British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Why do the brits do it to each other? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/why-do-brits-do-each-other-716124/)

paintermujer May 8th 2011 12:37 pm

Why do the brits do it to each other?

Yet another business is selling up near to us and its not because business is bad.

Its because the owners can no longer handle the backstabbing, lies and nitpicking by other english people.This is whats making their life a misery.

This has happened on other occassions around here where there are very few brits compared to other areas of Spain.

And if anyone has read my other recent thread we are now victims of what can be only described as cyberstalking - but we know whos doing it as we were their customers and they live near us.

What is wrong with some people? Arent they happy living their spanish dream like we are trying to do?

My question is what on earth is it like in areas where there are lots of brits all living close to each other?

Some people def have too much time on their hands.

jojojojojo May 8th 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Why do the brits do it to each other?

Does this happen??? I cant imagine I would even notice. Its best to just live in your own little world and let trouble carry on around and not get involved???? - You can tell I havent a clue - probably a good thing :confused::blink::rofl:

Jo xxx

Rosemary May 8th 2011 1:42 pm

Do not know what to say to you about this, do not understand the mentality of that type of person at all. We decided to live well away from other Brits and it is stories like this that make us glad that we did. I am sure that there will be a great deal of posts from people who live in areas where there are a lot of Brits saying that they have no experience of this type of behaviour and possibly just as many posts from people stating that they have had difficulties too.

Rosemary

whitelinen May 8th 2011 1:53 pm

All businesses suffer from disgruntled customers to a degree and if they are successful and good at what they do, they deal with the complaint(s) and continue in business.

I have never heard of anyone shutting down a successful business because of name calling.

However, if for instance, businesses make distorted claims as to what they do or size of business for instance they will eventually get found out and the stuff will hit the fan.

Rosemary May 8th 2011 2:13 pm

Before we moved to Spain in 2006 and I was following the forums there was one that appeared to be centred on Lliria that made us think twice about moving to Spain. If my memory serves me correctly there seemed to be two factions and much of the forum was centred on the nastiness of the two groups. I was a member but just ignored the forum eventually, it was also one of the reasons that we decided to live with the Spanish.

Graham

JLFS May 8th 2011 2:25 pm

Why are people so surprised, the same thing happens in Spain with Spanish busineess as well, is that so hard for anyone to fathom out?

I have known new business start up and demand that wholesalers do not deal anymore with a smaller, long established company, if they want to have their custom, and the wholesaler has caved in to the demands.

I have known a decorating company that consistanly put in low quotes to force the competition out of business, and then when they were left with the monopoly, then, changed their pricing, as they had been losing money with the low quotes.

All this happened with Spanish companies, and sure it happens in the UK too, it is not a practice that only expats are doing to eachother.

Sadly it seems to be part and parcel of being in business, and always will be, which includes bad mouthing, undercutting, dirty tricks etc

Dick Dasterdly May 8th 2011 2:39 pm

All peaceful and quiet around here. :)

Rosemary May 8th 2011 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9350796)
I have known a decorating company that consistanly put in low quotes to force the competition out of business, and then when they were left with the monopoly, then, changed their pricing, as they had been losing money with the low quotes

Standard practice with the supermarkets in GB and no doubt elsewhere. It is the reason that many people decry capitalism as being totally immoral. The problem as with liberal democracies, IMHO, for all of their faults no-one has thought up more successful systems for all their failings.

Graham

JLFS May 8th 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9350809)
Standard practice with the supermarkets in GB and no doubt elsewhere. It is the reason that many people decry capitalism as being totally immoral. The problem as with liberal democracies, IMHO, for all of their faults no-one has thought up more successful systems for all their failings.

Graham

Too right, there have been reports of some supemarkets selling items at less than cost price, mainly to stuff the competition, and smaller business cannot hope to compete.

In fact quite a lot of TV ads recently, are not just stating the price of their own goods, but telling the public how much cheaper it is compared to the main competitors.

At one time that would have been considered unethical, but now its common place.

whitelinen May 8th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9350782)
Before we moved to Spain in 2006 and I was following the forums there was one that appeared to be centred on Lliria that made us think twice about moving to Spain. If my memory serves me correctly there seemed to be two factions and much of the forum was centred on the nastiness of the two groups.

Surprised that you havnt connected some of the main players on that forum with some of the members here, same style and even same user names !

It´s a very small forum world.

rugbymatt May 8th 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 9350648)

Its because the owners can no longer handle the backstabbing, lies and nitpicking by other english people.This is whats making their life a misery.

Not just in Spain... why do you think I am back in Norfolk?

JLFS May 8th 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9350909)
Not just in Spain... why do you think I am back in Norfolk?

Coz it bootifull.....:D

rugbymatt May 8th 2011 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9350915)
Coz it bootifull.....:D

Yeah... that as well.... pffft!

Fred James May 8th 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9350809)
The problem as with liberal democracies, IMHO, for all of their faults no-one has thought up more successful systems for all their failings.

As Winston Churchill famously said:-

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

Mitzyboy May 8th 2011 5:27 pm

As said, I'm not sure why the surprise.

When I lived in the UK I chose my friends carefully. When I came to Spain I chose in the same way .... on the basis that if I didnt want to mix with that kind of person in the UK, why do it here!

Our friends here are French, Spanish and English. None stab backs, and all are just content just to enjoy each others company

If I'm sitting in a bar and some English twit stars gobbing off or being annoying I simply move away or just dont go there again :)

Frankly people should have better things to do with their time than backstab or snipe, and imho that applies to both forums and real life :lol: Lifes too short .... honest!