Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why did you come to Spain and what do you do

Why did you come to Spain and what do you do

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:51 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Why did you come to Spain and what do you do

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and to Spain, arrived with my wife for a 6 month project from Germany and she is considering taking a permanent position (in Madrid).

What I'd like to know why did you come (other than the weather) and what do you do and how do you like Spain, anything you really miss? Did it work out better worse than you expected. I've watched a few episodes of no going back and nightmare in the sun, that was interesting!

Anyways

To answer my own question Chris and I moved to Germany 6 years ago for a year long contract and decided to stay, we fell in love with the European life style. There are allot of things we like and lot we dislike (if you want to know more on that go to birtboard.de) but overall the good far outweighs the bad.

Biggest difference I noticed from Germany to Spain is the language, most Germans with perhaps the exception of East Berlin are comfortable with English, by that I mean If I'm stuck some where I can always find someone who can speak English. You can get away without ever learning German.

Not so in Spain, downtown Madrid right in the tourist area almost no one speak English, I was a bit shocked at that. Pretty frustrating when you can't even order your morning coffee or ask where the toilets are! I've picked up a few phrase but have a ways to go.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you come to Spain and what do you do

Hi tim hortons man

We have been here for two and half years, you can get help with your Spanish there are free classes you can go to, which I found extremely useful.
We are into scuba, which I teach when we have people here, also we both like the social life, mainly with the locals (Spanish), that has a also helped with the language which I agree, was quite hard when we arrived as nobody speaks English here, we walked around with a very large dictionary to start with.
As for food, well do I not miss too much because our tastes have changed, have had to as we cannot get English food around here, but now when we go back to UK, I find I do not like the things I used to (well mostly).
We are very lucky if the fact we get vast quantity of fresh veg from our neighbours, too much to cope with, large freezer has helped that problem.
No regrets except I miss the family in England so have a trip now and then to see them.

Regards pwwm
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you come to Spain and what do you do

I'm not there at all yet, and you're all making me sick with envy!

We've owned a place there for 18 months and every time we go there we feel really "at home".

I like the pace of life in Spain, and as I'm lucky enough to not have to work when I get there we intend to travel around seeing the different areas.

I want to start a small internet sales business to keep me busy and I'm basically just going to enjoy being able to do things at the speed I want to do them rather than rush around all the time