Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is the British media so anti-Spain?

Why is the British media so anti-Spain?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is the British media so anti-Spain?

The latest economic news in Spain is that unemployment has fallen slightly, possibly signalling a recovering. Whether that is sustainable remains to be seen, but a fall in unemployment can only be a good thing.

However, the Guardian are reporting that youth unemployment is up in Spain, quoting dubious Eurostat figures, probably hand picked to suit their editorial line.

The British media seems to be constantly negative towards Spain, continually sensationalising its economic problems and continually writing about how its all doom and gloom and how hundreds of thousands of Spaniards are going to be flooding the UK job market - something that is yet to materialise.

I wonder if the media does it to detract away from the UK's own economic problems and make the British public focus on Spain while thinking that everything in the UK is absolutely fine and that economic problems only happen in Spain and mainland Europe!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is the British media so anti-Spain?

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
The latest economic news in Spain is that unemployment has fallen slightly, possibly signalling a recovering. Whether that is sustainable remains to be seen, but a fall in unemployment can only be a good thing.

However, the Guardian are reporting that youth unemployment is up in Spain, quoting dubious Eurostat figures, probably hand picked to suit their editorial line.

The British media seems to be constantly negative towards Spain, continually sensationalising its economic problems and continually writing about how its all doom and gloom and how hundreds of thousands of Spaniards are going to be flooding the UK job market - something that is yet to materialise.

I wonder if the media does it to detract away from the UK's own economic problems and make the British public focus on Spain while thinking that everything in the UK is absolutely fine and that economic problems only happen in Spain and mainland Europe!
Its fashionable at the moment so they can write lots of easy stories rehashing the same old material

To be fair, the opposite was true 10 years ago and most things you saw in the British press were very positive about Spain

I work with a German colleague who was worried for my well being because she had read that people in Spain had to hunt through dustbins for food
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:20 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Another one........Stevie and Cman will love you and your little gems.

Have you been about and about talking to Spanish folk lately?

You know the ones I mean, the ones that are getting moved around to different branches of the company that they have been in for years, so that they will be forced to give up thier jobs and lose their employment rights?

The ones that see no future for themselves and their families.

If you think that the UK press are anti Spain, then go and listen to what the Spanish themselves are saying (not in cmans world of course, but that is a different matter)about it, listen to the negativity that abounds.

I think you will have your eyes opened.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:25 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Its fashionable at the moment so they can write lots of easy stories rehashing the same old material

To be fair, the opposite was true 10 years ago and most things you saw in the British press were very positive about Spain

I work with a German colleague who was worried for my well being because she had read that people in Spain had to hunt through dustbins for food
But people do hunt thruogh dustbins for what ever they can find, which includes food.

I knew that your charade of the charitable, caring for the underdog, socially aware Cman was only a flash in the pan.

Welcome back to the CMAN we know and love.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

However, the are reporting that youth unemployment is up in Spain, quoting dubious Eurostat figures, probably hand picked to suit their editorial line.

Do you think it's one way traffic, that the Spanish don't delight in reporting anything negative about UK, they're over the moon, even more so since the Gib debacle. I had to laugh when you wrote about believing the Spanish figures unreservedly, but somehow the UK one's are probably pure fiction. There is a seasonal fall in employment every summer, come back and tell us it's still going down in say December.
The Guardian also reports today,
Spanish economy shows signs of recovery as GDP drops by 0.1%
Turnaround means economy could stabilise and even grow in third and fourth quarters
You are like a lot of expats, you have a persecution complex, you seem to think the UK is constantly rubbishing Spain. It's a UK newspaper whose target audience are UK residents, and if telling stories of the Priors etc, warning people of illegal properties etc prevents anyone from buying such a property, then for me it's a good job done. I've always said the Spanish themselves have no problem telling how it is, warts and all, that's the source I prefer to listen to, not some rose tinted glasses wearing expat.

Last edited by agoreira; Sep 3rd 2013 at 2:52 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Frontier queue

OK this happens every August, it is part of the economic blockade on Gibraltar.

August, more tourists about so longer slower queues.

This year is worse than most

But take a look on Google Earth , the latest image that includes the frontier queue is dated 8/8/2011, August.

The queue goes back to:- Latitude 36°10'2.38"N Longitude5°21'57.54"W approx 3 Km

That is where it appears to end, however it is because further away the image is from another date, so how far it really extended I have no way of telling.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

I always thought you lived on another planet C'man.
Now I know for sure, I find it hard to believe even in your perfect part of the world you haven't seen it,
It's certainly a common enough sight just about every where else.

In general, I don't think the UK media is anti-Spanish.
I have often seen praise given where praise is due.

However it's so painfully obvious that the on going Spanish protestations about Gib are too ridiculous to be considered even remotely justifiable and they are therefore printing it as it so obviously is, a pathetic attempt to divert attention from the desperate mess they've dropped themselves into.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:16 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the truth about Spain is rarely complimentary, especially matters of economy, politics, and corruption, which are the topics that tend to dominate international desks at all news organisations.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair the UK media has been quite skeptical about the improved news coming out of the UK economy recently.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The popular UK press is not anti Spanish, it is anti anyone even the Scots.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
The popular UK press is not anti Spanish, it is anti anyone even the Scots.
I don't think the UK press is at all anti-Scots. Perhaps you can provide us with a few links.

Nor is it anti American.

Nor is it anti-German.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardian is Pro Islam, and anti Christian.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Paranoid expats eh Why would the Uk want to detract from all the good economic indicators happening in UK. They say Spain has reached the bottom..because Spain says so It usually happens every summer when the crowds arrive...wait until October!

Patriot your posts are starting to remind me of someone This is a bit of volte-face from your other posts too
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

I come to this as most will know after so many years in France. And yes everyone says France is wonderful but it is populated by French.

Indeed my brother in law suggests we are still at war with France. As to Hollande I will say nothing.

However a personal statement as to Spain. Let us say that my wife suffers from a very serious condition and before leaving France we established both with the manufacturer of the drug and the Consulate in Alicante that is was available for her. It is fortunate that we are only here short term as a result of the following.

We brought with us from France three months supply of the drug and which France was more than happy to pay for. Then to the Salud in Javea and it was much worse than we ever thought high decibels in voice levels fingers being pointed at each other. The Consulate then Valencian Health Authority and then sorry no. Then an appeal then yes but only three months.

Is the salud there to treat patients?

So to Denia yesterday as in A and E sorry Valencia will not pay for it so essentially you might die. Valencia is not paying Pharmacists and why are you here?

Today a simple email to our Pharmacist in France use our health card and so next week back to France and collect the drug and back to reality.

We shall stay there as to health and tax in Spain we are not impressed. But it does have lots going for it save for the essentials.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

REf my post above sorry

I'm sure lunch was not that liquid

Just misplaced it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.