havent got appointments for weeks and how useless the spanish were.. blah, blah!!! Anyway it was then my turn, I smiled and tried in my very best spanish to make an appointment and I got a lovely smile back and in very good englsh she told me my appointment was for tomorrow!!!!!

Its all in the delivery and if you're going to be an arrogant, miserable git, then expect that back atcha!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

In these topics there's always the same story. I don't know you all, but the negative comments always come from the same people, who don't seem to be that comfortable living here. I think it's sad that you have to experience that, jackytoo. I still think I don't see any of that where I live, maybe because there are much less foreigners. Oh, and it's funny that this Spanish expat forum I'm in...someone started a new thread yesterday: Why do British hate Spaniards?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
for tomorrow!!!!!

Its all in the delivery and if you're going to be an arrogant, miserable git, then expect that back atcha!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Absolutely. Spanish people are generally very proud, especially in Andalucia. If they ever think you are talking down to them then expect the worst possible service.

But that is because they are human. If I was in the North of England where I grew up and Germans constantly shouted at me..in German (not that they ever go there!) then I would be very rude back and probably spit in their tea, if I was making them one.

But thats very little to do with nationality and everything to do with being a nice person
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Some interesting threads you have started in your brief history here :

Why is the UK so unpatriotic?

Why does the UK have this perception as being a homogenous, conservative country?

Do you think the Spanish contempt for British people is unfair?
Based on what his friends have told him.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo

When I fell off the ladder and got taken to hospital one of the Spanish neighbours apparently cried and afterwards caught the train all the way to Valencia several times to visit me.

I reckon its down to the area you live in ... I see nothing of what you describe here.

Maybe Spanish forums are populated by Spaniards that moan about things all the time ... who knows .... It wouldnt happen here would it
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:40 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to think that British people aren´t well received in most countries - not just in Spain. Many tend to be arrogant and expect everyone to speak English.

Sure many other nationalities think our accents are quaint and love the English language, love London and Britain´s oldness..but love the British people? Why should they?

Most people, whatever their nationality or not welcoming of other nationalities..I think it´s just part of our nature. To feel threatened by outsiders..back from the caveman days maybe.

When we lived in the South,,,I did feel a bit uncomfortable because I felt that we (as in Brits in general) were taking over the place. Now I am in the North, I feel more comfortable, although still feel uneasy with my husband working here taking a local persons job (although it was native English speakers they wanted - but try explaining that):.

Never felt hated though..and we´re not the average white family.

Last edited by manamama; Aug 17th 2010 at 6:33 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
When I fell off the ladder and got taken to hospital one of the Spanish neighbours apparently cried and afterwards caught the train all the way to Valencia several times to visit me.

I reckon its down to the area you live in ... I see nothing of what you describe here.

Maybe Spanish forums are populated by Spaniards that moan about things all the time ... who knows .... It wouldnt happen here would it
I live close to where jackytoo does, but I dont agree with her at all either.

And I've spent quite a while at ayuntamientos and other government departments. I've always found the people who work there charming, polite and helpful. Although some were incompetant this wasnt because they hated the British!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.