Why Ayamonte?

Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road
Default Why Ayamonte?

Hi

We are currently looking around Andalucia area both online and visiting, planning our retirement. We haven't been to Ayamonte yet but what are the benefits of the area and what would it be like to retire there. Is it all new or are there lots of older traditional properties in the area. Is there a lot on the market for sale. Sorry for the questions if they seem a bit dumb but I'm intrigued as it has a whole sub forum to itself and we might visit to see for ourselves. I retire in Jan 2016. Can you get the scheme were you pay into the Spanish health service after a year in that area?

Thanks
Roy
Old Sep 5th 2014, 10:16 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Ayamonte?

Hola

Ayamonte is a lovely area and has a ferry across the river to VRSA in Portugal so you get the best of both worlds. The Costa Esuri is about 8 Kms away; a new "town" it suffered in the crisis and still has not been completed. However a number of English speaking ex-pats live there and due to the size and nature of their problems, I believe the sub forum was set up.

I also like Sanlucar de Barrameda as a town and if I didn't live in Chiclana then either of the two towns would be suitable for me.

Davexf
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. There are lots of traditional houses and I see many Se Vende signs around. I like Ayamonte it is has lovely plazas, plenty choice of bars for tapas, coffees and plate meals. It feels comfortable and safe. There many shops and supermarkets and has theatre which has quite f concerts and plays. Casa Grande always has art exhibitions on and there lots of other events throughout the year around town,markets and sports events plus the golf. The added benefit as Dxf said is the proximity to Portugal and all it has to over, which includes beaches, golf, markets and a different style of food. Lots of places to explore all around. Come and have a good look round :-)

PS depending where you are there are stunning views too.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, it's a place we never really thought of, however now we will pay it a visit and have a good look around. Currently top of the list is East of Malaga, Periana, Canillas etc also Estepona looks good. We usually fly to Malaga would that be the best airport?

Thanks again, very helpful.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:38 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Malaga or Alicante for the East, depending where you are flying from. The Ayamonte area is also served by Faro& Easyjet

Davexf
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Faro by far approx. 45 mins by car on toll road, add another half hour approx. for non toll toad. It is the nearest or Sevilla is a possibility at approx. 1 and a half hours driving. I think someone said car hire at Sevilla airport was cheaper but don't quote me. Malaga about 3 and half hours away !
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jogger
Thanks for the replies, it's a place we never really thought of, however now we will pay it a visit and have a good look around. Currently top of the list is East of Malaga, Periana, Canillas etc also Estepona looks good. We usually fly to Malaga would that be the best airport?

Thanks again, very helpful.
Hi, the nearest airport to Ayamonte is Faro in Portugal. It just 45mins away Malaga is more like 4hrs, regards Bryony
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again, it'll be Faro we will fly to, from Gatwick. I assume you can drive hire cars in Portugal over the border to Spain.

Roy
Old Sep 6th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jogger
Thanks again, it'll be Faro we will fly to, from Gatwick. I assume you can drive hire cars in Portugal over the border to Spain.

Roy
Yes you can,let them know before you hire it, that your taking it into Spain, have a look at Economy Car Hire, brokers for car hire and usually all the extras are in the price,except your toll fees, about ten euros each way.

Ken.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ken, I'll look at them, that's sounds pretty good to me.

Roy